The Student Room Group

AOSB and TA

Chaps,

Currently a soldier in the TA at Sixth form, but I'd like to try and get the Army undergraduate bursary as well. Is it possible to go and do the AOSB, hopefully get an undergraduate bursary and then stay on as a soldier in the TA while at uni? I'd assume they'd be no issues, but I thought I'd check.

Cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by CJM13
Chaps,

Currently a soldier in the TA at Sixth form, but I'd like to try and get the Army undergraduate bursary as well. Is it possible to go and do the AOSB, hopefully get an undergraduate bursary and then stay on as a soldier in the TA while at uni? I'd assume they'd be no issues, but I thought I'd check.

Cheers.

Aside from the Army probably wanting you to join the UOTC at whichever uni you went to there shouldn't be any issues as long as you're a decent candidate!
Why not ask the staff on your unit, though?
Cheers Drewski. Have asked the staff, but they're not really too sure on whether I'd be able to stay in the TA or have to join the UOTC.
Reply 3
You could stay in your TA unit as a TASO and join the UOTC to get your TA commission
Ah, should have made that clear - would like to commission into the regs after uni.
Reply 5
That should be no problem- I have a few friends that are either in both the TA and OTC or commissioned in the TA from the OTC who are going regular sandhurst after they have finished their degrees
Reply 6
You should be able to work out a deal that suits you and the OTC.

If you pass AOSB and get a Bursary you will normally be required to be a member of the OTC - but the OTC is a part of the TA. So as you are already serving in the TA in theory all you need to do is transfer.

If you have passed recruit training you should be able to go direct into year 2 of OTC training. Likwise if you work hard you could completed Module 2 and 3 of the TA commisioning course in your first year in OTC and go to TA Sandhurst in the summer between 1st and 2nd year.

You would then be a TA 2 Lt and very employable in any TA unit as a platoon commander - or you could stay as a 2 Lt in the OTC.

If you really didn't want to go to to the OTC you would still have to go and see them . The CO of the OTC is responsible to Commandant Sandhurst for looking after Army Bursars. He would expect to see you at least every term for a chat about your progress. You should talk to your current CO and get him to get in touch with the CO of the OTC and discuss what a suitable training arrangement for you would be. If you are going to try for a TA commison whilst at university you would end up training with the OTC anyway. It would be good to do that in advance, as the freshers week period when OTC recruiting goes on is frantic for all concerned and your letter will just get lost in the mass of other applicants.

You could be a TA Sponsored Officer (TASO) . You can do it either way - be formally in the OTC and do some training with a Group A TA unit , or be formally in a Group A TA unit and do some training with the OTC. The question is whos books are you on and who adminsters you for pay. You can ony be in one unit at a time even if you train with two

There are several discussions on here about the relative merits of the being in a group A TA unit or the OTC. In the end it's down to you . There are good and bad points for doing it either way, and a lot depends on the units at the time and how good they are.

However personally I would say it would be well worth doing a year in the OTC when you start ( maybe as a TASO from your parent unit or maybe to transfer- you can always transfer back) The OTC is geared to giving you an overview of life as an officer and you get the opportunity to see lots of different bits of the Army and do plenty of adveture training. In a group A TA unit you will more or less concentrate on your own individual training skills in your trade - but not really get much chance to look at any other bit of the Army or do much in the way of leadership training.

I always think it is a bit of a mistake to try and and be too warry at university - you are there to study and enjoy yourself - the hard army stufff comes at Sandhurst and PCBC and in Helmand.

Good luck.

happy to chat more if you message me.

Quick Reply

Latest