The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tiger Rag
Hope it all goes well :smile:

Original post by keromedic

Yes and no. There's no support for adults where I live. But it meant I had an explanation for issues I have. For example, I have problems communicating and I was able to explain to a friend why this is.
Ugh. I don't know if this affects anyone else but do you get anxious if you have to walk in late? My uni is big it takes forever to get anywhere.

I woke at 7am this morning in anticipation of going to one of my classes. It was at 10 but I was late. I left my room at 9:59 and arrived after 10 and so I just walked back home because it would've been 10:10 before I got there.

It's annoying because it's going to look like I don't care and I am skipping my classes deliberately but i'm not.

The class was one where the door was facing them so I didn't go in. I can't walk into a class like that. I am not going to walk in late and have everyone stare at me.

I've decided that from now on, i'm just going to leave for class 15 minutes early. Unfortunately now they'll probably email me telling me to stop skipping lectures.

I can't help it.

I planned to miss zero classes this week and I missed this one again. I don't know how I did it again!!! I even got up at 7! Ugh..
(edited 8 years ago)
Hope it all goes well :smile:

Thanks :smile:. My referral was actually successful they sent me a questionnaire which I filled in and I'm waiting for an appointment.

Original post by Frostyjoe
Ugh. I don't know if this affects anyone else but do you get anxious if you have to walk in late? My uni is big it takes forever to get anywhere.

I woke at 7am this morning in anticipation of going to one of my classes. It was at 10 but I was late. I left my room at 9:59 and arrived after 10 and so I just walked back home because it would've been 10:10 before I got there.

It's annoying because it's going to look like I don't care and I am skipping my classes deliberately but i'm not.

The class was one where the door was facing them so I didn't go in. I can't walk into a class like that. I am not going to walk in late and have everyone stare at me.

I've decided that from now on, i'm just going to leave for class 15 minutes early. Unfortunately now they'll probably email me telling me to stop skipping lectures.

I can't help it.

I planned to miss zero classes this week and I missed this one again. I don't know how I did it again!!! I even got up at 7! Ugh..

I do yes. But I have problems with anxiety anyway so never sure if it's an ASD thing or Aspergers. I can understand. I'm not going in today for instance :ninja:.

:console:

Better luck next week
Well I didn't miss any classes for a while. I have another class today, I will leave early for that.

I just can't walk in late when everyone is staring.

I got preoccupied by revision for that class so I didn't get there in time.
Original post by Frostyjoe

I can't help it.

What do you do in-between getting up and leaving you room, so between 07:00 and 09:59. That's nearly 3 hours and I'm wondering how well you use that time to prepare yourself for the day.

I wake up at 7, and leave my room at 08:30 to get to a lesson for 09:00. So in an hour and a half I manage to do everything needed (get dressed, eat breakfast, pack bag, etc..) So I can't understand how something similar takes you twice as long? Which Is making me wonder if you need to try and improve your morning routine.

I have cards that I follow that tell me what to do and in what order. It makes my mornings controlled, and always the same, also means I'm not anxious or scared about forgetting to do anything because I have a card for it. When I use the system it's great.

Although currently I'm having completely different problems and it's not working but that's not relevant to you and so I wrote this as though it was a time it is working well. But you should be aware that not every morning will be perfect, and you will get days, weeks, maybe even months that are more difficult. But if it helps on some days it's got to be worth trying?

If you want any more information about the system I use please ask, I thought I'd keep it brief for now as it's not exactly what you asked but I believe it would help you if you try it.
There are other aspies on TSR?!:shock::ahee:
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
There are other aspies on TSR?!:shock::ahee:

Yes. We're not that rare. Although, I can't say I've knowingly met that many (apart from my brother and people at a group I used to attend) in real life.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes. We're not that rare. Although, I can't say I've knowingly met that many (apart from my brother and people at a group I used to attend) in real life.

I thought there were only a few, but then the pool of users I interact with is pretty small:lol: Only met a couple of detectable ones irl:frown:
I thought there were only a few, but then the pool of users I interact with is pretty small:lol: Only met a couple of detectable ones irl:frown:

That anon was me. oops! :redface:

I don't think I've ever managed to be able to detect anyone irl. At lest two people (because I overheard them and I think I went rather red...) irl think I have it though. That was so damn awkward.
That anon was me. oops! :redface:

I don't think I've ever managed to be able to detect anyone irl. At lest two people (because I overheard them and I think I went rather red...) irl think I have it though. That was so damn awkward.

Haha, we've all done it:wink:

I'm very self-analytical because I have other issues, so it's easy for me to identify my own symptoms and detect them in other people - I call it my 'aspie radar':lol:. I haven't actually told anyone (other than a couple of close family members, and learning support/medical professionals) but if you made up a profile of a stereotypical aspie it would be me so I think a lot of people will have worked it out.

I'm very self-analytical because I have other issues, so it's easy for me to identify my own symptoms and detect them in other people - I call it my 'aspie radar':lol:. I haven't actually told anyone (other than a couple of close family members, and learning support/medical professionals) but if you made up a profile of a stereotypical aspie it would be me so I think a lot of people will have worked it out.

That is so true! I remember years ago, (I can't remember if he's now diagnosed or whether they're still trying to get him diagnosed) a friend whinging about how she has a baby who does not do routine and a child who does nothing but screams because of the lack of routine. I was sat there thinking, (there was a load of other stuff too, IIRC) "I wonder if he has Autism". I do remember a conversation with his dad where he did say that because of the other condition he has, he is more likely to have Autism.
That is so true! I remember years ago, (I can't remember if he's now diagnosed or whether they're still trying to get him diagnosed) a friend whinging about how she has a baby who does not do routine and a child who does nothing but screams because of the lack of routine. I was sat there thinking, (there was a load of other stuff too, IIRC) "I wonder if he has Autism". I do remember a conversation with his dad where he did say that because of the other condition he has, he is more likely to have Autism.

Must have been hard for the parents:frown: Really hope they ended up getting their kid diagnosed and getting him the help and support he needs before it's too late, because with stuff like Asperger's getting it right during childhood/teaching the child how to cope with it can be vital. For a lot of my own childhood I was living with my grandparents, and my grandma flat out refused to accept that it even existed and would literally shout at me how stupid I was if I showed any of the symptoms. ****ed me up no end.
Reply 1713

I've met people who claimed that they could tell if other people were ASD or not, I'm not 100% sure you can tell for sure though.
Original post by Aph
I've met people who claimed that they could tell if other people were ASD or not, I'm not 100% sure you can tell for sure though.

I've been told I can't possibly have it. I, and I'm sure I'm not alone, tend to hide some issues. Some people are quite clearly on the spectrum though.
Reply 1715
I've been told I can't possibly have it. I, and I'm sure I'm not alone, tend to hide some issues. Some people are quite clearly on the spectrum though.

Yes, I think that some of the low functioning people are easy to tell that they are on the spectrum, but when you get closer to high functioning autism and Asperger's I am dubious of anyone who claims that they can instantly tell.
Original post by Aph
Yes, I think that some of the low functioning people are easy to tell that they are on the spectrum, but when you get closer to high functioning autism and Asperger's I am dubious of anyone who claims that they can instantly tell.

Before I was diagnosed, I remember being asked by someone who I'd never met if I had Autism. That was just awkward.

I know with some people, it's obvious that I do have problems commnicating and a few other issues, which I know you can tell instantly. But I do have other diagnoses too.
Reply 1717
Before I was diagnosed, I remember being asked by someone who I'd never met if I had Autism. That was just awkward.

I know with some people, it's obvious that I do have problems commnicating and a few other issues, which I know you can tell instantly. But I do have other diagnoses too.

Yeah I can imagine how awkward that must have been.

It's also awful because it's just a lable but so many people I've found will define you by it and it can completely Change how people will behave with you.
Original post by Aph
Yeah I can imagine how awkward that must have been.

It's also awful because it's just a lable but so many people I've found will define you by it and it can completely Change how people will behave with you.

I guess I've been lucky. The one way a friend of mine has treated me differently is the way he words things. He knows that one of my problems is how I understand language and so, he knows he has to be careful how he explains to me. He claims I take everything so literally. :redface:
Original post by Aph

If it helps, I thought you had it.

Quick Reply

Latest