The Student Room Group

MSc Management/Finance (without undergrad business degree!)

hi there (really sorry - i posted this on Postgraduate forum but wasnt sure if anyone ever looked in there!)

i was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Universities that do a Masters in Finance or a Business-related degree for someone who's undergraduate degree wasn't finance or business related?

I have looked at Nottingham's and I know (as I am here) that they do a good MSc International Business which is designed for people with a degree in any discipline and also I found one at UEA (any suggestions about this one would be good!!!) MSc Business Management.

It seems to me that Masters degrees covering a broad range of things (such as Business Management) require no previous business degree but as soon as "finance" is involved then you need to have done an undergraduate degree in finance/business.

Also if anyone has done a Masters in something Business-related then how has that worked out for you?

Thanks
Reply 1
I've found the same, even though by the time I've finished my undergrad, I'll probably have changed my ideas about what to do for a masters! Bristol do an MSc in Economics, Finance and Management which just requires some quantative elements, so I'm hoping a maths A level and experience in banking will help me out there, and Oxford do a Master's course in Financial Economics. I thought they'd need an Economics or Finance Bachelor's degree but I emailed them and they don't. They're the only 2 I've found so far, so other than that it looks like an MBA or a post-graduate diploma before an MSc. If you find of any others that don't need a first degree in Economics, please let me know!
Reply 2
Bath MSC Finance and Accounting, if you can demonstrate real interest in Finance then you'd have a good chance!

The whole MFE thing is news to me! Shame i don't have the time/money to prepare for the GMAT! = :frown:
Reply 3
Yeh some of the MScs at Surrey you can do without a business related degree. Not the marketing or finance but with a good degree (2.1? 2.2?)you can do international business management and I think entrepreneurship
Reply 4
Thanks for that Jazzaa. With all this talk on these boards about Judge, Said, Cass, LSE, Tanaka etc etc, now does Surrey compare? Do you think it's really important that the good companies recruit directly from the Business School? or that once you get your masters from any Business School, you could then apply for the same jobs and stnad a good chance?
Reply 5
just realised how bad my typing is!
Reply 6
think i will make a new post about how important a "well-known" Business school is....
Reply 7
woodtable780
think i will make a new post about how important a "well-known" Business school is....

I would say hugely...but only because of the sheer amount of competition for jobs
Reply 8
Yeh, well the thing is Surrey's got AACSB like Warwick and Aston and it's got the job thing - league tables or whatever no 1 for jobs. But how does that work is it because they think yeh, Surrey so give im a job, or is it becasue of contacts with employers coming round and selecting people or something?
So is it contacts with employers or Bus school reputation that gets you a job? It must be both I guess.
Reply 9
i dont have a business degree and got in2 tanaka. Am a bit scared of the finance component to tell u the truth

Latest

Trending

Trending