The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i used continued
Original post by ThaChronic
What's continued iteration?

P.S. good taste in music, Nas greatest rapper of all time, Illmatic one of the greatest albums of all time.

i just went on to x5, x6, x7 till it kinda stopped at 4.d.p but i figured thats wrong so bye bye A*

agreed! :biggrin:
Did anyone else get paranoid about whether or not their graphs would show up on the scan, then proceed to trace over them with a pen? :awesome:
Reply 43
The Answer for 1b shouldn't it be divided by (x^-3) instead of x^-4.
Reply 44
Original post by StrawberryKoi
Did anyone else get paranoid about whether or not their graphs would show up on the scan, then proceed to trace over them with a pen? :awesome:

It's meant to be done in pen so that it comes out. Made that error in c1.
Reply 45
Original post by Arsey
Reasonable paper I thought

Hi Arsey, or anyone else that can help!
Just a few questions
Firstly on the first question I got x + 2xln(3x) like you but simpfly this to x(1+2ln(3x) - is this likely to lose a mark for me?
Also on 6d, I recognised to use 1.90775 and 1.90785 but subbed them back into the iteration formula as x, and then xn+1 came out as 1.9078 to 4dp so I said that - am I likely to get any marks for this? Maybe 1 for recognising the interval?
Finally, on 7d, really stupid mistake, I wrote it as 2ln(x+1) +1 =1/7 and worked from there, ending up with e^3 -1 - opinions on marks out of 4 - would I likely get any method marks?

At worst I got 67 - the last 3 sessions 90 has been 70,68,69
What do people think of grade boundaries?
Reply 46
UMS 100 90 80 70 60 50 40

Jan-09 75 68 60 52 44 36 29
Jun-09 75 71 67 59 52 45 38
Jan-10 73 66 59 52 45 39 33
Jun-10 75 69 62 55 48 41 34
Jan-11 75 68 61 53 45 38 31
June-11 75 70 65 58 51 44 37

Those are the UMS for the previous C3 exams, dunno if that helps maybe someone can remember the past papers and how hard they were compared to this one.

I think i got 66, 67 or 68 marks (depending on if you get a mark for 28 minutes instead of 12:28 and if I get a method mark for 8c), hoping it's an A* if not hoping for a high A which i can drag up to an A* if i do really well in C4. :P
(edited 12 years ago)

oh ****
Reply 48

OMG I THOUGHT I'M THE ONLY ONE!

Although nevertheless a retake is in order :yay:
Messed up the normal question so badly :/ hoping for a few method marks though (yn)
Apart from that it was alright, gutted no rsin(x+y) though!! Hopefully round 65 marks, not sure that's enough for my a* :/
Original post by charleybeth
Messed up the normal question so badly :/ hoping for a few method marks though (yn)
Apart from that it was alright, gutted no rsin(x+y) though!! Hopefully round 65 marks, not sure that's enough for my a* :/

join the club. weird how a few mere marks can determine whether or not you get the A*
Reply 51
Original post by ejere2
i made so many dymb mistakes mannn

Ironic :tongue:
Original post by ThaChronic
oh ****

Don't worry, I think they said they do discourage the use of non-black pens and pencils because they tend to look a little faded on the scan but you are allowed to use a pencil for graphs :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Ellis246
It's meant to be done in pen so that it comes out. Made that error in c1.

Is that a freaking joke?! Why the hell do they say use pencils for any graphs.
If I lose 6 marks cus i used a pencil I am going to be pissed!
Reply 54
Don't worry, I think they said they do discourage the use of non-black pens and pencils because they tend to look a little faded on the scan but you are allowed to use a pencil for graphs :smile:

Cheers beautiful haha

I got angry
Thank you Arsey, can I ask in the first question 2nd part, when you had to simplify answer that you got after using the product rule, would i still get the mark if i split the fraction into two simplified it individually and left it as two fractions which were simplified and which if added together would get same answer as you put.. or would i lose a mark for that

Also in the last question i was running out of time, so the long quadratic u ended up with in the alternative method i did not simplify it..just showed tan angle=to long quadratic then put the long version into calculator got the principal solutions then dervied the other solutions and indicated which ones were withing range so the answers...but when finding a positive equivalent for the negative solution i just drew a very crude cast diagram and got the answer would i lose a method mark?

Your help would be much appreciated:smile:
Original post by CharrrrxD
Hi Arsey, or anyone else that can help!
Just a few questions
Firstly on the first question I got x + 2xln(3x) like you but simpfly this to x(1+2ln(3x) - is this likely to lose a mark for me?

At worst I got 67 - the last 3 sessions 90 has been 70,68,69
What do people think of grade boundaries?

That's what I did, surely we won't lose a mark for simplifying it further :K: I hope
Do you have to draw the graphs in pen? I did mine in pencil, but went over it a few times to make sure it wasn't faint :s-smilie:
Reply 58

makes me think wonder where they scan the papers in :shiftyrun:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Shack93
Is that a freaking joke?! Why the hell do they say use pencils for any graphs.
If I lose 6 marks cus i used a pencil I am going to be pissed!

I didn't see it on the paper itself but I'm pretty sure they expect the graphs in pen aswell. I'm sure you'll still get the marks though, its just to make their lives easier..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending