The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generalebriety
Interesting.

I say I have no imagination or creativity, though I often do mean "I'm no good at making up stories" - because I'm terrible. But what I really mean is, whenever an original idea pops into my mind, I instantly reject it subconsciously as being a bad idea, an embarrassing concept, a silly naive thought, something likely to get me laughed at or pitied, etc. It's not just a subconscious thing, too - whenever I try to analyse these things consciously, I realise that I still agree with my subconscious self. It's the same reason I have a lot of difficulty choosing clothes (because I think they all look irreparably **** on me). But actually, the few times I've been forced to be creative, I invariably get funny looks, and I invariably hate my creation, but it surprisingly gets a bit of praise too. I wonder if it's a similar sort of thing...? Maybe not, but this is something I've wanted to sort out for a while, and it's kinda interesting to hear you mention something similar-sounding. :smile:

I'm no fantastic expert but this does sound more like low self confidence. I'm not saying its definitely one thing or another but it's something to bear in mind
Original post by Darth Stewie
Hey just though I'd drop a post, not been having a great time recently stress of university/life has taken its toll. My doctor has booked me in with a psychiatrist starting next week for monthly sessions and am gonna start taking SSRIs, anyone ever been on them / have any experience with what they are like? Did my own Internet research and some of the side effects people seem to have experienced don't sound great.

but yeh pretty fed up, managed to control my condition pretty much on my own since i was 15 so kinda feel like I'm taking a step backwards in that respect and its getting me a bit down.

How people react to SSRIs varies hugely from person to person and drug to drug. If one doesn't work for you, try another - you'll find one that does. :smile: I know how you feel about taking a step backwards, but don't forget, if your life has just changed in one way or another (university stress taking its toll counts!), then sadly your coping mechanisms might also have to change. This is uncomfortable, and probably stressful in its own right, but you'll soon find something new that works. :smile:

Original post by TheGreatMnMMystery
I'm no fantastic expert but this does sound more like low self confidence. I'm not saying its definitely one thing or another but it's something to bear in mind

Yeah, and a few years ago, I'd agree with you. I don't think my self-confidence is particularly low nowadays (I am fantastic, after all), but I still get this to an extent. Strange.
Interesting.

I say I have no imagination or creativity, though I often do mean "I'm no good at making up stories" - because I'm terrible. But what I really mean is, whenever an original idea pops into my mind, I instantly reject it subconsciously as being a bad idea, an embarrassing concept, a silly naive thought, something likely to get me laughed at or pitied, etc. It's not just a subconscious thing, too - whenever I try to analyse these things consciously, I realise that I still agree with my subconscious self. It's the same reason I have a lot of difficulty choosing clothes (because I think they all look irreparably **** on me). But actually, the few times I've been forced to be creative, I invariably get funny looks, and I invariably hate my creation, but it surprisingly gets a bit of praise too. I wonder if it's a similar sort of thing...? Maybe not, but this is something I've wanted to sort out for a while, and it's kinda interesting to hear you mention something similar-sounding. :smile:

It's not that I second-guess myself. I honestly just can't think of anything. When asked to think of something off my own back, I draw a complete blank - and when other people come up with ideas, I think "oh, that's a good idea" - but I can't think of anything myself. It's not for lack of knowledge or interest in the area, either.

For example, I spend most of my time at work working on a particular, quite uncommon, condition. I've read countless articles about it, written abstracts for presentations on it, read slides about it, planned entire conferences around the topic. But if I try to think of a project I want to research involving this disease area... I can't. I can't find a single gap in the current knowledge. Which is ridiculous, I know there must be LOADS of gaps (all the conferences are about how much more we have to learn!) but I can't find them!

Hey just though I'd drop a post, not been having a great time recently stress of university/life has taken its toll. My doctor has booked me in with a psychiatrist starting next week for monthly sessions and am gonna start taking SSRIs, anyone ever been on them / have any experience with what they are like? Did my own Internet research and some of the side effects people seem to have experienced don't sound great.

I can quote you various pharmacological values, chemical composition and (in most cases) draw you the structure of any SSRI you choose. Despite this, I have never taken one, and thus have no useful information for you.

This is what I mean about being fantastic in pub quizzes and **** in life. :P:
Original post by cpdavis
My main concern is if I have a child with AS too, as I really don't want them to go through the stuff I did :no:

Unfortunately there is no way to tell if your kid would have AS. :frown: Your risk would be higher, but I'm not sure if there's even a way to tell how much higher. But like someone else said - your own experience puts you in a better position to recognize the signs and do something about it. And there's no guarantee that you'd have an AS kid, he or she might turn out to be completely neurotypical.

(Hey, your thread is really doing well!)

E.
anyone ever been on them / have any experience with what they are like?

I took sertraline years ago. Minor night sweats aside when I was being weaned off it worked great. Not only did it cure the depression quickly and effectively, but it actually made me mildly euphoric for a while. Although maybe the latter was a placebo effect since I'm far more willing to try any chemicals they want me to than most people (or so it seems).

E.
Reply 45
Hello everybody :biggrin:

Original post by 0range
O.O however immoral I think I may be able to use this to get more money from student finance :biggrin:

Disabled Students' Allowance. Do it. Mine's paying for my en-suite :moon:
Reply 46
Original post by 0range
O.O however immoral I think I may be able to use this to get more money from student finance :biggrin:

Get my books paid :yep:
Reply 47
Original post by cpdavis
Get my books paid :yep:

It only buys me 'non-essential' books :holmes:
Reply 48
Original post by kerily
It only buys me 'non-essential' books :holmes:

This. It's the best part of my budget :grin: (although I haven't used it yet :emo:)
Original post by cpdavis
I think at this stage I wouldn't be worried. They haven't shown that Austism/Asperger's is due to genetics so for now just keep showing support :smile:

Thank you for your help; I think he's just worried about the possibility that a child might have to go through what he did. It's heartbreaking really, but I want us to be able to look forward to having a baby rather than him being scared about the possibilities. Thanks again.
Reply 50
Hi, I'm new to this thread

My name's Matt and I was diagnosed With Aspergers when I was 13 and I struggle with Social Interaction.

I'm at University and I havent made any really good friends here at all. The start wasen't so bad, I went out with my flatmates a few times and my confidence began to grow but I feel like it's been squashed again after Christmas :frown:

I was too shy to ask to move in with anyone so I'm staying at the flats for another year which I don't mind because I personally don't like Huddersfield, it bores me and I'm used to living in the countryside. But you just feel like you've failed a little when everyone else is able to get along with others so easily, you feel jealous and unloved...like you have the plague or something. You feel like they just don't like you even though you know it's all in your head...they just don't know you.

I can talk to people on some days and some days I'm just silent, but I don't really drink that much which everyone here loves to do and I don't smoke either, my dad does both and he's always miserable and I don't want to end up like that, plus my girlfriends mother died because of drinking so that puts me off even more :frown: She dosen't have Aspergers but she struggles around people as well.

I made all of my best friends at College but even there it took me a while to come out of my shell. I also met my gf at College and she comes to visit me every weekend which makes it University worth it. My friends at college are there for me and I always go to meet them when I go back home. We have all gone our seperate ways with some going to University and others getting jobs but we'll always be there for each other.

I guess I have a best friend, we get along really well. He dosen't like to go out and watches Anime all day but he means well. He quit College and has a part time job but has no plans for the future.

I plan to go down to London with my college friends once I graduate and live together. I do a BA Hons Drama course at Huddersfield and I did National Diploma Drama at College so we're gunna give auditions and get jobs in London or give it a go at least.

I only really have one other friend who has Aspergers as well so I don't really know anyone with the condition. I was glad when I saw there was a group for people with Aspergers on here, I hope I get accepted and can talk to people who know how I feel.
Original post by Mrx123
Hi, I'm new to this thread

My name's Matt and I was diagnosed With Aspergers when I was 13 and I struggle with Social Interaction.

I'm at University and I havent made any really good friends here at all. The start wasen't so bad, I went out with my flatmates a few times and my confidence began to grow but I feel like it's been squashed again after Christmas :frown:

I was too shy to ask to move in with anyone so I'm staying at the flats for another year which I don't mind because I personally don't like Huddersfield, it bores me and I'm used to living in the countryside. But you just feel like you've failed a little when everyone else is able to get along with others so easily, you feel jealous and unloved...like you have the plague or something. You feel like they just don't like you even though you know it's all in your head...they just don't know you.

I can talk to people on some days and some days I'm just silent, but I don't really drink that much which everyone here loves to do and I don't smoke either, my dad does both and he's always miserable and I don't want to end up like that, plus my girlfriends mother died because of drinking so that puts me off even more :frown: She dosen't have Aspergers but she struggles around people as well.

I made all of my best friends at College but even there it took me a while to come out of my shell. I also met my gf at College and she comes to visit me every weekend which makes it University worth it. My friends at college are there for me and I always go to meet them when I go back home. We have all gone our seperate ways with some going to University and others getting jobs but we'll always be there for each other.

I guess I have a best friend, we get along really well. He dosen't like to go out and watches Anime all day but he means well. He quit College and has a part time job but has no plans for the future.

I plan to go down to London with my college friends once I graduate and live together. I do a BA Hons Drama course at Huddersfield and I did National Diploma Drama at College so we're gunna give auditions and get jobs in London or give it a go at least.

I only really have one other friend who has Aspergers as well so I don't really know anyone with the condition. I was glad when I saw there was a group for people with Aspergers on here, I hope I get accepted and can talk to people who know how I feel.

Hi Matt! Of course you'll be accepted here! :hugs:

I know what you mean about everyone making friends easily, sometimes you just feel like you're tagging along which is really awkward. I personally get on well with other people who are a bit eccentric or quirky, maybe the same would apply?
Reply 52
Hi all :hi:

I worked with autistic and profoundly AS kids regularly from when I was 15, and kept wondering aloud whether I was on the spectrum due to the many many similarities I saw between them and myself, not just through the tick box signs, but also the little things I didn't know about before, like struggling to sleep without pressure, and walking on tip toes. Reassurances that because I like to read fiction and can make eye contact even though I dislike it and can hold my own in many social situations kept me from getting assessed for a long time.

Then after I graduated I worked as a personal TA for a boy with Aspergers. A boy who makes fantastic eye contact, and likes to read and bucks the trend in many ways, but is obviously an aspy. And so I finally said I wanted to get assessed. At which point my "don't worry about it" Mum said ummmmmmmm we have something to tell you. You've already been assessed. You are. We just didn't think you needed to know :rolleyes:

I tend not to mention this to many people. There are definitely plus sides to not having known that I was different in a particular way growing up. (I was obviously conscious of being socially awkward, and having a near-photographic memory for certain things, and liking order, and being personally disorganised and so on... But I just thought I was pretty weird :p:) My year working with Ben showed me just how much damage it can do to a kid being told that all their problems are because of their AS and that they're somehow pre-determined and therefore not something they have to take responsibility for. I am definitely better in social situations as a result of having to put up with the bullying and find a way through everyday life, rather than being told I could opt out. But I do have my regrets too obviously.

So yeah, that's me. Hi everyone.
Hi guys :biggrin:

I'm 17 and have AS. My main problems are sensory issues (I can't handle very loud noises or huge crowds) but I have minor problems with communication sometimes.

I used to be REALLY bad with taking things literally!
eg. Phone rings
Me: Hello?
Person: Is your mum there?
Me: Yes
And then I just put the phone down on them...I'd answered their question therefore the conversation was over. Same withe the front door :biggrin:

I'm much better nowadays :tongue:

I've applied to study medicine and agonising over the one place which has not responded! It's great when people who've known me for several years find out I have AS and are like "oh I would never have known!" They have no idea how much effort I used to have to put in to pull it off

Right now I'm working on creating a video about AS in schools...it's been great fun! Nearly done now, just adding voiceovers. I'd love more people to understand about sensory issues and AS, because most people only hear about communication issues

:smile:
How people react to SSRIs varies hugely from person to person and drug to drug. If one doesn't work for you, try another - you'll find one that does. :smile: I know how you feel about taking a step backwards, but don't forget, if your life has just changed in one way or another (university stress taking its toll counts!), then sadly your coping mechanisms might also have to change. This is uncomfortable, and probably stressful in its own right, but you'll soon find something new that works. :smile:

Feel better today, like you said not really able to get any serious consistantcy day to day so its a bit hard to stay my usuall delightful self :tongue: moving onto System Architecture at uni soon which i always found pretty peacefull so that should help a bit :biggrin:

Original post by Anonymous
I took sertraline years ago. Minor night sweats aside when I was being weaned off it worked great. Not only did it cure the depression quickly and effectively, but it actually made me mildly euphoric for a while. Although maybe the latter was a placebo effect since I'm far more willing to try any chemicals they want me to than most people (or so it seems).

E.

Just a bit worried about the effects throwing my routine even more offbalance, really hate not sleeping properly ect will give it a go and if it does cause problems ill talk to my doctor about it but hopefully it wont.

Original post by Terpsikhore

I can quote you various pharmacological values, chemical composition and (in most cases) draw you the structure of any SSRI you choose. Despite this, I have never taken one, and thus have no useful information for you.

This is what I mean about being fantastic in pub quizzes and **** in life. :P:

Do you do them as a calming technique? I basically use algorithms as my own personal stress ball lol :biggrin:. You participate in some very academically demanding pup quizzes :tongue:
This is to anyone: do any of you guys also have synaesthesia? I've never met anyone else with it, and it's apparently a lot more common in those on the spectrum. I'm curious, as whenever I talk about it in person everyone just looks at me like this: :lolwut:
Reply 56
Original post by LipstickKisses
Hi Matt! Of course you'll be accepted here! :hugs:

I know what you mean about everyone making friends easily, sometimes you just feel like you're tagging along which is really awkward. I personally get on well with other people who are a bit eccentric or quirky, maybe the same would apply?

Thank You very much for the reply :biggrin: :hugs:

I agree that I prefer someone who's eccentric or quirky and it does feel like you can just be tagging along...life can seem unfair at times can't it
hi guys, been reading this thread :smile:
on the subject of learning and processing information i was wondering if anybody is like me in this way------i find it really difficult to be selective with information when writing essays, i pretty much have to learn everything I know about the subject, all the context, and once i've written it all down only then i can start to be selective with the information and cut it down......the only problem with this is its massively time consuming, the end result might okay, but i feel like im working backwards and its very stressful now im doing all essay subject a levels.
....being selective isnt only a problem when writing things down though, if a teacher asks me a very general question, i never know how to answer as i have a massive overload of ideas crowding into my head usually resulting in me mumbling "im not sure", and looking like a massive cretin :P
Original post by Mrx123
Thank You very much for the reply :biggrin: :hugs:

I agree that I prefer someone who's eccentric or quirky and it does feel like you can just be tagging along...life can seem unfair at times can't it

Especially when you're younger. I've found for me as I've gotten older, it's gotten better, people start to realise it's okay to be different and respect that...secondary school kids, lets not even go there haha.

Original post by bananaterracottapie
hi guys, been reading this thread :smile:
on the subject of learning and processing information i was wondering if anybody is like me in this way------i find it really difficult to be selective with information when writing essays, i pretty much have to learn everything I know about the subject, all the context, and once i've written it all down only then i can start to be selective with the information and cut it down......the only problem with this is its massively time consuming, the end result might okay, but i feel like im working backwards and its very stressful now im doing all essay subject a levels.
....being selective isnt only a problem when writing things down though, if a teacher asks me a very general question, i never know how to answer as i have a massive overload of ideas crowding into my head usually resulting in me mumbling "im not sure", and looking like a massive cretin :P

Omg I'm not the only one :zomg:

I get this ALL the time, I hate writing because of it. I'm very talkative so explaining myself verbally isn't a problem, but trying to eloquently write an essay and include everything whilst your thoughts are racing at 200mph is extremely frustrating to say the least.

Do you type exams? It helps, you can jiggle around your text, add and subtract bits and stuff. It helps me organise my thoughts a lot better!
Original post by LipstickKisses
This is to anyone: do any of you guys also have synaesthesia? I've never met anyone else with it, and it's apparently a lot more common in those on the spectrum. I'm curious, as whenever I talk about it in person everyone just looks at me like this: :lolwut:

I don't have synaesthesia, but I do know about it and I know it's more common on the Spectrum. Have you read 'Born on a Blue Day'? The author has really complex synaesthesia. I loved reading it, it was fascinating seeing how he percieved different numbers (being tall or short, and being different colours etc). If you don't mind my asking, how does it work for you (which of your senses get mixed)?

I also have a question for you guys,

Does anyone else have movement/muscle/facial quirks? It's my biggest issue by a long way. I get the urge to clench and flex some of my muscles almost constantly, and also move my hands. I also tend to grimace without realising it. I have literally walked miles round and round my room because as soon as I stopped walking I got a really strong urge to start again. I mean my whole legs tingle a bit and I can't refocus my mind. They don't feel better until I either clench my leg muscles or start walking again. It used to be fine, it's a real hindrance now. I've managed to conquer most of my communication issues..but my body is the real problem :rolleyes: I also spend at least three hours every day with a book in my hands, flicking the pages..my hands have pretty much the same problem as my legs in other words. If they aren't moving I often get an overwhelming urge to move them/clech my hand muscles. I read it was to do with the senses... like the brain not processing senses from the body or something?? I also have a problem when walking - I can't look forwards because I don't know where my feet are going to land unless I'm looking at them. I'm don't walk in a clumsy way, but I can't sense how long my stride is and therefore where my feet will end up. I always bump into people because I don't look where I'm going!

Anyone identify?? I feel so freakish about this, because I haven't heard of anyone else with AS who has this
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply