The Student Room Group

Im worried about this: Can my school even do this?

Scroll to see replies

Well in that case I don't think you should be penalised and you should definitely arrange a meeting with the head.

Worst comes to worst, change schools.
wow, I'd definitely arrange the meeting and make a convincing case that it's in your interests and that you're prepared to put the work in - grovel :lol:
I was allowed to do FM even though I missed 6 hours a fortnight...regretted it by January, but still :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by Imayormaynotexist

Well in that case I don't think you should be penalised and you should definitely arrange a meeting with the head.

Can't exactly change schools this late.
Reply 43

Can't change this late.

I had a chat with the head of department today and he said that he wants to monitor me for awhile to see if I come into every lesson which I obviously will. Then he will make a decision but right now he stated that hes "not convinced". I decided to not arrange a meeting for now with the actual headteacher and see what happens up until the end of next week. If he doesn't give me an answer by next Friday then I will arrange a meeting with the head-teacher as this is really unfair.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hanvyj
I would have loved to have done FM, but my school-for-poor-people didn't have any teachers qualified to teach that subject.

and I thought my school is crap ..
You chose to miss 3 days of school
You did not ask
Your parents did not request this
You, presumably, did not go to the teachers before hand and ask for catch up material

You just decided that you knew better than the school

That was your choice

But now it seems that the Head of Maths has a choice whether or not to accept someone with this attitude onto the FM class
He has not said "no", he has said that you can attend the class whist continuing with your other course, whilst you take the chance to show that you have an attitude he is happy with

Of course, your parents could threaten to take you out but that is not really going to happen at this point in Y12, is it?
Reply 46
Original post by TenOfThem

You chose to miss 3 days of school
You did not ask
Your parents did not request this
You, presumably, did not go to the teachers before hand and ask for catch up material

You just decided that you knew better than the school

That was your choice

But now it seems that the Head of Maths has a choice whether or not to accept someone with this attitude onto the FM class
He has not said "no", he has said that you can attend the class whist continuing with your other course, whilst you take the chance to show that you have an attitude he is happy with

Of course, your parents could threaten to take you out but that is not really going to happen at this point in Y12, is it?

Actually the school was closed during Christmas so I couldn't speak with them on the phone, and my only option was to leave a message on the answerphone - which I did. I really don't see the big fuss about this. They could have called me back to tell me to come in. I mean if they didn't like my decision to not come in for three days then they could have easily picked up the phone and called me once they heard my message. Did they? No they didn't. Quite a few people didn't attend the last few days before their exams. To be honest some teachers just overreact, the head of maths is by far on the top of that list. Do you know where I was during those three days? I had a tutor which I went to for three hours a day during those three days. I wasn't out at the cinema dossing around. I was actually getting some work done. If I had gone into school I would have only had two lessons of Biology during those three days consisting of an hour each so a total of two hours. I used my intellect and attended a tutors workshop for Biology (three hours per day, so a total of nine hours during those three days). I just find it stupid that my maths teacher would like me to come into school for two lessons of maths (both an hour each). I should have lied to them right? I guess it would have been better to say im Ill rather than tell them the truth...

Edit: My Biology teacher didn't mind nor did my physics teacher. My physics teacher was a bit shaky at first but he understood entirely of why I decided to not come in for three days once I told him I was at a tutoring session of three hours per day, however, my maths teacher decides to make a fuss out of it for missing two lessons (a total of two hours) of maths during those three days of school that I missed. There was no catchup material for Biology, Maths or Physics. I presume there may have been for ICT as we didn't have a January exam for ICT. I had three exams in January: Biology1, Core1, Physics1. I missed two maths lessons which consisted of an hour each - a total of two hours. They were just lessons in which the class done Soloman papers as I spoke to a friend. Funnily enough it would have been a waste of time for me to attend as I had finished every paper from my official board to all the Soloman papers. After my exams I actually went and spoke to my ICT teacher with whom our exam is in May to ask for what I missed in those two one hour lessons. He stated: "I let the class revise for their January modules." Funny isn't it?

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
I am not saying that you did not have the right to choose, simply that you did make a choice and the Head of Maths has a choice too

I think the fact that he has said that you can have a chance to prove yourself is good
Reply 48

I am not saying that you did not have the right to choose, simply that you did make a choice and the Head of Maths has a choice too

I think the fact that he has said that you can have a chance to prove yourself is good

I suppose its better than nothing, however, without all the hassle I should have been accepted into the classes if this wasn't taken out of proportion. And I don't even see the point in prooving myself in anything. What does he want me to prove myself in? Coming into lessons regularly which I have and will continue to do so as their are no exams until for another three months. I spoke to another teacher whom I trust very well. He insisted on going with the flow and if I do not get accepted into the FM class for whatever reason then arrange a meeting with the headteacher as he also thinks this is 'weird'.

I'm starting to think this is a personal hatred from the head of department to me as it is seriously being taken out of proportion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Pavlina

Original post by Pavlina
Ok, guys, this is getting ridiculous. Can we stop arguing about how much time every person thinks they SHOULD be getting before exams, and concentrate on OP's question instead?
OP, I was in private schooling as well, and they DID have a similar rule (you couldn't miss more than 17 days over the course of the school year, or alternatively 10% of any given class, otherwise they didn't allow you to pass your exams/the specific exam.)
Which exam are they stopping you from doing? Surely if you missed 3 DAYS, you shouldn't be penalized in one subject only?
I know that I'd missed over 10% of my math lessons (because coming in late was often marked as an absence and my dad was terrible at driving me to school on time, not because I'm a gangsta), and they did TELL me initially I couldn't do my IB math exam, but of course in the end I did it, so I'm guessing you should be able to get through this. Honestly, whenever it comes to expensive education, just make your parents come in and look angry. Those schools HATE losing money. They will do anything to avoid it.

They sure do
Reply 50
Original post by SparksInTheSky

Original post by SparksInTheSky
Technically all schools, fee-paying or not, have the choice as to what A-Levels they offer and to whom. Your case will be strengthened or weakened depending on how low your attendance really was, and the reasons for it - they may have a fair case. I understand your view that you want the time off to revise, but there are a lot of people out there who stick to the rules and work very hard to do well, so I don't have a huge amount of sympathy with you.

By all means, take it to the headteacher and plead your case. If FM is essential to your degree then a fair school will allow you to do it on condition that your attendance improves. If not, consider moving schools? I know this is an upheaval but if you are set on the degree and FM is required then you have no choice really.

As for not all schools offering FM, unis do take this into account, but given that your school did and you were refused mentioning this on your application may only reflect badly on you.

I missed three days in which there was only two lessons and they weren't even for FM
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest