The Student Room Group

AQA chemistry Unit 2 Thursday 26th January

Scroll to see replies

For the first question I was also stumped and came back at the end - the way it was written like an ISA panicked me but luckily the rest of the paper wasn't.
For 1. i) I put something about there was no electricity to extract the aluminium - anyone else?
Reply 181
Original post by Whangdoodle
For the first question I was also stumped and came back at the end - the way it was written like an ISA panicked me but luckily the rest of the paper wasn't.
For 1. i) I put something about there was no electricity to extract the aluminium - anyone else?

I said the same thing but im really unsure! I dont even know when electricity started being used! Aah!
Original post by JEPG
I said the same thing but im really unsure! I dont even know when electricity started being used! Aah!

I just Googled it and any metal above carbon in the reactivity series can be extracted by electricity - luckily aluminium is! :smile: Google also says it wasn't discovered that electricity could be used to extract aluminium from its ore until 1886.
Let's just hope for the best :biggrin:
Reply 183
I actually found the biology paper easier! I made so many silly mistakes in the chemistry exam because I was panicking, due the way AQA worded their questions! I hope the gradde boundaries won't be too bad..
Reply 184
Original post by Whangdoodle
I just Googled it and any metal above carbon in the reactivity series can be extracted by electricity - luckily aluminium is! :smile: Google also says it wasn't discovered that electricity could be used to extract aluminium from its ore until 1886.
Let's just hope for the best :biggrin:

Well that was a lucky guess then :smile: win! Good luck with your results :/
Original post by PoorLoser
Awesome test!! :biggrin:

loved that.. only thing I got wrong was the empirical formula... i forgot to times the answers by 2, but I think I get 2-3 marks for the working out - i did everything except times the answer by 2!

i forgot to times it by 2 aswell, so glad someone else did it the way I did!
Reply 186
Anyone else open the paper, see the experiment question and think 'oh ****, here we go again'?
Reply 187
For the first question about why scientists haven't managed to extract aluminium or something, I put they couldn't get a high enough temperature... ha ha. Would I get a mark?
This was the best paper I have ever done. The only bad point is that the grade boundaries may be really high? But there are loads of mixed reviews, some say it was easy and some say it was hard, so I don't know!
I put FeO2 for the empirical formula question because I forgot to times the answers from the division I did by two! I also put crystallisation for the magnesium question. Did anyone else?
Reply 189
Original post by chloevictoria

This was the best paper I have ever done. The only bad point is that the grade boundaries may be really high? But there are loads of mixed reviews, some say it was easy and some say it was hard, so I don't know!
I put FeO2 for the empirical formula question because I forgot to times the answers from the division I did by two! I also put crystallisation for the magnesium question. Did anyone else?

I put evapouration which is practically the same thing.
Reply 190
Original post by flumpyfi

EVAPORATION. My spelling's appalling.
Reply 191
For the first question about why scientists haven't managed to extract aluminium or something, I put they couldn't get a high enough temperature... ha ha. Would I get a mark?

Lool thats what i put!!! I wasn't sure as well, does anyone know if that would get us a mark for tht?:biggrin:
Reply 192
EVAPORATION. My spelling's appalling.

It was filtration because it was a precipitate cos it said the compound was a solid in the state symbols :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by Wintabix
Lool thats what i put!!! I wasn't sure as well, does anyone know if that would get us a mark for tht?:biggrin:

I put they didnt have the right equipment/technology:s-smilie:
Reply 194
Original post by SAS18

Original post by SAS18
It was filtration because it was a precipitate cos it said the compound was a solid in the state symbols :smile:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYM. I just saw the hydroxide and thought solution. Ahh, cheers AQA for your misleading questions.
But if you put evaporation/crystallisation doesn't that do the same thing as filtration? Gaaah everyone put different answers :frown: I hope the grade boundaries are relatively low!
Reply 196

But if you put evaporation/crystallisation doesn't that do the same thing as filtration? Gaaah everyone put different answers :frown: I hope the grade boundaries are relatively low!

I think they're going to be pretty high. It was a very fair test.
I think they're going to be pretty high. It was a very fair test.

So much better than biology
Reply 198

I guess (but doubtful:confused:) evaporation could work as you could evaporate the liquid and get the solid but i doubt they will accept crystallisation though cos that happens to the liquid and then you haven't really separated the precipitate.......:s-smilie:
Reply 199

So much better than biology

Yes! It really was. It was like a breeze in comparision to that mess. I just hope physics is as nice.

Quick Reply

Latest