The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Seems odd, pink salt is pretty rare to see in cooking. I've only come accross pink himalayan rock salt a number of times.
What, like piri piri salt? Tescos/sainsburys sells it.
Original post by Alouette!
I'm in Lancashire and every takeaway in the likes of Preston and Blackburn seem to sell it, but where I come from (the Midlands) and in the South and Yorkshire where my flatmates come from, nowhere seems to... Is it just a Lancashire thing, or is it sold where you live?

Also, does anyone know what it is?

Are you sure it is salt and not chip spice. I get in in hull but not in the east midlands which is where i'm from. they tend to only put it on chips right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Also id imagine it would be takeaways like kebab shops that do pizza and such? if it is then it is most likely chip spice and can be bought from any major supermarket.
Reply 5
Original post by Alouette!
I'm in Lancashire and every takeaway in the likes of Preston and Blackburn seem to sell it, but where I come from (the Midlands) and in the South and Yorkshire where my flatmates come from, nowhere seems to... Is it just a Lancashire thing, or is it sold where you live?

Also, does anyone know what it is?
It'll just be a flavoured/finishing salt. The redness likely comes from paprika and possibly some other spices.

As others have said, you might be able to find it in supermarkets, but in all honesty I wouldn't bother. Flavoured salts are sooooo easy to make at home.

Just take around 60g of salt and a teaspoon of your desired flavouring (paprika or any other spice would be simple, but you could also use things like dried lemon zest. One combo that's in a Jamie Oliver cookbook I want to try at some point is lime zest, lemongrass, chilli and garlic) and mix the two together, and you've got a little batch of flavoured salt. Easy peasy :smile:

Original post by Dalimyr
It'll just be a flavoured/finishing salt. The redness likely comes from paprika and possibly some other spices.

As others have said, you might be able to find it in supermarkets, but in all honesty I wouldn't bother. Flavoured salts are sooooo easy to make at home.

Just take around 60g of salt and a teaspoon of your desired flavouring (paprika or any other spice would be simple, but you could also use things like dried lemon zest. One combo that's in a Jamie Oliver cookbook I want to try at some point is lime zest, lemongrass, chilli and garlic) and mix the two together, and you've got a little batch of flavoured salt. Easy peasy :smile:

I do something similar but add a hint of orange test and the tiniest bit of cayenne, and it works pretty well. Also the garlic should definitely be one of the weaker flavours for it all to come together nicely.
Reply 7
Right guys. Take my advice and try pinch of salt, dried red chilli, fresh coriander and thinly chopped fresh coriander along with finely chopped fresh garlic. You also want some fresh thinly cut onions and squeeze some lemon juice (little bit)
Add some chips in a bowl and mix with the above recipe. For better results add a bit of vinegar depends if you like your chips soggy or crunchy.
I know its a little off the topic but definetly try it for a beeeeeeaaauuuuutiful mediteranian chips dish!!!.
BON APETITE!

Latest