The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LipstickKisses
Does anyone here have any advice? Basically my school has told me flat out that they refuse to provide me with a quiet space to go when I go into overload/meltdown because "we're a large organisaton, do you expect us to provide this facility for everyone with aspergers?" They won't provide me with any support for this, so in effect they're telling me I can't come to school. My attendance is well below 70% because when I'm like this, I don't come in because I don't have anywhere to go. Advice? I've shown then guidelines from the National Autistic Society and examples of what universities provide, still nothing.

It looks as if I'm becoming quite the regular poster, you're all going to get awfully sick of me :colone:

Quote the DDA, which states "you must make reasonable adjustments". Do not allow them to fob you off.
Reply 81
Does anyone here have any advice? Basically my school has told me flat out that they refuse to provide me with a quiet space to go when I go into overload/meltdown because "we're a large organisaton, do you expect us to provide this facility for everyone with aspergers?" They won't provide me with any support for this, so in effect they're telling me I can't come to school. My attendance is well below 70% because when I'm like this, I don't come in because I don't have anywhere to go. Advice? I've shown then guidelines from the National Autistic Society and examples of what universities provide, still nothing.

It looks as if I'm becoming quite the regular poster, you're all going to get awfully sick of me :colone:

Don't worry about being a regular poster :tongue:

I find this attitude quite annoying. It's actually not that hard for them to provide a room where you can go to. As previously advised, go to your SEN department for help :hugs:
Original post by Mrx123
Does anyone on here have some days where they can talk to people and have some days where your totally silent and think everyone hates you...anyone experienced this before???

me!, I go from talkative and being happy with my life to thinking how everyone must hate me and being sad and having nothing to say:frown:
Original post by Cirsium
Is there any one teacher or person in the LS department who's fairly sympathetic who you could go to? Sometimes all you need is one sensible adult to fight your corner for you? But yeah I'd go with doctor's note: it sounds like they don't realise how debilitating a condition it can be.

I've done this today, he's said he'll try because he agrees with me, however the person I saw about it before is the deputy head and she outranks him, so he said if she refuses he can't do a lot about it.

Original post by OU Student
Quote the DDA, which states "you must make reasonable adjustments". Do not allow them to fob you off.

I did, they said I was being 'unreasonable'...I think I'm being perfectly reasonable.

Original post by cpdavis
Don't worry about being a regular poster :tongue:

I find this attitude quite annoying. It's actually not that hard for them to provide a room where you can go to. As previously advised, go to your SEN department for help :hugs:

Exactly, there are plenty of empty rooms available that's why it's really annoying. They claimed that there weren't enough rooms for everyone on site with asperger's to use, but we're not all going to be using it at the same time! So frustrating.

Thankyou all for the advice :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by someonesomewherexx
me!, I go from talkative and being happy with my life to thinking how everyone must hate me and being sad and having nothing to say:frown:

That is just how I was feeling today....sucks dosent it

Exactly, there are plenty of empty rooms available that's why it's really annoying. They claimed that there weren't enough rooms for everyone on site with asperger's to use, but we're not all going to be using it at the same time! So frustrating.

Thankyou all for the advice :smile:

I do not understand their argument. Not everyone with Aspergers (my brother doesn't, I sort of do; mine is unavoidable unless I want to live in darkness and I don't think a friend has it) has sensory overload issues.

Can NAS speak on your behalf? Due to completely unrelated difficulties, I've had to contact a charity to speak on my behalf due to issues I'm having.

Does anyone on here have some days where they can talk to people and have some days where your totally silent and think everyone hates you...anyone experienced this before???

Yes. But it's more so with new people. That caused an issue last year - I was out and only knew one person there.
I do not understand their argument. Not everyone with Aspergers (my brother doesn't, I sort of do; mine is unavoidable unless I want to live in darkness and I don't think a friend has it) has sensory overload issues.

Can NAS speak on your behalf? Due to completely unrelated difficulties, I've had to contact a charity to speak on my behalf due to issues I'm having.

Exactly, I don't think they understand it properly. They even said to me "it's difficult because you don't look like you have asperger's" Sorry, what? :s-smilie: No one looks like they have aspergers, it's not something you can see.

I didn't know I could get ask them to do that, I'll look into it. Would I just have to ring them? Thanks :smile:
You might be able to email them. Good luck and hope you get somewhere.
Reply 88
Argh. Just had my first huge aspy meltdown in ages in a big lab meeting. And now everyone's like Are you okay? And I just want them to leave me alone :cry2:
Reply 89
Original post by Cirsium
Argh. Just had my first huge aspy meltdown in ages in a big lab meeting. And now everyone's like Are you okay? And I just want them to leave me alone :cry2:

:hugs: What exactly happened?
Has anyone been diagnosed as an adult? Brother was diagnosed as a child and I know the process is different. I really want to know what happens. The only person I know who has sort of been diagnosed (He was told he's Autistic around 2004 and I remember him saying that they're not sure where he is on the spectrum)

I was. Or I guess to be more exact, the process was carried out when I was 16, but wasn't confirmed to me in person until I asked several years later. But to be honest I don't think the differences are huge since they still need to gather the same sort of data. With kids it's "how is it now?" and with (young) adults it's "how was is then?". I was asked about my problems and life in general, my mom was interviewed about some stuff (mostly social issues as far as I remember), I filled out some sort of questionnaire, and there was also a looong neuropsych test.

E.
Original post by Peregrinum
I was. Or I guess to be more exact, the process was carried out when I was 16, but wasn't confirmed to me in person until I asked several years later. But to be honest I don't think the differences are huge since they still need to gather the same sort of data. With kids it's "how is it now?" and with (young) adults it's "how was is then?". I was asked about my problems and life in general, my mom was interviewed about some stuff (mostly social issues as far as I remember), I filled out some sort of questionnaire, and there was also a looong neuropsych test.

E.

Anon fail. :redface: Oh well...
Reply 92
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Hi, don't know if I'd be welcome, but my boyfriend has AS and I'd like to understand more about it. He will talk about it openly to me, but there are some things that he says/does, and I don't know whether it's just a man thing or whether it's specifically because he has AS (in which case I'd feel guilty for having a go at him over it). I won't ask anything yet, as I don't know if I'm welcome yet, but hi to everyone anyway!

An AS guy with a girlfriend? Interesting. How did you meet him?

And hello everybody. Didn't know they had this society on TSR.
Reply 93
Original post by Morgsie
I study Politics but I am taking a break on medical grounds.

I want to be the first MP with AS.

Really there has never been a MP with AS?

Challenge accepted.
Original post by Wave

And hello everybody. Didn't know they had this society on TSR.

:hello:

Neither did I, we're new. :tongue:
I have aspergers.

But unlike most, I don't see it as a disadvantage. If anything, it's an advantage compared to the 'normals'.
Reply 96
:hello:

Neither did I, we're new. :tongue:

Cool :smile:

So what brings you here?

I am supposed to go cycling and I am currently wasting time on here lol
Reply 97
Original post by The_master616
I have aspergers.

But unlike most, I don't see it as a disadvantage. If anything, it's an advantage compared to the 'normals'.

Yeah you're right it is an advantage, if you get over the loneliness.
Original post by Wave
Cool :smile:

So what brings you here?

I am supposed to go cycling and I am currently wasting time on here lol

I'm currently browsing gaming walkthroughs and similar and so I'm on here too :biggrin:
Original post by The_master616
I have aspergers.

90% of the time I see mine like this.

Quick Reply

Latest