The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by OU Student
I need advice please:

Short version - for the past 8 years or so (I think - either way, it's been going on for far too long) I have been obsessed with a friend of mine.

He said something a few years ago and I said nothing - I didn't say yes or no.

This year seems to have been really difficult. I don't think we've talked properly at all. :frown:

I have asked a few times if we can talk and he got a bit ****ty about it. He explained it's because that's all I ever say to him.

A few weeks ago, he said that he'll be talking at The Autism Show and I asked if we could meet up. He said that he'll see me then. We didn't talk at all and he said that he didn't see me at all after his speech.

All he's done for the past week is ignore me. I asked him if he had something and when I asked him to email me, he ignored me. He is still refusing to speak to me.:frown: Well, he's said two or three things to me; but we've not actually talked properly at all. Can't remember the last time we really talked.

What was this think you said nothing to? :hugs:

Original post by fire2burn
Hello thread users,

It was recently suggested to us that the TSR Asperger's Society could perhaps be moved from where it is currently in health over to mental health. As people tend to have a variety of opinions on this, I thought it best to ask beforehand if there were any objections to the thread being moved?

Please quote this post if you have anything to say on the matter and your views will be taken into consideration :smile:

fire2burn
H&R Moderator

Yeah it seems like a more suitable place then it being in health. :yep:
Hello thread users,

It was recently suggested to us that the TSR Asperger's Society could perhaps be moved from where it is currently in health over to mental health. As people tend to have a variety of opinions on this, I thought it best to ask beforehand if there were any objections to the thread being moved?

Please quote this post if you have anything to say on the matter and your views will be taken into consideration :smile:

fire2burn
H&R Moderator

Aspergers and Autism aren't mental health problems. They're developmental disorders.

Does anyone have experience with depression and Autism please? I've got depression again. Urgh.:frown:
Reply 622
Aspergers and Autism aren't mental health problems. They're developmental disorders.

Does anyone have experience with depression and Autism please? I've got depression again. Urgh.:frown:

Have you tried seeing if you can be referred by GP?
Original post by cpdavis
Have you tried seeing if you can be referred by GP?

I have an appointment on Wednesday. Hope they'll do something more than counselling this time.
Hello thread users,

fire2burn
H&R Moderator

I don't think it belongs in mental health TBH. A lot of people with autism get upset when it's referred to as a mental health problem because it isn't really. Like someone above me said it's a developmental disorder. It's kind of hard to classify but I think it's better in general health than in mental health.
Aspergers' Syndrome may be eliminated from the DSM completely as a separate diagnosis. Sign this petition please. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/967/895/737/keep-aspergers-a-diagnosis/
Reply 626
Hello thread users,

fire2burn
H&R Moderator

I agree with everyone else, Aspergers and Autism aren't mental health issues... it's not something that can be cured either as it's a development disorder. I think general health suits it better.
Reply 627
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
Aspergers' Syndrome may be eliminated from the DSM completely as a separate diagnosis. Sign this petition please. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/967/895/737/keep-aspergers-a-diagnosis/

I've signed this, why on earth would they even consider ditching this as a diagnosis? I was initially diagnosed of Autism, but then re diagnosed with AS. If they remove this as a diagnosis, this is a very stupid idea of the DSM :rant:

How is everyone btw? I have a meeting in regards to my DSA and DLA tomorrow and really really worried :unsure: OU, is everything alright now? How did the GP appointment go?

My run for NAS is a week today :eek:

Also, I didn't read the notice properly and was too quick to reply (need to stop doing that). It would be better for this thread to stay in health, as you could argue that you can cure a mental illness whereas Aspergers technically cannot be cured. It's more suited here.
Reply 628
Yesterday I was told I'm on the autism spectrum. I will be having an appointment with a consultant to find out where on the spectrum I am.
Apparently, I just have "Autistic Traits". Will find out when I finally get the report.
Reply 630
Apparently, I just have "Autistic Traits". Will find out when I finally get the report.

But wouldn't that imply a form of aspergers?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App
Original post by cpdavis
But wouldn't that imply a form of aspergers?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App

That's what I thought too. There is something called PDD-NOS which I seem to remember you don't actually meet the criteria for Autism. Or something like that.
Original post by cpdavis

Yeah it seems like a more suitable place then it being in health. :yep:

Original post by Fail Whale
I don't think it belongs in mental health TBH. A lot of people with autism get upset when it's referred to as a mental health problem because it isn't really. Like someone above me said it's a developmental disorder. It's kind of hard to classify but I think it's better in general health than in mental health.

Original post by Anon420
I agree with everyone else, Aspergers and Autism aren't mental health issues... it's not something that can be cured either as it's a development disorder. I think general health suits it better.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :smile: Given peoples feelings on the matter we'll be keeping the thread in health :yy:
Original post by cpdavis
I've signed this, why on earth would they even consider ditching this as a diagnosis? I was initially diagnosed of Autism, but then re diagnosed with AS. If they remove this as a diagnosis, this is a very stupid idea of the DSM :rant:

How is everyone btw? I have a meeting in regards to my DSA and DLA tomorrow and really really worried :unsure: OU, is everything alright now? How did the GP appointment go?

My run for NAS is a week today :eek:

Also, I didn't read the notice properly and was too quick to reply (need to stop doing that). It would be better for this thread to stay in health, as you could argue that you can cure a mental illness whereas Aspergers technically cannot be cured. It's more suited here.

Thanks cpdavis, it truly is appalling that they could even consider scrapping it. Absolutely disgusting. American fools. :angry:
Another question, sorry:

I have started to feel the need to chew a lot. (not eat - I'm not hungry) Does anyone else have this, please?

There is meant to be chewy things you can buy. Does anyone else have any of these things?
Reply 635
Been reading a little on autism/ AS and it seems that there are sections of the professional world which beleive that it is not a disorder at all but merely a difference? Interesting. Or kind of worrying that we can have diagnoses for disorders which may not even exist in the first place...
Original post by MTR_10
Been reading a little on autism/ AS and it seems that there are sections of the professional world which beleive that it is not a disorder at all but merely a difference? Interesting. Or kind of worrying that we can have diagnoses for disorders which may not even exist in the first place...

Some people do think of it that way, yes. But I would hardly call not being to eat certain foods due to texture, needing routines, not being to go to certain places due to light, noise, etc. a difference. AS can be and is disabling. Some people with AS will never talk, need care 24/7 and use nappies as adults. Would hardly call that a difference.

AS well and truly exists. It can be seen on brain scans. But I don't think it's a diagnostic tool that is used.
(edited 11 years ago)
As a small child I was beleived to have had certain traits of Aspergers e.g. problems with communication and I was pretty unsettled at infant school. When I moved to sixth form last September and it took me a few weeks to settle in, the conversation about Aspergers was bought up again as I believe it's on records from when I was younger. I'm pretty I don't have it but I think I still have some of the traits.
Reply 638
I would consider it to be a disorder because from when I was diagnosed, there have been times when I haven't felt like myself, that I had no control over whatsoever and these are things that can be controlled by a 'normal' person but an autistic individual would struggle over these actions. I'm not saying what, but it is something that a normal person would consider an inhumane or consider you to be heartless because you don't feel any interest in them.

A normal person can overcome these things, autism is a barrier which cannot be broken, it is a lifelong disorder which affects your ways of life, learning and interpretation of information and may draw your mind to do strange things or say things in ways people wouldn't understand.
Reply 639
I wouldn't rely on professionals who monitor the actions of autistic people to give you any real answers to your problems or an insight into what autism really is. Unless they themselves have it or have children of their own who have the disorder, you are best asking many people for their views, some try to overcome their differences and blend in to the environment of ordinary people.

It can't be seen physically, although in severe cases it can, sometimes I can't get things out of my mind and think other people can see right into my mind and know what I am thinking and it bothers me a lot.

I didn't think past much about accepting that I had autism, I didn't care about other people who hated me or just look the other way. Truthfully I have no friends to speak of, and all this is a product of autism and I just have to accept what I am.

Quick Reply

Latest