The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Living in Fallowfield

Hi, I intend on studying at the University of Manchester later this year and have been excited to do so for some time. I’ve started to look at accomodation and, from what I’ve read, Fallowfield seems like the way to go in terms of being sociable and getting the ‘student expirience’. However I’ve heard some pretty intimidating stuff about Fallowfield (as well as many other areas) in terms of crime. I’m not daft and I’m aware that all cities suffer from crime I’ve just heard a lot about Fallowfield being relatively high as students are ‘easy targets’ and it having a huge student population. I was just wondering if anyone (especially residents of Fallowfield themselves) could answer me a few questions?

Do you feel safe?

Have you ever felt threatened or experienced crime?

Would you recommend Fallowfield accomodation?

Is the Fallowfield campus secure?

Which is the best halls in Fallowfield (in your opinion)?

Is it safe to walk the streets after dark (not necessarily the early hours of the morning just when it gets dark earlier in winter months etc)?

I hope I haven’t offended anyone in this post, I really like Fallowfield but all the talk of crime is putting me off slightly and I feel as if I need a proper answer. I just hate the idea of feeling unsafe walking when it’s going dark etc. I’m not a idiot or anything I don’t walk home alone at stupid hours or brandish valuables. I only live about a 20 minute train ride away from Manchester just wondering for useful information when choosing where to live. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this aha! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I lived in UoM Fallowfield halls in my first year (Owens Park) and I never felt threatened, you're right there's always going to be some, you'll get that anywhere, so long as you're sensible you should be fine.

Owens Park has got good security, big metal gates and keycard access to the halls - it's not foolproof, I managed to get in a fair few times when I forgot my card, but it's pretty good.

Fallowfield is definitely a student area, and if you live in Owens Park be prepared for an intense experience, it's not exactly quiet! I would personally choose somewhere quieter than OP if I was doing it again but it depends what you want.

There's halls all over Manchester, some right on campus if you fancy being able to get up at 8.50 for a 9 am lecture, and there's pllenty of student life there, and even then Fallowfield's only a 5-10 minute bus ride away straight down the road.

You can read about the uni all you want but I'd recommend coming on an open day or just a walk around campus, especially if you're so close anyway - just get a train to Oxford Road and walk straight down the street to the uni

Hope this helps, what course are you looking at studying?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I live in oak house currently, and have never felt threatened in fallowfield :smile:

The metal fences around halls are pretty useless due to all tge gates, but there are three locks between tge outside and your room, plus 24 hour security.

It's true that fallowfield is close to some less nice areas, but fallowfield is fine, and even moss side is nowhere near as bad as it was in the 80s when it got its reputation - I've walked through there and survived!

Ps oak house is the best (I'm not biased AT ALL! :tongue:)
Original post by mindvomit

Do you feel safe?
Extremely. The university security patrol all over campus and outside around the main superstore. Everyone's friendly.

Nope. And I walk alone back from work at 4.30am after a shift.

Yes. It's in a really good location being a little bit out of the city and there are prices to suit everyone. I'm in Oak House which is the cheapest out of all accommodation and I think it's very good.

Yes, very. You need a swipe card to get in some entrances and the main entrance that is non-swipe card is where the main security and/or police mobile is. Super safe!

Well I like Oak House. It's the cheapest, shared bathrooms (eight people in a flat sharing the kitchen, four boys to one bathroom, four girls to another) and self catered. It's known to be the party halls, but even if you don't party (like myself) then there will be others like you. If however you'd like a bit more luxury then I'd reccommend Sheaven House or Richmond Park (although the prices do reflect this).

Is it safe to walk the streets after dark (not necessarily the early hours of the morning just when it gets dark earlier in winter months etc)?
Yes, definitely.

:smile:
Reply 4
Having lived in Manchester for almost 12 years...fallowfield is one of those lovely areas within the city and you have practically everything close by :smile:
Original post by mindvomit
Hi, I intend on studying at the University of Manchester later this year and have been excited to do so for some time. I’ve started to look at accomodation and, from what I’ve read, Fallowfield seems like the way to go in terms of being sociable and getting the ‘student expirience’. However I’ve heard some pretty intimidating stuff about Fallowfield (as well as many other areas) in terms of crime. I’m not daft and I’m aware that all cities suffer from crime I’ve just heard a lot about Fallowfield being relatively high as students are ‘easy targets’ and it having a huge student population. I was just wondering if anyone (especially residents of Fallowfield themselves) could answer me a few questions?

Do you feel safe?

I hope I haven’t offended anyone in this post, I really like Fallowfield but all the talk of crime is putting me off slightly and I feel as if I need a proper answer. I just hate the idea of feeling unsafe walking when it’s going dark etc. I’m not a idiot or anything I don’t walk home alone at stupid hours or brandish valuables. I only live about a 20 minute train ride away from Manchester just wondering for useful information when choosing where to live. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this aha! :biggrin:

Do you feel safe?
Yeah, mostly.

I had never really felt threatened or experienced crime until my house got burgled - 6 laptops and a PS3 gone. But in terms of student halls I think burglaries are quite rare, it's more living in a student house where that's a problem in Fallowfield.

Yeah definitely. Miles better than all the other halls.

Yeah quite, there's security on site and stuff. I lived in Owens Park Tower however and it's pretty easy to get in without a swipe card, but as long as you remember to lock your room you won't have any problem.

Owens Park.

If you're living in halls you most likely won't be in a situation where you have to walk round anywhere unsafe as you'll mostly be in the centre of Fallowfield which is busy even at 4/5 in the morning. (believe me I know, I live in a house just off the main road and my lack of sleep definitely vouches for that!!) However, a lot of people live in student houses behind sainsbury's in their second and third year and my impression is that it can be quite dangerous to walk round there in the dark.

In short: in halls you are unlikely to experience crime unless you do something stupid, but living in a student house in Fallowfield you have to be a lot more vigilant to avoid crime. But don't let anything I've said scare you as I wouldn't live anywhere else!!
i livei n fallowfield, its chilled place just stay away from birchfields park, even in daylight people get mugged ther, my school is right next to it as well!
Reply 7
Just a question. How long would it take to get from one end of UoM to the other by bus/foot?
Reply 8
Original post by 4RealBlud
Just a question. How long would it take to get from one end of UoM to the other by bus/foot?

I assume you're just talking about City campus? Like from one academic building to the furthest away?
Reply 9
Original post by gummers
I assume you're just talking about City campus? Like from one academic building to the furthest away?

No. I mean from the hall in fallowfield furthest away from the main campus, to the most northerly building on the UMIST campus. I'm asking this coz i will be doing engineering at the UMIST campus, but i want to reside in fallowfield.
Reply 10
No. I mean from the hall in fallowfield furthest away from the main campus, to the most northerly building on the UMIST campus. I'm asking this coz i will be doing engineering at the UMIST campus, but i want to reside in fallowfield.

Walk from Fallowfield to North Campus?

It will take about 20-25minutes on the bus, then walking from Oxford Road.
Original post by gummers
Walk from Fallowfield to North Campus?

Haha, nah man im not trolling. Obviously id take a bus, but i was interested to know how long it'd take by foot too

It will take about 20-25minutes on the bus, then walking from Oxford Road.

So, it takes 25 mins to take a bus to oxford road from the most southerly point of Fallowfield halls?! Jheeeze

And how long would the walk from Oxford Road the the most northerly building at UMIST take, then?
Reply 12
So, it takes 25 mins to take a bus to oxford road from the most southerly point of Fallowfield halls?! Jheeeze

And how long would the walk from Oxford Road the the most northerly building at UMIST take, then?

No I meant the whole journey would take about 20-25minutes. Usually my friends set off about 8:15-25 for their 9ams
Or you can take the green & white oxford road link bus, which is (I believe - I have no reason to go to N Campus) free with your student card.
Reply 14
Original post by Origami Bullets
Or you can take the green & white oxford road link bus, which is (I believe - I have no reason to go to N Campus) free with your student card.

It is free, runs every 10minutes or so too.

If you walked the whole way it would probably take 45 mins-1 hour
what would you say is the best accommodation in fallowfield, or anywhere else in general? I preferably wanted an en-suite and self-catered and have found Richmond park and sheavyn house. Any opinions on the general atmosphere of these two halls and what they're like? or any other places that i would be interested in?
Is Fallowfield a safe area of Manchester? Or would Whitworth Park be a safer option? I hear fallowfield is students and council estates, surely students would be targeted for their gadgets and money.
fallowfield is now a ****hole its so ridden with student housing nowadays. your best off working off the bus routes, withington, levenshulme, burnage are all better choices. every area has its thieves, but in fallowfield thieves are more organised.
Original post by consumed by stuff
fallowfield is now a ****hole its so ridden with student housing nowadays. your best off working off the bus routes, withington, levenshulme, burnage are all better choices. every area has its thieves, but in fallowfield thieves are more organised.

if you live in uni accommodation based in fallowfield, e.g. oak house it's fine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending