The Student Room Group

Iraqi killer gets 90 days only...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rant
Did you read my post? Why didn't you read the part where I said "That means, it's not okay to kill people, but they really didn't have much of a choice."

How is this hard to understand? Killing is always wrong, but sometimes you have no choice but to kill to prevent far worse things (e.g genocide) from occuring. That still doesn't make it right... are we getting anywhere yet?

Honestly you can't have it both ways and the situation globally is very different to how it was then. There is no war like that anymore. That doesn't mean every war is wrong full stop. The Falklands wasn't wrong.

To be honest when you and people like you start making uninformed statements all it really does is show your lack of knowledge or understanding, or both. Especially when you make silly sweeping statements. You're far too naive to understand so be a good little boy and trott off back to the Justin Bieber forum where you can swoon over him to your hearts desire.

Original post by AWP
I absolutely agree with you! Instead of training soldiers to kill we should provide those people with free education in order to advance our humanity instead of moving backwards, for gods sake we're in the ****ing 21st century when will people start to think for themselves. If we do that then there will be no need to produce more weapons and boast about who has the biggest bomb but provide help for the poor, build our infrastructure and advance technology to fight diseases.

Well firstly many of the people in the army ARE educated.
Secondly, education in this country is free anyway.
Third, they do educate their soldiers for free if said soldiers so wish.
Fourth, people who join the armed forces to be frontline will be taught combat. If they don't like it they don't join.

And lastly, people won't stop joining the army and even then it wouldn't equal the end to all hostilities and arms trade.

Fail.
Reply 21
Original post by thunder_chunky
Honestly you can't have it both ways and the situation globally is very different to how it was then. There is no war like that anymore. That doesn't mean every war is wrong full stop. The Falklands wasn't wrong.

To be honest when you and people like you start making uninformed statements all it really does is show your lack of knowledge or understanding, or both. Especially when you make silly sweeping statements. You're far too naive to understand so be a good little boy and trott off back to the Justin Bieber forum where you can swoon over him to your hearts desire.

Well firstly many of the people in the army ARE educated.
Secondly, education in this country is free anyway.
Third, they do educate their soldiers for free if said soldiers so wish.
Fourth, people who join the armed forces to be frontline will be taught combat. If they don't like it they don't join.

And lastly, people won't stop joining the army and even then it wouldn't equal the end to all hostilities and arms trade.

Fail.

I don't think many soldiers want to be educated if they join the army in the first place..if they are then one might ask if they need to get more educated? You know, some people just take longer. Education in the UK is over 9000 pounds in tuition fees, that's not free especially if you want to pursue a second/third/fourth degree then you won't even get support from the government but they would rather want to spend it on the newly developed bomb. I know that people won't stop joining the army especially not if they are getting stupider and hardly advance as a human nowadays with all the entertainment thrown at people.
Original post by AWP
I don't think many soldiers want to be educated if they join the army in the first place.

Wrong. Many people join to learn a trade or because the army is paying for their university. The idea that people join the army because they are uneducated or don't want to learn is wrong.

.if they are then one might ask if they need to get more educated?

Some might choose to, others might not.

Education in the UK is over 9000 pounds in tuition fees, that's not free

I wasn't talking about uni just school up to 16 or 18. That's free if it's a state school.

especially if you want to pursue a second/third/fourth degree then you won't even get support from the government but they would rather want to spend it on the newly developed bomb. I know that people won't stop joining the army especially not if they are getting stupider and hardly advance as a human nowadays with all the entertainment thrown at people.

Either you are hinting that people educated below university level aren't as clever or you are missing my point. What I mean is that some are educated and some wish to join to learn which they do. Ergo dismissing them as stupid or uneducated us daft. I'm not sure why you're rattling on about uni and multiple degrees.

Like I said, some people join for many reasons. Try doing some actual research.
Reply 23
Wrong. Many people join to learn a trade or because the army is paying for their university. The idea that people join the army because they are uneducated or don't want to learn is wrong.

I wasn't talking about uni just school up to 16 or 18. That's free if it's a state school.

Either you are hinting that people educated below university level aren't as clever or you are missing my point. What I mean is that some are educated and some wish to join to learn which they do. Ergo dismissing them as stupid or uneducated us daft. I'm not sure why you're rattling on about uni and multiple degrees.

You're putting words into my mouth bro, what I said in my initial post was that if people would get more educated to advance humanity then that would be far greater and much more beneficial than going to other countries to kill some.
Original post by AWP
You're putting words into my mouth bro, what I said in my initial post was that if people would get more educated to advance humanity then that would be far greater and much more beneficial than going to other countries to kill some.

Education informs people and empowers them with knowledge but it doesn't automatically make them more saintly. Plenty if people have been educated but still act badly.
Education doesn't automatically equal a better humanity, it's about attitudes too. Some people believe certain things because if how they are raised and sometimes not even a good education can break that.

And anyway the armed forces isn't simply "going to other countries to kill people" so when you start agreeing with the uninformed it doesn't do you any favours.
Reply 25

I would also like to elaborate on a second point. Who do you respect ? The educated (doctor that fights diseases, engineer that builds the infrastructure, artists that provokes creativity, economist that helps us manage our economy, musician that provides sweetness for the ears) or the soldier that joins the army to fight an imaginary noun called terrorism?

I know it sounds unrealistic, but I'm against any soldier and army in this world. Armies in any country should not exist because no army means no dictatorship since he has no forces to surpress the population, no army means less killing of civilians and no army means unity around the globe. I do know that even without armies there will be some people who want to cause harm to others, but think about it if those people do want to cause trouble then they will not face the army of a country but the whole people around the world since everyone will be united fighting for one cause which is peace. When you have people joining the army then they are doing exactly the opposite, becoming slaves and puppets of the elite with the big corporations who don't even care about the lifes of those soldiers (I know that it didn't used to be like that but times have changed and it's all about money now), so yes I have every right to call those people stupid. If less and less people would start joining the army then that would actually be a sign that we're progressing towards peace and unity, if you're up against that then God help you.
Original post by Study
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2012/01/201212423947590252.html

Its funny how the americans always moan about injustice.

TBH its usually aljazeera and various users on this forum that moan about injustice, not the americans.

Once again its unclear what aljazeera arnt able to understand about this case the sargent was charged with negligence, and cleared of involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault - the punishment is fairly set is fairly expected.
Reply 27
Education informs people and empowers them with knowledge but it doesn't automatically make them more saintly. Plenty if people have been educated but still act badly.
Education doesn't automatically equal a better humanity, it's about attitudes too. Some people believe certain things because if how they are raised and sometimes not even a good education can break that.

And anyway the armed forces isn't simply "going to other countries to kill people" so when you start agreeing with the uninformed it doesn't do you any favours.

You know what, I totally agree but a bad attitude is still better than mindless soldiers who think they're heroes because someone at the top of the ladder told them to do something and they did it.
Reply 28
That article reminds me of this
Original post by AWP
I would also like to elaborate on a second point. Who do you respect ? The educated (doctor that fights diseases, engineer that builds the infrastructure, artists that provokes creativity, economist that helps us manage our economy, musician that provides sweetness for the ears) or the soldier that joins the army to fight an imaginary noun called terrorism?

Well firstly there are doctors, dentists, engineers and other professions in the army. They do t just work to help the army but if they are in impoverished countries they work to help tge locals. Doctors provide medicine.

Economists and musicians too. Sometimes band members also double us as medics so therefore they seek to save lives.

Secondly terrorism isn't imaginary. There are aspects that are exagereated and questionable but I wouldn't dismiss it all together.

I respect all if those professions as long as they do good. Doctors, engineers, scientists, and soldiers. Because soldiers can do good too and to deny such a thing is absurd.

I know it sounds unrealistic, but I'm against any soldier and army in this world. Armies in any country should not exist because no army means no dictatorship since he has no forces to surpress the population, no army means less killing of civilians and no army means unity around the globe.

Yeah super but no army means no protection of our country, our soveriegn territory and our allies. If the Argies invaded the Falklands again what would we use, harsh language? Or ask the Americans to do it for us.
Anyone who thinks we should scrap it altogether is living in a pipe dream because these days the armed forces does a lot and alot rests on them. Plus to scrap it would mean tens of thousands of people would lose their jobs.

I'm sorry but the idea that no army = unity around the globe is wrong and it's absurd. War and conflict will probably always exist because of the constant desire and struggle for power and money, amongst other things. The idea we'd all join hands and sing kum by ya is beyond the pale.

I do know that even without armies there will be some people who want to cause harm to others, but think about it if those people do want to cause trouble then they will not face the army of a country but the whole people around the world since everyone will be united fighting for one cause which is peace.

Rubbish. Different political beliefs and different religious beliefs means such a thing is highly unlikely. With no army to stop said people there would be chaos, non stop and lawlessness.
The idea that people would stand up to said aggressors is unrealistic not least because it takes a well trained army to defeat such people. With your idea not only would it fail but a lot of people would die needlessly.

So is that what you want?

When you have people joining the army then they are doing exactly the opposite, becoming slaves and puppets of the elite with the big corporations who don't even care about the lifes of those soldiers

Complete crap. Not least of all because the corporations aren't connected at all. Certainly not in the influential way. Try priding the tin foil hat off your head.

(I know that it didn't used to be like that but times have changed and it's all about money now), so yes I have every right to call those people stupid.

You have a right but you're wrong so it just makes you look uninformed.

If less and less people would start joining the army then that would actually be a sign that we're progressing towards peace and unity,

Balls, it would just mean the country would be less able to protect itself. It would move us one iota towards peace.

if you're up against that then God help you.

Oh noes, you mean Gods against me? I'm doooooooomed!!!!!!!!!

What crock of ****.
Original post by AWP
You know what, I totally agree but a bad attitude is still better than mindless soldiers who think they're heroes because someone at the top of the ladder told them to do something and they did it.

You see the fact that you simplify it like that shows you haven't a clue about what your talking about.
The fact that you dismiss them as mindless soldiers and that you think it's just about at the top giving orders and that's it.

Once again, research. Do some.
Reply 31
Original post by Rant
When will people realise that soldiers are merely murdering puppets who should be locked up? Instead, they're treated like heroes... sure, in World War II, people were fighting for something that needed to be fought against.

Now, they're fighting for money and worse causes... invading other people's countries, killing their children AND GETTING AWAY WITH IT.

This has to be stopped. YOU can help by turning away from soldiers - treating them like murderers upon their return, instead of "heroes". Boycott that awful "charity" that gives aid to killers, and picket their returns to this country.

We've had soldiers collecting ears as trophies, walking into buildings and shooting entire families, urinating on human corpses... and those are just the crimes we know about. How many more are covered up, or never leave the battlefield?

You make me sick.

You take the actions of a few dozen soldiers as representative of the actions of all soldiers in NATO, a force that has hundreds of thousands of soldiers deployed in those arenas. By your logic all Muslims are terrorists, all scousers are theives, all black men are violent criminals.

But oh wait. That's racist and wrong. Guess that's only the case when you want it to be though eh? When it fits your political agenda, sure, brand an entire group wrong because of the actions of a tiny minority. You disgusting hypocrite.

You call soldiers murderers upon their return, and you deserve any violence done to you. And I bet it galls you how much support Help 4 Heroes has. I gladly wear my wristband every day. And so do millions of other Britons. Because we are proud of what our armed forces do. They build schools, give aid to any who need it and defend the weak from the likes of the Taliban and other Islamist insurjents. Crazy as it sounds, a lot of us Brits are proud that our armed forces helped to oust the people that would kill teachers for shwoing girls how to right, we are proud that they removed a genocidal dictator, we are proud that they do good in this world.

And nothing anti-establishment slimeball hypocrites like you say or do will change that.

Not all of our troops are heroes. But 99.9% of them are good people doing good work. Oh, and after reading this thread I just ordered a H4H mug. Hope that irks.
Reply 32
Original post by Study
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2012/01/201212423947590252.html

Its funny how the americans always moan about injustice.

Don't forget the other 7 soldiers who were dismissed/acquitted when they all carried this act out.

The fact that they did a plea bargain with this guy for evidence and in the end no one is really getting justice when they're getting away with it.

The saddest thing is the little girl at the time who played dead, she's lost all siblings and mother and father...............she's got nothing while these guys are free to roam and keep being part of the army.

I don't even get why Iraq allows those soldiers to be treated by American law when they should be tried in the country of their crime, hypocrisy when the USA ask for extraditions ¬¬
Reply 33
You see the fact that you simplify it like that shows you haven't a clue about what your talking about.
The fact that you dismiss them as mindless soldiers and that you think it's just about at the top giving orders and that's it.

Once again, research. Do some.

Whatever, I can't be arsed to continue this argument, with someone who acts immaturely and cannot hold a discussion without insulting..if you really think that troops are risking their lives for you then you're entitled to do so.
Reply 34
The lenient sentence cannot be condoned, but surely we should be focusing on the main source of instability and violence in Iraq. We should care more about the sentences that Iraqi insurgents deserve. The suicide bombers themselves have, by definition, managed to avoid these through their abhorrent actions, but their commanders are clearly undermining our noble project through subversion and mass murder. Their actions even include using down-syndromed women and children as bombs.

Haditha is the only real example of a massacre committed by U.S. forces in Iraq. The vast majority have conducted their jobs to an exemplary standard. In my view they have secured the foundations for a free, prosperous and democratic nation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Steevee
You make me sick.

You take the actions of a few dozen soldiers as representative of the actions of all soldiers in NATO, a force that has hundreds of thousands of soldiers deployed in those arenas. By your logic all Muslims are terrorists, all scousers are theives, all black men are violent criminals.

But oh wait. That's racist and wrong. Guess that's only the case when you want it to be though eh? When it fits your political agenda, sure, brand an entire group wrong because of the actions of a tiny minority. You disgusting hypocrite.

You call soldiers murderers upon their return, and you deserve any violence done to you. And I bet it galls you how much support Help 4 Heroes has. I gladly wear my wristband every day. And so do millions of other Britons. Because we are proud of what our armed forces do. They build schools, give aid to any who need it and defend the weak from the likes of the Taliban and other Islamist insurjents. Crazy as it sounds, a lot of us Brits are proud that our armed forces helped to oust the people that would kill teachers for shwoing girls how to right, we are proud that they removed a genocidal dictator, we are proud that they do good in this world.

And nothing anti-establishment slimeball hypocrites like you say or do will change that.

Not all of our troops are heroes. But 99.9% of them are good people doing good work. Oh, and after reading this thread I just ordered a H4H mug. Hope that irks.

Well done, you're giving money to murderers. Maybe one day you'll realise what a fool you've been. Or maybe you'll be shot by one of your "heroes" when they go rogue after the system crumbles.

And no, I expect nothing less from the brainwashed British public... the majority of people in this country are stupid and easily led. You're a nice example. :smile:
Reply 36

Uninformed? Justin Bieber? I guess you can't really relate to us "civvies" anymore, can you? Trained to kill, not think.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Rant
Well done, you're giving money to murderers. Maybe one day you'll realise what a fool you've been. Or maybe you'll be shot by one of your "heroes" when they go rogue after the system crumbles.

And no, I expect nothing less from the brainwashed British public... the majority of people in this country are stupid and easily led. You're a nice example. :smile:

If it was up to you then the most severe and depraved murderers would have taken over Iraq, and begun terrorizing its population, five or six years ago. Your opinion is worthless.
Reply 38
Original post by Suetonius
If it was up to you then the most severe and depraved murderers would have taken over Iraq, and begun terrorizing its population, five or six years ago. Your opinion is worthless.

Yeah, it's in much better shape now. You probably thought the West went to war for the good of the Iraqi people, don't you?

Oh dear.
If there's any consolation America is fastest growing third world nation these days...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending