The Student Room Group

AQA chemistry Unit 2 Thursday 26th January

Speak about the exam here! (CHY2H)

Ask questions, or whatever here!

tip:

Most of us have done the biology exam, yes it wasn't easy but what have we learnt?

- AQA are NOT giving us straightforward questions
- They're giving us the same stuff we learnt - in different contexts
- Well, in Biology, they picked out DNA, something which hasn't come up in any other exams, so look for a topic that hasn't come up, share it with us, and revise it!
- How science works questions!!!
- Experiments!!!
- I have a VERY strong feeling they will ask to draw a line of best fit. I'm very confused on how to do this as sometimes you have to draw it as a curve, and sometimes as a line! If anyone can clarify when it's a curve and when it's a line, please share!!!

And most importantly:

Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should put the exam code (CHY2H) in the title too /pedantry.

The past papers for this have had so many wishy-washy, neither here nor there questions, hopefully they'll get their act together :/
Original post by PoorLoser
Speak about the exam here!

Ask questions, or whatever here!

tip:

Most of us have done the biology exam, yes it wasn't easy but what have we learnt?

- AQA are NOT giving us straightforward questions
- They're giving us the same stuff we learnt - in different contexts
- Well, in Biology, they picked out DNA, something which hasn't come up in any other exams, so look for a topic that hasn't come up, share it with us, and revise it!

And most importantly:

Good luck!

Good luck to you too :smile:
I reckon the mass/moles/mr will come up with loads and loads of questions. ><
So not looking forward to it.
Reply 3
Original post by nataliekwong
Good luck to you too :smile:
I reckon the mass/moles/mr will come up with loads and loads of questions. ><
So not looking forward to it.

Ooh, that's one of my favorite things in Chemistry xD

I think it will come up in a confusing context, like biology.

All you need to know for those moles/max mass calculations is:

moles = Mass/Relative formula mass (Mr)
Reply 4
Original post by PrinceyJ
Should put the exam code (CHY2H) in the title too /pedantry.

The past papers for this have had so many wishy-washy, neither here nor there questions, hopefully they'll get their act together :/

Added to OP, thanks :smile:
Reply 5
yup i reckon we all need to revise empirical formula etc... fun fun fun. wish there would be something simple about haber process but it seems AQA are being mean this year!
Reply 6

Same, I prefer lots of maths questions in these exams, because it pushes the grade boundaries right down, and it's easy marks for me.

And is the title uneditable? All of these types of threads should have the exam code in their title, so people can just search the exam code and get straight to what they need.
(edited 12 years ago)

I hated the Biology exam, even though I did load of revision for it.
If they ask it in a really difficult type of way, I'll probs start crying in the exam LOL

Original post by PrinceyJ
Same, I prefer lots of maths questions in these exams, because it pushes the grade boundaries right down, and it's easy marks for me.

I like math questions, but sometimes they like to word things really weirdly so hopefully they won't do that with this paper, even though they probably will if the same person wrote both papers..
Reply 8
The title can't be edited guys, I've added the exam code to the OP.

Maths questions are pretty simple if they're worded well. Like if it says: "What is the maximum mass..." which is the usual style of the questions.

Or maybe they could make it easier for us by simply asking "How many moles are there in..." Although the likeliness of that happening is very slim if, as nataliekwong said, "The same people who made the biology paper made this one" which is quite likely..

Argh!! why do they have to change everything THIS year?!

Oh and I've checked the syllabus, it seems that everything has come up on exam papers, so it's just revising everything from now on...
Reply 9
Whatever the hell happened to 'GCSE's are too easy'?! I really hope the Chem paper is nothing like as hard as the Biology one and they actually ask stuff that we have learnt :/

I'll let you low in find any challenging past papers tonight or tomorrow :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Added a few more points, as well as a question (line of best fit)

Anyone who can answer is amazing! :biggrin:
Reply 11
I think you basically need to learn the format of the mark schemes and then you will know what the examiner wants. Almost all the questions from year to year are similar, you just need to adapt to the scenario they give you.

Yes, Mass/Mr.* Moles will come up defo!!!
(Visualise a big weight over a mole! Mass over Mr.* Moles)!!!!
:biggrin:

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 12
Thanks Leelad, that would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

Thanks SAS18, I thought that the questions would be similar, but they weren't - they were completely different from other papers - Not a single question was similar!
Reply 13
We were given the most recent paper (JUN 2011) at school to practice and the questions are about nano particles, experiments and possible errors, precision etc. percentage mass calcs, rates of reaction, electrolysis (also reactivity and lowest reactive element goes to the electrode), haber process.

The question about the haber process was really wierd. it asked about why this mine had closed down because of the haber process.
Reply 14
If anyone has the June 2011 paper, it would be extremely helpful if they could post it here :smile:
Reply 15
PoorLoser,

First of all what a great User name XD
Secondly, the questions wont seem the same but when you compare, for eg., two questions such as Why does diamond have a high boiling point? and Why does Silicon Dioxide have a high boiling point?

The answer to both questions is:
This is because they are made up of a giant covalent structure which have very strong intermolecular foces holding them together and there are a lot of bonds. therefore a lot of energy will be needed to break them.

Also most of the other questions are the same

i.e.

1. explain in terms of particles, why an increase of temp will increase rate of reaction?
2. why is the actual yield less than theoretical yield?
3. why is so and so oxidised/ reduced?
4. how does so and so become an ion?

all of them are the same basically they are just repeated again and again in a different situation. (may be not all!!) you just have to have the basic points and adapt it to the scenario
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Here is one explantion to Zigggyy's question.
EXAMPLE:

take a marble chip - this has los surface area to volume ratio
take powdered marble chip - this has a high surface to volume ratio

so when you put the marble chip into HCl (hydrochloric acid) the HCl particle have less area to hit on the marble chip
but when you put powdered marble chip in HCl, the HCl particles have more surface to hit on, so there are more collisions.

so the rate of reaction increases:biggrin:

Hope this helps!:wink:
any more question pls ask as it is revision for all of us!!!:smile:
Reply 18
can someone explain how to find empirical formula when you are given percentages instead of masses for the elements.

(this came up on AQA-CHY2H-W-QP-JUN08 paper)

Thankx
Reply 19
@SAS

Thanks for all the help - I will try to work out that question for you =)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending