The Student Room Group

Most beautiful Oxbridge college. You vote, you decide.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ROBBY7896
I'm completely biased, but surely Worcester, Oxford should be right up there :biggrin:

Spoiler

Instead of Christ Church, Perhaps? I have to admit, your chapel does look lovely.
Original post by nulli tertius
Better than the award-winning School of Architecture at Lincoln which is already fraying round the edges. :smile:

That building is dreadful :tongue: Completely soulless.
Oxford and its colleges weren't always as relatively wealthy as they are now. The years from the 1930s to the 1970s were not kind to Oxford's investments and there was a massive building backlog for a university and colleges that had grown substantially in the post war period but which had built virtually nothing bar a few labs and the New Bod between 1914 and 1955.

Architecturally, this is the period that wanted to flatten St Pancras and built the new Euston. In Oxford, the plan was to build the inner relief road across Christ Church Meadow. The buildings you dislike were very fashionable.

However, the thing that ultimately damns them isn't their style but their build quality. However you look at them, however fashionable they might be in the future, they aren't capable of lasting that long. Most of the buildings built by Oxford between the late 50s and 1980 are life expired.

They were cheapjack buildings and the exceptions are few in number. Jacobsen's St Catz has lasted well as has the St Cross Building (Law Bod). Raymond Erith's LMH library might be the finest traditional building built in England in the 1950s. That isn't much for a collegiate university that probably built upwards of 200 buildings between 1955 and 1980.

You can see the difference today. The Sackler is a formal classical building whilst the Said is modernist, but one can realistically expect both to still be with us in 200 years time.

What Oxford has done is lost its Gothic heritage. Oxford was still building real Gothic buildings after the mock Gothick revival had started. Then of course, Oxford has some of the world's greatest Gothic revival buildings. But whilst classicism has fought back in Oxford, I don't know of any late 20th century or 21st century Gothic buildings in Oxford.

That's a very interesting post. I do remember one of the tutors at Trinity saying that the problem with the '60s building was that it wasn't just ugly, it was impractical and poorly-built.

What I object to is not the actual existence of '60s or modern architecture - of course we have to keep building stuff, and of course we can't make all new buildings mirror seventeenth century architecture. It's the juxtaposition of old with new/ugly: it's annoying when it occurs within the grounds of a college, but at its worst when some lump of concrete has actually been tacked right onto some beautiful, two hundred year-old building.
Reply 63
Original post by michael321
but at its worst when some lump of concrete has actually been tacked right onto some beautiful, two hundred year-old building.

At the lowest end!

I get the impression that at least some of the colleges would actually like to knock down, or at least alter some of their newer buildings. By some miraculous turn of events that defies all logic and popular opinion, a lot of them are listed buildings now though! Incredible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
a lot of them are listed buildings now though! Incredible.

It's things like this which make me despair at life...
King's ftw! :smile: The Gatehouse Clock and Chapel are just stunning!
Personally I think Trinity and John's are both gorgeous colleges - but frankly they're a bit too big aren't they? :eek:
"The more extravagant, the better" I suppose :tongue:

Original post by whatsthestory
King's ftw! :smile: The Gatehouse Clock and Chapel are just stunning!
Personally I think Trinity and John's are both gorgeous colleges - but frankly they're a bit too big aren't they? :eek:
"The more extravagant, the better" I suppose :tongue:

Scanning down that picture it went from "lovely, lovely" to "WTF is that?" :facepalm:

Original post by nexttime
At the lowest end!

I get the impression that at least some of the colleges would actually like to knock down, or at least alter some of their newer buildings. By some miraculous turn of events that defies all logic and popular opinion, a lot of them are listed buildings now though! Incredible.

One has to be careful with popular opinion. It isn't so long ago that one could not give away Victorian gothic revival.
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Scanning down that picture it went from "lovely, lovely" to "WTF is that?" :facepalm:

Yeah not very impressive that is it... But every college has its dark secret...!
Original post by whatsthestory
Yeah not very impressive that is it... But every college has its dark secret...!

But it is remarkable how well hidden they are on the internet. The difficulty of finding a picture of the Danson Room at Trinity has already been mentioned.

Can anyone find a picture of Skirlaw House or the the Mitchell Building at Univ?
One has to be careful with popular opinion. It isn't so long ago that one could not give away Victorian gothic revival.

Yes I understand that, but there are limits. There comes a point where every sane person accepts that a building would be much better as rubble. There's "hmm that's not very pretty" and then there's "hell that's ugly". No-one will ever think that the fugly staircase in Trinity, Oxford looks nice.
Emmanuel! :colondollar:

Spoiler

Yeah, most colleges have a disappointing part. St John's, Cambridge:

Spoiler

Well, la-dauphine, perhaps that was an extended-prison for the insurmountable hoard of convicts in Cambridge? ;b.
Original post by hassi94
Emmanuel! :colondollar:

Spoiler

My Music teacher went to Emmanuel and divulged such wonderful pictures!
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
Well, la-dauphine, perhaps that was an extended-prison for the insurmountable hoard of convicts in Cambridge? ;b.

Most likely. It's an ideal setting. :tongue:
Original post by la-dauphine
Most likely. It's an ideal setting. :tongue:

Haha :tongue:.
Reply 77
Original post by la-dauphine
Exeter College <3

Spoiler

Not that I'm biased either :biggrin:

Not forgetting, of course, this:

Reply 78
So the conclusion is that Magdalen is the most beautiful then... (Thanks to our first-past-the-post voting system) :wink: Good that that's settled!
Reply 79
Original post by Gearbox789
So the conclusion is that Magdalen is the most beautiful then... (Thanks to our first-past-the-post voting system) :wink: Good that that's settled!

AV! :fuhrer:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending