Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    That's ok I haven't had one since, but I had a gf when I was 15, so proves it can happen.
    Alright that's the motivation I needed. Thanks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It can happen - A male friend of mine with AS is married. However, unlike some of you, he wasn't diagnosed until he'd been married for a few years. (they'd been together for 4 years at this point)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had one of those bad days today. Didn't help that the ex gf was rubbing my nose in it with her new bf (who she was seeing before we ended). Even stooped to slinging insults at her. Oh dear.

Thing is I've noticed with AS (Or in my case anyway) is that I love being proved correct.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_master616)

Thing is I've noticed with AS (Or in my case anyway) is that I love being proved correct.
    I love that too. Once had a debate on Facebook regarding a maths question (geeky, I know) and nearly everyone said I was wrong. Apart from the 2 people with math degrees...

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone have any experience of obsessions towards others? I think I'm slowly messing up what was a good friendship because of this...

And to make everything slightly harder, he's Autistic too.
    i have the same. have the tendency to phone someone all the time when we have been in an arguement.. just to hear him say we will be alright.

Will see my uni GP sometime soon but what is a typical timeframe for diagnosis for an adult? I would like to know ASAP but relaistically I only have 2.5 months left of the year in which to do so, otherwise it will be autumn time before I can see someone.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Will see my uni GP sometime soon but what is a typical timeframe for diagnosis for an adult? I would like to know ASAP but relaistically I only have 2.5 months left of the year in which to do so, otherwise it will be autumn time before I can see someone.
    It probably depends where you live. I was first referred in January and had an appointment at the end of February. I now have a follow up appointment in mid April.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've now had to change my appointment. Have to wait around 3 - 4 weeks now.
    • 161 followers

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who saw the recently removed posts, I just wanted to again give a quick message of reassurance. Further to my post here, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with mention or discussion of Asperger's on TSR. Any suggestions that this may be the case are due to the misinterpretation of a moderation response to certain posts that were rule-breaking for other reasons. There's no reason at all for you to be worried.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okie doke. That was my understanding - general rule breaking and not prejudice to those with ASDs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are there any support organisations that can help, I cannot get help from NHS or social services, and there is always me being told "NAS, NAS, NAS" but I can't afford NAS's services and they don't operate in my area. I get the same form letter year on year from NAS telling me to go away, there is LITERALLY NO HELP out there
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need someone to help there is no help out there i need help
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutsman)
    I need someone to help there is no help out there i need help
    You are not saying what is the problem
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gutsman)
    Are there any support organisations that can help, I cannot get help from NHS or social services, and there is always me being told "NAS, NAS, NAS" but I can't afford NAS's services and they don't operate in my area. I get the same form letter year on year from NAS telling me to go away, there is LITERALLY NO HELP out there
    Is there no local Autistic society / association in your area?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Is there no local Autistic society / association in your area?
    There is BUT they require social services funding to use them, won't do ANYTHING if you don't have social services funding, like NAS they send the same form letters, and their office is an hour away by train (I can't afford the £13 train fare!!!) I can't even get a social worker I've tried MANY times to get help
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How's everybody feeling about Ricky Gervais' new show that's on tonight?

The character he plays is supposed to be autistic. Everybodies defense of it seems to be that you cant silence people just because they cause offence, but cant they see that it is more than offence? It is bullying, and If it is popular it will lead to abuse. Why cant he pick on people who can defend themselves?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)

The character he plays is supposed to be autistic. Everybodies defense of it seems to be that you cant silence people just because they cause offence, but cant they see that it is more than offence? It is bullying, and If it is popular it will lead to abuse. Why cant he pick on people who can defend themselves?
    I have never found that man funny at all.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)

I think it's a terrible idea.

And my dad who is mentally ill (not autistic spectrum) and is actually named Derek was really pissed off!
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sup guys. I haven't been diagnosed with AS but it seems very likely that I am on the spectrum somewhere. Anyhow, I had a major meltdown this morning because of sensory overload and I wondered if you guys had any tips or something on getting yourself calmed down and explaining what's happened to others, if you experience this too.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    Sup guys. I haven't been diagnosed with AS but it seems very likely that I am on the spectrum somewhere. Anyhow, I had a major meltdown this morning because of sensory overload and I wondered if you guys had any tips or something on getting yourself calmed down and explaining what's happened to others, if you experience this too.
    This sounds familiar. Except I do try not to have a meltdown. Normally, I only ever have issues in public. (triggers are certain noises and bright lights) I do try to hide them though. I can sometimes be seen walking down the street with my hands over my ears. Usually when running. And no, it doesn't help me run faster. It has been suggested that I wear ear defenders to block out noise. As someone with a sight impairment, that's not a good idea. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday and will see what they say then.

There's a programme on next Thursday by Louis Theroux (spelling) about Autism. BBC 2 9pm.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 17, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.