The Student Room Group

A degree you enjoy or a degree for a career?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
English Lit will open a good amount of doors for you anyway, a good degree in that proves your ability to write, think and structure an argument coherently.

Do something you enjoy, because it's going to lead onto a job of some sorts eventually and you'd rather that be one you enjoy.
Reply 21
Original post by pinda.college
Do a degree that you enjoy, if you don't enjoy studying something at university then how can you do well?

This. Also, Literature and publishing aren't worlds apart; all those books you like studying have to be published. It's not like choosing between Dentistry and Art, for example.
Reply 22
Original post by pinda.college
Fair comment.

You spoke about how students at high school do well in subjects they don't particularly enjoy (national circulum). So I assumed that you supported the notion that people should pay 9 grand to get a decent degree even if they don't have any enthusiasm for it.

No I didn't, you've confused me with someone who you were replying to before.
The only thing that I would actually enjoy studying is something football-related, but it's a joke degree that would do nothing for my career prospects.
So I study politics instead. I don't like it at all, but I'm getting 2:1s quite comfortably, you don't have to like something to do well at it.
OP, just do whichever degree you think best enhances your career prospects. When you're earning good money you won't regret it. And if you really want to study something you enjoy you could always do it at the Open University once you have some money in the bank after a few years' work.
If you're lucky enough to be good at something that you enjoy (it's not always the case - some people love music/art but can draw a stick man or sing a note) then do that.

Studying something purely based on a career at the end of it, with no consideration of what you actually enjoy is absolutely stupid to be honest. First of all, you'll have to really motivate yourself to do it - which is difficult enough even when you enjoy your degree. Secondly, once you've finished it you'll embark on a career which revolves around what you studied, which you didn't enjoy. So basically, you study something that you have no passion for, for roughly 3 years and then you get a job out it which you will hate for the rest of your life. What is the point?

If you're good at Chemistry (or whatever else) and actually enjoy it then by all means study it. But if you don't particularly like Chemistry or even hate it, then it's a foolish decision to study it to degree level.

This is coming from someone who gave up a Law degree because I realised the career wasn't the right thing for me. But, as I say, if someone actually has an interest/passion for law and is good at it, then they should go for it.

Not everyone is so lucky to be good at what they're passionate about OR to be passionate about what they're good at. If you find the subject where the balance is equal enough, then that's what you ought to do.
a smart person would go for a degree that covers both.
Reply 26
ENJOY.
i started off doing a chemistry degree, thinking 'oh its a good subject, it'll get me a good job' etc etc

i wanted to curl up in a ball and cry :frown:

so now i'm doing music :smile: plenty of people get good jobs just by working their way up
and I also heard about someone with a 1st degree in maths from oxford who couldn't get a job... so he joined the army
Reply 27
enjoy. Forget about uni.

You are very likely going to have to work 5 days a week for 40 years. If you dont like your degree, your hardly like to get a job you love, as your degree may very well be why you are employed.
Reply 28
Original post by JasmineS
Perhaps I should re-phrase my question.
Yes, I love reading and writing. I also enjoy studying literature. I would also love to be a novelist someday.
However, I am also aware of the need for a career.

Basically:
English Literature degree + work experience later on
OR publishing media degree

Basically, how significant is the degree you choose?

DO the degree you love and get work experience in publishing. Im sure there will be some skills that are transferable from your loved to to your career.
Employers value skills that you can transfer into different sectors etc. So if you got a good varied work experience at least 2 place for atleast 6 weeks each that would be great and u got alteast 3 years to plan for that
Reply 29
Do English. You can get into plenty of different careers with it because it's an academic degree. My friend did English literature and now works in publishing for Harper Collins; I did the same degree but am a trainee actuary.

If anything, English would be a wiser choice than publishing career-wise.
So many people have given me flack for wanting to do english lit.

But i'm still doing it.
You have to do what's right for you, and only you know that.
Reply 31
Original post by JasmineS
Perhaps I should re-phrase my question.
Yes, I love reading and writing. I also enjoy studying literature. I would also love to be a novelist someday.
However, I am also aware of the need for a career.

Basically:
English Literature degree + work experience later on
OR publishing media degree

Basically, how significant is the degree you choose?

A degree in English lit from a good university + getting work experience and contacts in the holidays will do you excellently for a career in publishing. From what I've read (it's a career I've considered too) employers seem to prefer that to an actual degree in publishing.

Quick Reply

Latest