The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nmr1991
In the past, I wasn't shy, I just didn't want to embarrass myself by talking gibberish.

Same. I also don't really have anything that interesting to discuss. Much harder with new people too. I don't do small talk.
Reply 561
Original post by Anonymous
Speaking in terms of academics, it seems that I can only take in information that is in a written format (and not bullet points, but nice descriptions with context and everything). And all sorts of graphs and tables are good, I have a sort of photographic memory. However, everything verbal... I may as well be deaf. Also, I can only take in one kind of information at once and that piece has to be processed before another "layer" can be added. I terms of academics, the complete change in environment has made me go from being the top student in a gifted kids program to having the mental processing power of a turnip.

(I wonder if there could be something else wrong, neurologically? I've had neuropsych tests done and the results were abnormal.)

E.

I can relate a lot to this post; if something's detailed enough and in general written in a specific way I'll be able to retain it for at least a week in full detail, but verbally I take in very little and when asking for directions etc. I often have to get my phone out and ask them if it's okay if I record them etc.

And since leaving school to go to college I've gone from getting straight A's to E's and D's, initially I assumed it was that the work was more difficult but I honestly feel like the environment inhibits my academic performance etc.

I'm over it now though, I'm just gonna have to find something else to do that isn't so academically focussed.

And this is my first time posting in the thread, I was diagnosed with AS at 11 and semantic pragmatic impairment at around 6 or 7 years old; the latter I personally think suits me better but I guess AS has more awareness.

I used to have social anxieties and had a tough time interacting with people, but in the past year I've had a total change of mindset and I think now people just view the way in which I interact as perhaps a bit eccentric but it's not really a big problem.

EMZ.
Reply 562
I am filling out DSA forms because the process is underway for me to return to Uni.

I have been subjected to bullying on here (TSR) since March and I can't cope with it. I have reported it to the Mods when it all started and they threw it out because it was a difference of an opinion. I have been accused of attention seeking when in fact I have made posts out of desperation.

What should I do? I cannot afford a relapse at this crucial time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Emor
I can relate a lot to this post; if something's detailed enough and in general written in a specific way I'll be able to retain it for at least a week in full detail, but verbally I take in very little and when asking for directions etc. I often have to get my phone out and ask them if it's okay if I record them etc.

And since leaving school to go to college I've gone from getting straight A's to E's and D's, initially I assumed it was that the work was more difficult but I honestly feel like the environment inhibits my academic performance etc.

I'm over it now though, I'm just gonna have to find something else to do that isn't so academically focussed.

And this is my first time posting in the thread, I was diagnosed with AS at 11 and semantic pragmatic impairment at around 6 or 7 years old; the latter I personally think suits me better but I guess AS has more awareness.

I used to have social anxieties and had a tough time interacting with people, but in the past year I've had a total change of mindset and I think now people just view the way in which I interact as perhaps a bit eccentric but it's not really a big problem.

EMZ.

I can totally empathise with you here! Especially, the eccentric persona part, because I only received my diagnosis last year and ever since, take criticism about my personality with a pinch of salt. So they can like it or lump it!
Reply 564
Eugh, there is an ignorant tsr thread about aspie people, will link when I get home :colonhash:

Here it is: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2019969

When I saw this, I was quite annoyed as he is being really ignorant about people with asperger's due to him meeting one person :facepalm2:

This was posted secretly from The Student Room's iPhone App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie
I am filling out DSA forms because the process is underway for me to return to Uni.

I have been subjected to bullying on here (TSR) since March and I can't cope with it. I have reported it to the Mods when it all started and they threw it out because it was a difference of an opinion. I have been accused of attention seeking when in fact I have made posts out of desperation.

What should I do? I cannot afford a relapse at this crucial time.

I'm so sorry to hear that Morgsie. :console:

It may be that the 'attention seeking' perception from others is a misuderstanding of words? I know that sometimes, I can be quite literal and straightforward when speaking, which may be deemed rude at times. But, not having the medium to express body language, facial expressions or diction, makes it sound even worse; hence the hostile response.

I think you should raise the matter with the mods once again and remember that you can always PM me for someone to speak to. I totally understand the fear of relapse and I genuinely want to help. I'm sure others on this thread are willing to help too. We're a nice bunch. :biggrin:

Remember, bullying is not acceptable in any form and the fact that you have been subject to it is unfortunate. Bullies are cowards and it's not your fault. :hugs: Take care hun.
Reply 566
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
:hi:

Hey, quick question did I say something offensive in my post?
Reply 567
Original post by cpdavis

I know where your coming from regarding that thread. I have commented on it and got repped twice.
Reply 568
I'm so sorry to hear that Morgsie. :console:

It may be that the 'attention seeking' perception from others is a misuderstanding of words? I know that sometimes, I can be quite literal and straightforward when speaking, which may be deemed rude at times. But, not having the medium to express body language, facial expressions or diction, makes it sound even worse; hence the hostile response.

I think you should raise the matter with the mods once again and remember that you can always PM me for someone to speak to. I totally understand the fear of relapse and I genuinely want to help. I'm sure others on this thread are willing to help too. We're a nice bunch. :biggrin:

Remember, bullying is not acceptable in any form and the fact that you have been subject to it is unfortunate. Bullies are cowards and it's not your fault. :hugs: Take care hun.

Thanks.

I can not afford to to self-harm because it will jeopardize my return to university. When this started, I did raise it with the Mods and they aid it was a difference of opinion not bullying. I have been asked to note down the comments including my own and then go to them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Morgsie
I know where your coming from regarding that thread. I have commented on it and got repped twice.

what thread? There's one in mental health about Aspergers. Is it that one?
Reply 570
Original post by OU Student
what thread? There's one in mental health about Aspergers. Is it that one?

No, Cpdavies has linked it in his post above mine.

It is someone who finds someone with AS annoying and has said that all people with AS are annoying.

EDIT: Looks like the thread has been removed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 571
Original post by Morgsie

Are nominations for mods still going on? I can put in a nomination for you :smile:
Reply 572
Original post by cpdavis
Are nominations for mods still going on? I can put in a nomination for you :smile:

Yes, they close Friday. I have done a self nomination. I don't mind if you do put in one.
Original post by cpdavis

In short, yes.

EDIT: Oh my life, i'm so sorry, i've just had a look on your editted post and completely misunderstood it. I thought you had said, that THIS thread was another ignorant aspie one. I was the one who negged you for it too. I'm so sorry. :ashamed2: I shall rep you to make up for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 574
In short, yes.

If you want to, I don't mind discussing what I said offensive :smile:

In my opinion, I don't think that it was his place for making a generalisation about people who have asperger's from just his one friend. Then the responses he did on the thread where very ignorant (which has now been taken down).

Your view?
Original post by cpdavis

In my opinion, I don't think that it was his place for making a generalisation about people who have asperger's from just his one friend. Then the responses he did on the thread where very ignorant (which has now been taken down).

Your view?

Could you look at my edit please? It explains my idiocy and misinterpretation. You didn't offend me, it was simply my ignorance. I can't rep you for your earlier post to make up for it, but, i'll rep this one instead. Once again, i'm really sorry.
Reply 576
Could you look at my edit please? It explains my idiocy and misinterpretation. You didn't offend me, it was simply my ignorance. I can't rep you for your earlier post to make up for it, but, i'll rep this one instead. Once again, i'm really sorry.

Oh right, I'm so sorry :hugs: I didn't see the edit. Don't worry, I've done this plenty of times :teehee:

How are you? :smile:
Original post by cpdavis

Your view?

I can't rep you now because of the time in which I negged the previous one. But, I promise I will rep you once the time constraint is over. :colondollar:
Original post by cpdavis
Oh right, I'm so sorry :hugs: I didn't see the edit. Don't worry, I've done this plenty of times :teehee:

How are you? :smile:

No, no, i'm the one that should be sorry. :redface:

I'm good. How about yourself? :smile:
Reply 579
No, no, i'm the one that should be sorry. :redface:

I'm good. How about yourself? :smile:

Yeah I'm good, just been planning for next year :yep:

Any plans for the summer?

Quick Reply

Latest