The Student Room Group

*VIDEO* Man in America shot by police

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MirandaPanda

Originally Posted by Stevee
I wondered if this would make it here.

So there's a few things to point out.

Firstly, in that video you can see the Police taser the man. They Taser him, and it has no effect. They clearly try to use non-lethal force first.

The man is repeatedly told to drop the weapon, he does not, instead he moves to swing what is a large metal pole or hammer at a Police Officer. At this point, the other Police Officer is perfectly within his right to use lethal force to stop the criminal. Because that criminal is using lethal force at this point.

Now, as for the amount of shots fired. First of all, you should all be told, this isn't a film. In real life, Police do not shoot for the legs or arms. They aim for centre mass. For two reasons. Firstly, aiming for an arm or leg means a high chance of missing, which means that bullet has to go somewhere, possibly harming an innocent bystander. Secondly, the notion that shooting someone in the arm or leg is less dangerous than shooting the centre mass is false. It is just as deadly. When Police, especially Police in countries where they are all armed shoot, they shoot to kill. They are trained to neutralise the threat. That is why most often you will see multiple officers firing, or a single officer firing at least 2 or 3 shots. This is because under the influence of Adrenaline, a single, or even two or three 9mm rounds will not stop a full grown man, unless they sever certain arteries or nerves. It is a principle of protecting themselves and the public. If you are in a situation where you have had to use deadly force, then you, or bystanders, have been threatened with deadly force.

So let's put this into context. A criminal has been threateneing people with a lethal weapon. He has been told to put it down, by armed Police. He has refused to comply. The Police have tried to use non-lethal methods to supress him, and it has not worked. The criminal then swings a possibly leathal weapon at your fellow officer, who cannot protect himself. What do you do? Personally, I would shoot that man, I would follow my training and put 3 shots to centre mass. I would not allow my fellow officer to smacked in the head with a metal pipe, because hey, a pipe's not a gun.

That Officer followed his training and was in the right. Though the way people on this thread are talking, it would seem lethal force is only justified if the criminal has already killed someone

While this is all 100% true, especially the bit about " one 9mm round isn't gonna stop a man on adrenaline" my "it's America...." comment still stands. Being surprised about American police shooting civilians is like being surprised about a suicide bomb explosion in Iraq.
Reply 41
Original post by MirandaPanda
Did I say Stevee was all knowing or that this topic is not open for discussion? No, I did not; he provided a logical (and the most coherent post certainly in this thread by far) explanation of the police officers actions being justified, which you yourself have not been able to retort. Moreover, as this topic is open for discussion, I look forward to your point-by-point retort to his post :rolleyes:

No, you quoted his post as though it solved all controversy, and as though anyone who believes the officer was wrong neglected to read it...
Enjoy my single point.
I look forward to your derisive response :wink:
Reply 42
Original post by JohnC2211
Love all the people saying "Oh, should have shot him in the arms and the legs." You try hitting a mobile target that small when adrenalin is rushing through your body. ****ing arm chair critics, the lot of you. The officers used non lethal methods, to no effect. A heavy metal pipe swung at the head can kill, and the officer was perfectly within his rights to shoot, and when you shoot you shoot to kill. None of this Hollywood shoot him in the leg *******s.

Ok so basically what your saying anyone carrying a weapon whether it's a bat shovel crobar, whatever we should (in England) call the armed police and get him gunned down right?
Reply 43
Original post by darkfang77
Pretty damn obvious that they (cops) forgot to charge the taser when they were out on the beat.

But it's all OK now, one quick trip to the station and it'll be good as new.

Pretty damn obvious he was on PCP, you could hear the volts going through the taser when he fired it, nice implication at the end then as well, moron...
Is anyone else not really at all phased by seeing that guy get shot to death, or is it just me? I'd like some reassurance I'm not a psychopath...
Officers are trained, that when they use lethal force as a last resort, to fire until the target is no longer a threat to other cops or civilians. He very well could have had a gun on him or been wearing a kevlar vest underneath his sweater and then taken out the officers after the first shot when they moved in to arrest him; this is a fairly frequent tactic. It may seem brutal, but I'm guessing: a. this guy probably has a long rapsheet and b. don't swing crowbars at police.
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Is anyone else not really at all phased by seeing that guy get shot to death, or is it just me? I'd like some reassurance I'm not a psychopath...

No, I'm not either, but then again I'm a barbarian American so...
Original post by Frenchous
Lol at all the kids behind their computer screen who defend the use of violence.

The day you will be faced with a cop like this (for whatever reason) you will change your mind.

Don't do pcp, grab a crowbar, and head out to Hardees to roll. Fairly simple.
Original post by ed-
Enjoy my single point.

Translation: I cannot retort Steve's argument, so I'm just going to talk about something else so as to 'cleverly' avoid from having to do so.

Hope you enjoyed the reply :h:
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH

I wasn't phased either but then again the way it happened and the view was pretty bad so I guess we didn't have the full effect, if we were there we may of been in hysterics? :dontknow:
Reply 50
Original post by cl_steele
its america ... they taser 12year old girls in the street ... disgraceful police force.

I wish they would taser the little ****ers round here. Most people that the cops end up shooting - deserve it. Mark Duggan anyone?
Diabolic
Reply 52
Original post by rural_boy
They get 2 seconds to make a decision, we get 6 months to tear it apart..

