The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by LipstickKisses
What happened? :hugs:

Original post by DR20
Are you okay?

Well I was about to have a breakdown in public which I do try to avoid, mainly caused by many people constantly shouting at me for things I didn't pick up recently. Plus there was a fatal accident quite close to where I live so that wasn't nice to see. In addition, I'm really not in a talking mood since this afternoon and my mum has seen it as rude. Overall, a s*** week
Original post by cpdavis
Well I was about to have a breakdown in public which I do try to avoid, mainly caused by many people constantly shouting at me for things I didn't pick up recently. Plus there was a fatal accident quite close to where I live so that wasn't nice to see. In addition, I'm really not in a talking mood since this afternoon and my mum has seen it as rude. Overall, a s*** week

:frown:

I hate being shouted at, it makes me absolutely furious. I can't explain it, it just drives me insane, and physically hurts at times. It's also annoyed when you're mistaken for being rude, I wish people would understand that it's completely unintentional. Hope you start to feel better!
Reply 202
Original post by cpdavis

Really sorry to hear that, just remember next week is a new week :smile:
Reply 203
Lol, according to some idiot on TSR, because I'm a member of this society and gaming ones, I must be "a fugly tramp with a horrendous personality"

I don't even... :facepalm2: Some people are such idiots. :colonhash:

Yeah I saw that post too. Very silly.
Original post by Zottula
Yeah I saw that post too. Very silly.

It was rather silly, oh well just made him look stupid. :colone:
I love having Fifa 11 sessions with my gf. She's a pile of awesome.
Reply 206
Am I the only one studying Drama wiv Aspergers on here???
Original post by DR20
I wondered if anyone with Asperger's was studying Medicine ? and how they was finding it, I really want to either become a clinical Psychologist or a Doctor, Worried about it just being out of my reach and being far to difficult!

I'm applying to medicine this year :smile: I'm a bit worried about getting 3 A's (I'm definitely capable of it, but equally capable of getting 3 B's) but not majorly so. Obviously I might serioussly panic when the module results come out but I'll try and forget about it till then!

I'm slightly worried about communication, but again not overly. People have known me for years and not known I have AS, and I have been repeatedly told my communication skills are fine for being a doctor. But I am worried even so - maybe that's just me, I am a worrier :tongue:

I'd like to hear from a current med student or doctor as well though - anyone?
Original post by cpdavis
Well today went well :colonhash:

What happened? :hugs:

Original post by DR20
Are you okay?

Am I the only one who didn't pick up on the sarcasm? :confused:
Reply 209
Original post by Peregrinum

Most of the time I don't pick up on it either, but yet I got told I'm a very sarcastic person :confused:
Original post by SilverArch
I'm applying to medicine this year :smile: I'm a bit worried about getting 3 A's (I'm definitely capable of it, but equally capable of getting 3 B's) but not majorly so. Obviously I might serioussly panic when the module results come out but I'll try and forget about it till then!

I'm slightly worried about communication, but again not overly. People have known me for years and not known I have AS, and I have been repeatedly told my communication skills are fine for being a doctor. But I am worried even so - maybe that's just me, I am a worrier :tongue:

I'd like to hear from a current med student or doctor as well though - anyone?

Hi Silverarch and DR20,

I don't have a link for this, but I know that there is a group of Dr's with AS/HFA who advise young people with AS/HFA about Medical School application, and who may act as advocates for the applicants (to talk to Med schools). I read about this a year or so ago, and made a mental note of it as my 14yo son with AS is interested in Medicine:smile: I think I read about it in the BMJ.

There are certainly doctors with AS/HFA, though many have no diagnosis, it not an impossible career choice, however it is a difficult thing for ANYONE to get into Medicine, university places have been cut but the number of applicants is rising. My eldest son got into Med school last year - but around 60% of those applying to Medicine last year got no offer from any of their 4 UCAS choices. It's tough:frown:

I think potential Medics with AS/HFA need to be very strategic with their applications, as some Med school don't interview, some have role-play interviews, some have formal interviews, and applicants should take into account what their strengths and weaknesses are and choose universities which play to their strengths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mikeandadamsmum
Hi Silverarch and DR20,

I don't have a link for this, but I know that there is a group of Dr's with AS/HFA who advise young people with AS/HFA about Medical School application, and who may act as advocates for the applicants (to talk to Med schools). I read about this a year or so ago, and made a mental note of it as my 14yo son with AS is interested in Medicine:smile: I think I read about it in the BMJ.

There are certainly doctors with AS/HFA, though many have no diagnosis, it not an impossible career choice, however it is a difficult thing for ANYONE to get into Medicine, university places have been cut but the number of applicants is rising. My eldest son got into Med school last year - but around 60% of those applying to Medicine last year got no offer from any of their 4 UCAS choices. It's tough:frown:

I think potential Medics with AS/HFA need to be very strategic with their applications, as some Med school don't interview, some have role-play interviews, some have formal interviews, and applicants should take into account what their strengths and weaknesses are and choose universities which play to their strengths.

Thanks very much :smile:

I'll have a look for that group, sounds great! I never realised anything like that could exist - I thought doctors with AS would be a rarity!

I agree re. strategic application. I applied very carefully, and have two interviews and waiting for the last med school to respond. It's hard to sift through and work out where you have the best chance of an interview. Luckily, my favourite school was the place where I knew I would get an interview (above UKCAT cut off).
Original post by SilverArch
Thanks very much :smile:

I'll have a look for that group, sounds great! I never realised anything like that could exist - I thought doctors with AS would be a rarity!

I agree re. strategic application. I applied very carefully, and have two interviews and waiting for the last med school to respond. It's hard to sift through and work out where you have the best chance of an interview. Luckily, my favourite school was the place where I knew I would get an interview (above UKCAT cut off).

Yes, I saw that you had did that.... well done on getting 2 interviews! I read through the whole thread when I saw it (while looking for info about my middle sons current uni application). I was really interested to see what everyone had to say about their experience of having AS, as my 3rd son has it. It has been a very helpful thread to read, as a mother of a teen with AS.

I know a lot of Dr's, and AS/HFA traits seem fairly common in the profession, though most of them would probably not have quite enough traits to be diagnosable.
I would say that the way medical students are selected had changed a lot in the last few years, and the changes maybe make it harder for Aspies to get in, as there is more of a focus on interviews and evidence of team work/sport and not just academic stuff. When my husband applied to Med school (a bit over 20 years ago), it was ALL about exam results, hardly anyone got interviewed.

Good luck with your interviews :smile:
Original post by Peregrinum

:yes:

(I think :colonhash: is quite a "sigh, grr, for ****'s sake" face.)
Lol, according to some idiot on TSR, because I'm a member of this society and gaming ones, I must be "a fugly tramp with a horrendous personality"

I don't even... :facepalm2: Some people are such idiots. :colonhash:

people on the internet get their kicks from being rude 'cause their lives are so ****ing lacking. they're totally ****ed up and i wouldn't at all worry about it.
Original post by TheGreatMnMMystery
people on the internet get their kicks from being rude 'cause their lives are so ****ing lacking. they're totally ****ed up and i wouldn't at all worry about it.

I'm not overly offended by it anymore, if all someone can do in a debate is throw crap insults at me about this, their argument is looking pretty weak :teehee:
Reply 216
:sigh: I'm on the train back to Brizzle from a party with uni friends. It's weird. At school I didn't think of myself as particularly socially awkward (though I probably was) just too geeky and candid for the popular kids to like. And then in my first year of uni... Well I cringe when I look back. And then I got to know my choir friends who are similarly geeky and I felt at home. Anyway this party was with these friends (who I've only seen sporadically since we graduated in 2008, but who I'd call my best friends from uni. And it was awkward. And sometimes I said things and they gave me the WTF :lolwut: face. And I just felt... I dunno I hate realising that people I thought I was 'normal' around were just good at coping with me, and now they're not around me any more they're not and I'm no better :frown:
Reply 217
Original post by Cirsium
:sigh: I'm on the train back to Brizzle from a party with uni friends. It's weird. At school I didn't think of myself as particularly socially awkward (though I probably was) just too geeky and candid for the popular kids to like. And then in my first year of uni... Well I cringe when I look back. And then I got to know my choir friends who are similarly geeky and I felt at home. Anyway this party was with these friends (who I've only seen sporadically since we graduated in 2008, but who I'd call my best friends from uni. And it was awkward. And sometimes I said things and they gave me the WTF :lolwut: face. And I just felt... I dunno I hate realising that people I thought I was 'normal' around were just good at coping with me, and now they're not around me any more they're not and I'm no better :frown:

:hugs:
I'm very convinced I have AS, but I haven't been diagnosed yet. I don't want to go to the doctors because I think i'll be biased if he asks me questions, plus I don't want it slapped on my record when i'm applying for a job.

It's just that i'm pretty socially awkward and think very systematically and not really empathetic. I can be social and everything, but I usually think pretty hard or stare into space when i'm talking to people and get fixated on football/music quite a lot. Added to the fact that I used to suffer epileptic fits, perfect pitched(higher cases of autism in people with that) and have a pretty high IQ. I wanna know whether I have it or not. Plus I know my mum has said i'm autistic before (out of anger when I do something clumsy)
Original post by jam277
I'm very convinced I have AS, but I haven't been diagnosed yet. I don't want to go to the doctors because I think i'll be biased if he asks me questions, plus I don't want it slapped on my record when i'm applying for a job.

It's just that i'm pretty socially awkward and think very systematically and not really empathetic. I can be social and everything, but I usually think pretty hard or stare into space when i'm talking to people and get fixated on football/music quite a lot. Added to the fact that I used to suffer epileptic fits, perfect pitched(higher cases of autism in people with that) and have a pretty high IQ. I wanna know whether I have it or not. Plus I know my mum has said i'm autistic before (out of anger when I do something clumsy)

Are you planning on going into a career where you would be forced to declare it? For most jobs i think the way it works is you don't have to declare it but if in the future if a condition you previously knew about effects your ability to do said job an employer can consider this gross misconduct, You would also have protection under the DDA if you chose to declare it when applying.

Quick Reply