Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

C3 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryKoi)
    That's what I did, surely we won't lose a mark for simplifying it further I hope
    yeah I wouldnt think so! well hope not, how did you do besides that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they can't see anything in pencil they request the actual copy of the paper and mark it from that. Also, my teacher said they follow the principle of stop marking once the answers reached, so any un-necessary simplifying, right or wrong, should be ignored.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will I lose 1 mark for not simplifying 1(b)? I forgot to cancel the x squared out.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharrrrxD)
    yeah I wouldnt think so! well hope not, how did you do besides that?
    I think the rest of it was okay, except the last question which I struggled with for a good 20 minutes or so, but I think I got there in the end. I used the second method Arsey used for 8c.

At school I kept asking people if anyone else had used the quadratic formula as well but all I got was blank faces haha, pretty discouraging.

How did you find it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryKoi)
    I think the rest of it was okay, except the last question which I struggled with for a good 20 minutes or so, but I think I got there in the end. I used the second method Arsey used for 8c.

At school I kept asking people if anyone else had used the quadratic formula as well but all I got was blank faces haha, pretty discouraging.

How did you find it?
    Yeah the last question was hard, I just stared at 8a for ages then it clicked phew!
    I found it ok, its just those other 2 mistakes I put before! Kinda silly and annoying. Just hoping I may gain a couple of method marks somewhere along the way - if we dont get penalised for taking out the x then the worst I got is 68, just gotta hope thats good enough for 90ums or that I do get a couple of method marks from my silly mistakes (yn)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arsey always uploads the solutions then runs off to bed grrr

jkjk we love you no homes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expendable)
    If they can't see anything in pencil they request the actual copy of the paper and mark it from that. Also, my teacher said they follow the principle of stop marking once the answers reached, so any un-necessary simplifying, right or wrong, should be ignored.
    I really hope you're right!(About the stop marking once ans reached)
    +1
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharrrrxD)
    Yeah the last question was hard, I just stared at 8a for ages then it clicked phew!
    I found it ok, its just those other 2 mistakes I put before! Kinda silly and annoying. Just hoping I may gain a couple of method marks somewhere along the way - if we dont get penalised for taking out the x then the worst I got is 68, just gotta hope thats good enough for 90ums or that I do get a couple of method marks from my silly mistakes (yn)
    I do hope Arsey will get back to us about the simplifying thing. Don't worry I'm sure you'll get that A*! Not looking forward to results day though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Reasonable paper I thought
    two questions:
    for the domain do you need xER as well as x>0

for question 6d you have to sub the values into (3+sin(1/2x)/2))-x
    this sort of question came up in june 2006
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh i left t=28 such a silly mistake.

And that last part where you had to show that the x co-ord was 1.9078 just wasnt working out for me!

Other than that i was fine, i reckon 70 or 71 from the 75
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.M)
    UMS 100 90 80 70 60 50 40

Jan-09 75 68 60 52 44 36 29
    Jun-09 75 71 67 59 52 45 38
    Jan-10 73 66 59 52 45 39 33
    Jun-10 75 69 62 55 48 41 34
    Jan-11 75 68 61 53 45 38 31
    June-11 75 70 65 58 51 44 37

Those are the UMS for the previous C3 exams, dunno if that helps maybe someone can remember the past papers and how hard they were compared to this one.

I think i got 66, 67 or 68 marks (depending on if you get a mark for 28 minutes instead of 12:28 and if I get a method mark for 8c), hoping it's an A* if not hoping for a high A which i can drag up to an A* if i do really well in C4. :P
    I dont know about anyone else but i found this paper comparatively much harder than both June and Jan 2011, as this paper had many more trickier questions than the last two papers..so hoping boundaries are around 68..how did u find the paper?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think

someone clearly got 73 and is offended
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I think
    just to be clear your predicting a minus one mark from 75(74) as an a*?? Isn't that pretty high??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    74 (stupid t=28)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellis246)
    just to be clear your predicting a minus one mark from 75(74) as an a*?? Isn't that pretty high??
    74=100
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ha7493)
    Ahhhhh i left t=28 such a silly mistake.

And that last part where you had to show that the x co-ord was 1.9078 just wasnt working out for me!

Other than that i was fine, i reckon 70 or 71 from the 75
    I made the same mistake with the 1.9078, apparently we were supposed to substitute 1.90775 and 1.90785 into f'(x)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellis246)
    what on earth? why again 74 as an a*? I mean honestly? Is it really going to be that high??
    For 100 UMS

sorry
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol come on now, would they really make 1 mark = 10ums
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dude345)
    For 100 UMS

sorry
    nah nahh, its my fault, someone else told me that i only just saw the post :P got me soo worried there! okay, so does that mean ur predicting the next number down as 80 UMS etc?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    74=100
    ah, thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 20, 2013
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.