I think I'll just re-iterate this.
Reply 53
The police is still the mafia. Even the Sicilian Mafia in the USA recognise that they dare not deal with the police. The biggest mafia in the world is the police.
Reply 54
Original post by Silkysam
How exactly is someone just shot going to be an immediate threat to the police? One shot is all it takes, not five.

People on drugs, or pumped with adrenaline or simply desperate to get out can keep going after several hits.

Just look at the tale of the chap who won a Victoria Cross in Iraq. His head was literally split open by an anti-tank rocket but he still kept on going until he was out of the danger zone.
Original post by H.Maleki
Ok so basically what your saying anyone carrying a weapon whether it's a bat shovel crobar, whatever we should (in England) call the armed police and get him gunned down right?

Firstly, *you're.

Secondly, that's not what I'm saying at all. Way to jump to conclusions. Police in England aren't routinely armed, the police in America are, and are also trained for these sorts of situations.

The fact of the matter is the police in the video had ALREADY TRIED a non lethal option, and it DIDN'T WORK. What would you have supposed the officer to do instead? Nothing? Let his colleague get hit in the head by the crowbar, causing a potentially life threatening injury?
Original post by ed-
What does that make you :rolleyes:
Oh, yeah, a hypocrite.

You know that a single bullet constitutes lethal force, right? So what does that make 10?
5 of them being with the guy already on the floor.

Look at me, I can use the :rolleyes: smiley to make myself seem more intelligent.

Now, I am not enough of an expert to identify the handgun used by the officer, but the majority of US law enforcement agencies use 9mm rounds. Ordinary, a 9mm round to the centre mass will not stop an attacker who has adrenaline rushing through him. If you take drugs or other substances into the matter, you can be looking at 3/4 shots just to down a guy.

The officer fired 10 shots for a number of reasons which I will now outline to you:

1) They had already tasered the guy to no effect. Think of the effect that has when someone with a big ass crowbar shrugs off 30,000 volts.

2) Adrenaline. American police are taught to shoot to kill, and despite what Hollywood would have you believe, incidents like this are not every day matters in America. This was likely the officer's first time in discharging his firearm. He's not going to think "Oh, training says fire 2 shots," he's going to be thinking "I need to drop this person right now."

3) He shot the gun with one hand, as the other was restraining a police dog. We have no evidence to suggest how many of the shots hit. Police empting full magazines at armed assailants is not uncommon due to the heat of the moment.

Oh, and just for you: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Why are the idiots behind the camera laughing? Are they complete morons?
Original post by Martyn*
They are the mafia. They can do what they like generally.

:rolleyes:

Original post by Steevee
I wondered if this would make it here.

So there's a few things to point out.

Firstly, in that video you can see the Police taser the man. They Taser him, and it has no effect. They clearly try to use non-lethal force first.

The man is repeatedly told to drop the weapon, he does not, instead he moves to swing what is a large metal pole or hammer at a Police Officer. At this point, the other Police Officer is perfectly within his right to use lethal force to stop the criminal. Because that criminal is using lethal force at this point.

Now, as for the amount of shots fired. First of all, you should all be told, this isn't a film. In real life, Police do not shoot for the legs or arms. They aim for centre mass. For two reasons. Firstly, aiming for an arm or leg means a high chance of missing, which means that bullet has to go somewhere, possibly harming an innocent bystander. Secondly, the notion that shooting someone in the arm or leg is less dangerous than shooting the centre mass is false. It is just as deadly. When Police, especially Police in countries where they are all armed shoot, they shoot to kill. They are trained to neutralise the threat. That is why most often you will see multiple officers firing, or a single officer firing at least 2 or 3 shots. This is because under the influence of Adrenaline, a single, or even two or three 9mm rounds will not stop a full grown man, unless they sever certain arteries or nerves. It is a principle of protecting themselves and the public. If you are in a situation where you have had to use deadly force, then you, or bystanders, have been threatened with deadly force.

So let's put this into context. A criminal has been threateneing people with a lethal weapon. He has been told to put it down, by armed Police. He has refused to comply. The Police have tried to use non-lethal methods to supress him, and it has not worked. The criminal then swings a possibly leathal weapon at your fellow officer, who cannot protect himself. What do you do? Personally, I would shoot that man, I would follow my training and put 3 shots to centre mass. I would not allow my fellow officer to smacked in the head with a metal pipe, because hey, a pipe's not a gun.

That Officer followed his training and was in the right. Though the way people on this thread are talking, it would seem lethal force is only justified if the criminal has already killed someone :rolleyes:

:ditto:
Original post by Steevee
Firstly, aiming for an arm or leg means a high chance of missing, which means that bullet has to go somewhere, possibly harming an innocent bystander.

Add to the fact that I doubt marksmanship training is of high enough standards to rely on police officers to disable an enemy target by shooting in the legs or arms.
****ing disgusting to be honest... continuous shots once he was on the ground? i can UNDERSTAND why they shot him when he advanced on the cop.. but then aim to kill even though he's on the floor? wtf? when he is down, he is down, he is immobillised.. it's not like he had a gun...

that man is dead now and he did NOT deserve to die.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending