The Student Room Group

Ukcat and bmat exam

Hi guys,

im currently in year 12 and hoping to apply for medicine this year (october 2012). I was just wondering when can you apply to do the UKCAT OR BMAT exams? and can you resit?
Reply 1
no resits allowed
ukcat registration starts in may
bmat registration starts in september
You apply for UKCAT in early Summer
Apply for BMAT around September and no you can't resit
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
UKCAT you can apply for as early as this summer and you choose the date you take it, as you apply independently.
BMAT, you register through your school, around September time, and it is taken on the 2nd of November.

You can't resist either. I'd start preparing now if I were you, or as soon as summer starts, as they are hard!
Reply 4
oh okay, so if im in year 12 when can i take the exam? :smile:
Reply 5
ah okay thank you everyone :smile:
Original post by sals1234
oh okay, so if im in year 12 when can i take the exam? :smile:

Between about may and the end of august for the UKCAT (of this year)
Reply 7
Ah okay thank you :smile:
Reply 8
If you're school is not used to medical applications, make sure they register themselves for the BMAT. I had to do a fair amount of chasing to make sure they offered it.
Reply 9
okay, will do! thanks everyone :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by sals1234
Hi guys,

im currently in year 12 and hoping to apply for medicine this year (october 2012). I was just wondering when can you apply to do the UKCAT OR BMAT exams? and can you resit?

The rest are right about May for UKCAT and Sep for BMAT. As for resits not within the same year but each year you have to do them again if you're reapplying to universities that require it.
Reply 11
Hey all sorry to revive this thread. Basically I am in year 13 and I am hoping to take a Gap year and apply to medicine with my A level grades in hand (if i get AAA).

I was hoping to apply to a BMAT university but I know it is really hard, but can you possible prepare for it, would it improve your chances of doing well. Or is it solely down to how 'smart' you are? thanks :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by raveen789

Original post by raveen789
Hey all sorry to revive this thread. Basically I am in year 13 and I am hoping to take a Gap year and apply to medicine with my A level grades in hand (if i get AAA).

I was hoping to apply to a BMAT university but I know it is really hard, but can you possible prepare for it, would it improve your chances of doing well. Or is it solely down to how 'smart' you are? thanks :smile:

Yeah you would need to prepare for BMAT as it has a section with questions based on your scientific knowledge (Biology, Chemistry, Physics AND maths). And to be honest you need to practise the timing any way :smile:
Reply 13
I have a question as well...
I am going to take BMAT and UKCAT this year and might need some extra help...does anybody know if there are any separate preparation courses for the UKCAT and the BMAT??? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest