The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Arsey
Reasonable paper I thought

got a couple of questions,

on 1b how many marks would I lose for not simplifying to x^4?
on 8a how many marks for getting up to the part of dividing cosAcosB?
and lastly I got 5pi/12 and made an error when calculating the other angle and got 7pi/12, only 1 mark lost or 2?
Original post by Schteve
Got time = 27.7 for the one question but didn't add it on to midday :/ grrr.

same here,allright
Original post by Arsey
Reasonable paper I thought

I managed to write 1/2sexc^2(y..) as 2cos^2(y...) instead of 1/2 cos^2(y...). i carried this mistake on but i used the right method to find the equation. how many marks do you reckon i dropped? Also for the iteration question, can you use 'continued iteration' or is this not conclusive enough proof?

if continued iteration is allowed i think i got 70/75 which will hopefully be enough for a 90 UMS!
(edited 12 years ago)
Think I have around 60... hoping for low grade boundaries!
Reply 24
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 25
Never seen so many tans in my life...
Grade boundaries for last year were?
Reply 27
Hey Arsey, for question 7d I re-wrote 2ln(x+1) as ln(x+1)^2, which gave me TWO solutions in the end. I got the one you got but I also got -e^4-1. Do you think I'll lose any marks for including the extra solution, and if so how many?
What do you think of the grade boundaries? :smile:
Original post by anna258

you havent been to the beach then :colone:

Spoiler

Reply 30
for question four i got it in the form y-y1=m(x-x1) and that was correct but made a stupid mistake expanding it, will i lose any marks?
Reply 31
Original post by anna258

Guess you've never watched TOWIE

Edit - beaten to it. Kind of.
Original post by sqwerty
Guess you've never watched TOWIE

+1
I would say 67-68 for 90 UMS, 61-62 for an A
Reply 34
Agree with model answers for all questions. I made a stupid mistake on the last question though, got 2θ=5π/6 then completely forgot I could just divide that by 2 and solve within the range. :banghead:

Oh well, all in all nothing too difficult though.
Thank you so much Arsey!

I can't believe I made the old range instead of domain mistake on one of the questions. I also didn't get the iterative question right, but as far as I know I've only lost around 4-5 marks on this paper. :woo:
Reply 36
Original post by -Illmatic-
I managed to write 1/2sexc^2(y..) as 2cos^2(y...) instead of 1/2 cos^2(y...). i carried this mistake on but i used the right method to find the equation. how many marks do you reckon i dropped? Also for the iteration question, can you use 'continued iteration' or is this not conclusive enough proof?

if continued iteration is allowed i think i got 70/75 which will hopefully be enough for a 90 UMS!

Hey, i think i made the exact same mistake for the gradient.

Also it said choosing a suitable interval, so continued iteration shouldn't be right...
Thanks for posting! :smile: I thought it was an OK paper - I was expecting a lot worse!
So annoying I just put t=28 rather than 12:28. Made a few silly mistakes like that and totally screwed up question 8 (apart from part C), for some reason I just couldn't so the tan stuff :frown:
I've guestimated about 50/75, what do you think that'll be grade-wise? C? B?
Original post by -Illmatic-

What's continued iteration?

P.S. good taste in music, Nas greatest rapper of all time, Illmatic one of the greatest albums of all time.
Reply 39
i made so many dymb mistakes mannn

Quick Reply

Latest