The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darth Stewie
Are you planning on going into a career where you would be forced to declare it? For most jobs i think the way it works is you don't have to declare it but if in the future if a condition you previously knew about effects your ability to do said job an employer can consider this gross misconduct, You would also have protection under the DDA if you chose to declare it when applying.

Well, I'm not too sure, I'm not even too sure on my career path, I might become a geneticist, but I also fancy becoming a football coach(if I decide to get the badges). So i'm not really sure whether I need to declare it.
Plus, I don't want my mum to know I might have a condition, I don't know how she'll react, I think she's a bit skeptical about these conditions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 221
Original post by jam277
I don't want it slapped on my record when i'm applying for a job.

:sigh:

There are only a very few circumstances under which you'd have to disclose (for example, applying to be in the military, I believe) and it isn't an issue, or even something people tell employers about, for the VAST majority of people. They're not going to tell your employer against your will. The NHS isn't organised enough for that :wink:
Original post by jam277
Well, I'm not too sure, I'm not even too sure on my career path, I might become a geneticist, but I also fancy becoming a football coach(if I decide to get the badges). So i'm not really sure whether I need to declare it.
Plus, I don't want my mum to know I might have a condition, I don't know how she'll react, I think she's a bit skeptical about these conditions.

Don't think your condition would stop you in either of those fields, the only ones that are really affected are very specialized roles that put you under severe emotional strain (although i would argue being on the autism scale could improve your ability to function in highly stressful situations in some cases but thats another debate for another time)

If you are diagnosed you don't have to tell your mum, your GP/medical center is legally unable to do so without your consent. Generally its up to you if you want to be diagnosed for peace of mind or if you feel like you could use some help. Are you currently doing A levels or GCSEs and planning on going to uni? If so its not worth missing out on a diagnosis if you feel you need some confirmation/help since you won't be looking at a full time job for a fairly long while and like i said you don't have to declare it if you don't want but thats pretty far in the future.
Don't think your condition would stop you in either of those fields, the only ones that are really affected are very specialized roles that put you under severe emotional strain (although i would argue being on the autism scale could improve your ability to function in highly stressful situations in some cases but thats another debate for another time)

If you are diagnosed you don't have to tell your mum, your GP/medical center is legally unable to do so without your consent. Generally its up to you if you want to be diagnosed for peace of mind or if you feel like you could use some help. Are you currently doing A levels or GCSEs and planning on going to uni? If so its not worth missing out on a diagnosis if you feel you need some confirmation/help since you won't be looking at a full time job for a fairly long while and like i said you don't have to declare it if you don't want but thats pretty far in the future.

I'm a first year in uni, I don't have a registered GP at my uni atm though. So then i'll have to do that as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kerily
:sigh:

There are only a very few circumstances under which you'd have to disclose (for example, applying to be in the military, I believe) and it isn't an issue, or even something people tell employers about, for the VAST majority of people. They're not going to tell your employer against your will. The NHS isn't organised enough for that :wink:

Oh ok, I didn't know that. I don't have a registered GP at my uni atm so I would have to do that first. Although I think i'll wait until I go back home and ask my GP there.
Original post by Cirsium
And sometimes I said things and they gave me the WTF :lolwut: face.

Last year, I was out with a friend and we were planning on meeting up with a friend of ours who is Autistic. He came into the pub, walked up to us and started rambling on, like he does. He then walked off and the person I was with, was like er, ok then. A few times, he's said stuff and my response is WTF.

Jam - there is no law saying that you must tell your employer. However, you can't moan if you don't tell them and you expect reasonable adustments.

On the subject of getting diagnosed, I am slightly confused. I received my letter yesterday. (which was vague:s-smilie:) The letter says that I'm going to be assessed by a psychiatrist? Why? When it's not a mental issue.:s-smilie: And do I have to bring someone?
Original post by OU Student
Last year, I was out with a friend and we were planning on meeting up with a friend of ours who is Autistic. He came into the pub, walked up to us and started rambling on, like he does. He then walked off and the person I was with, was like er, ok then. A few times, he's said stuff and my response is WTF.

Jam - there is no law saying that you must tell your employer. However, you can't moan if you don't tell them and you expect reasonable adustments.

On the subject of getting diagnosed, I am slightly confused. I received my letter yesterday. (which was vague:s-smilie:) The letter says that I'm going to be assessed by a psychiatrist? Why? When it's not a mental issue.:s-smilie: And do I have to bring someone?

Think getting the diagnosis confirmed by a psychiatrist is pretty standard. Don't think Gps have the skill set to do it on their own, only to pass on possible cases.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cirsium
:sigh: I'm on the train back to Brizzle from a party with uni friends. It's weird. At school I didn't think of myself as particularly socially awkward (though I probably was) just too geeky and candid for the popular kids to like. And then in my first year of uni... Well I cringe when I look back. And then I got to know my choir friends who are similarly geeky and I felt at home. Anyway this party was with these friends (who I've only seen sporadically since we graduated in 2008, but who I'd call my best friends from uni. And it was awkward. And sometimes I said things and they gave me the WTF :lolwut: face. And I just felt... I dunno I hate realising that people I thought I was 'normal' around were just good at coping with me, and now they're not around me any more they're not and I'm no better :frown:

I guarantee you that this happens. Perhaps you've just changed in other ways, or they've changed in other ways; perhaps their friends right now have become very different to any friends they ever had. Everyone gets used to their friends and is not by default used to anyone else - this is how everything from cliques up to entire cultures and societies forms. This happens between non-autistic people too. I remember giving one of my (non-autistic) friends a rather inward :lolwut: face when he had changed his accent and hobbies and life plans - he seemed like a different person. The differences, luckily, were superficial. But it took me a while to realise that. And I'm sure your friends had a great time seeing you. :smile:

on a depressing side note just googled "does asperger's need to be diagnosed by a psychiatrist in the uk" (no information sorry) and after typing "does asperger's" the first auto search provided by Google was "does asperger's exist" 4th down was really exist....i hate the world.

I don't see what's bad about that. There's no reason non-aspies should necessarily know whether asperger's is real or a sucky excuse. At least they're using their brains and going and finding out!
Why? When it's not a mental issue.:s-smilie:

What? :s-smilie: Asperger's certainly isn't a physical issue...
Original post by generalebriety

I don't see what's bad about that. There's no reason non-aspies should necessarily know whether asperger's is real or a sucky excuse. At least they're using their brains and going and finding out!

Fair enough, think my reaction was a bit ott. Most of the websites were for genuine information rather than the other nastier type.
Reply 230

That's really not helpful.

My point is that the things I said that warranted :lolwut: faces might have been ever so slightly off kilter / thinking at a tangent, but really weren't odd. But where in the past my friends would have just carried on the conversation, now it seems they have forgotten that this happens and are treating me like I'm doing what the person you mentioned did.

Ummm what? What did you think it was an issue with if not your brain? Why do you think we refer to non aspies as neurotypical? Because people on the autism spectrum are neurologically different.
Original post by Cirsium

Ummm what? What did you think it was an issue with if not your brain? Why do you think we refer to non aspies as neurotypical? Because people on the autism spectrum are neurologically different.

I was always under the impression that psychiatrist was more for depression and related issues...
I was always under the impression that psychiatrist was more for depression and related issues...

Psychiatrists deal with just about anything brain-related (except the physical aspects like scans and so on). I think you're thinking of counsellors? :smile:
AS can be diagnosed by different professionals. I was diagnosed by a community paediatrician, and I think comm. paeds tend to diagnose the young children with AS. You could also be diagnosed by a psychiatrist (like you are seeing) or by a clinical psychologist, and probably will be one of those two if you are diagnosed as a teen/young adult :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Sometimes I wish I could turn my mind off. :colonhash: Just for a short time. My thoughts are truly fascinating and they race at 300mph, but thinking deeply and trying to work out everything can be very draining. Yet when I 'relax', I get either bored or overly analytical and panic myself. It would be nice to have some peace from it sometimes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LipstickKisses
Sometimes I wish I could turn my mind off. :colonhash: Just for a short time. My thoughts are truly fascinating and they race at 300mph, but thinking deeply and trying to work out everything can be very draining. Yet when I 'relax', I get either bored or overly analytical and panic myself. It would be nice to have some peace from it sometimes.

Have you heard of alcohol? :p:
Psychiatrists deal with just about anything brain-related (except the physical aspects like scans and so on). I think you're thinking of counsellors? :smile:

Probably.:redface:

What exactly are psychometric tests? That's what I'll be having. A friend said that should help with the issue of having other disabilities for which the symptoms are similar (such as the hyper sensitivity) to that of AS.
Have you heard of alcohol? :p:

Haha :tongue: It doesn't work for me, for some reason I don't get 'drunk' unless I drink enough to supply a small army. I get a buzz for 5 minutes and then that's it.
Reply 238

Antidepressants turn this off for me, mostly. Not that I'd recommend this; it means it's quite a bit harder to work.
Haha :tongue: It doesn't work for me, for some reason I don't get 'drunk' unless I drink enough to supply a small army. I get a buzz for 5 minutes and then that's it.

I was tempted to try some... magical drugs this summer - as I too regard alcohol as inherently pointless.

I don't understand the " buzz " people get from it? like, the same with coffee... I can drink 5 cups of coffee and not feel different at all.

To me, it seems that alcohol is the slut enabler of the universe. Or rather, the: slut - hypocrite - dickhead enabler.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest