The Student Room Group

Medicine 2013 entrant hopefuls :)

Scroll to see replies

Oh god, 6 more months then it's our turn >.< Quite scared about it, but also feel alittle excitied o.O
Reply 81
Original post by Einy
My mum knows the marketing director :smile:, shes the woman ill give anyone who wants the email address of. Theyre really keen to have as many people as possible writing for them. She gave me a few topics she thought i might like to write about and i did a lot of research into them and wrote articles which she then published onto the site. It will of course be proof read before it goes - you cant upload it unless youre an editor

would you be able to give me more inof? this sounds really interesting :smile:
thank you
Original post by Einy
Hey, just wanna say to those apllying for this next year. Something i did for my UCAS form was write articles for a medical company on a range of subjects. it was certainly one of those things that made my form stand out a bit, because it was something no one else had done If anyone would like i can give you their email address and you can get in contact.

Hey there, sorry be be a pain...
But could you send it to me as well? No worries if not, I can imagine she's had quite a few emails already :P
Original post by AtomicMan
Oh god, 6 more months then it's our turn >.< Quite scared about it, but also feel alittle excitied o.O

Exactly how I felt last year, good luck :tongue:
Original post by Einy
My mum knows the marketing director :smile:, shes the woman ill give anyone who wants the email address of. Theyre really keen to have as many people as possible writing for them. She gave me a few topics she thought i might like to write about and i did a lot of research into them and wrote articles which she then published onto the site. It will of course be proof read before it goes - you cant upload it unless youre an editor

Sorry to be a pain but if you could let me have the email details, I would really appreciate it

Reply 85
Hey everyone, cant believe we are applying this year! :-o how much work experience does everyone have?
Original post by lils129
Hey everyone, cant believe we are applying this year! :-o how much work experience does everyone have?

1 week so far in a hospital. But got 3 more weeks linned up in a hospital and voluntering in hospice and care home for the next 5 months wbu? x
Reply 87
Original post by Richyp22
1 week so far in a hospital. But got 3 more weeks linned up in a hospital and voluntering in hospice and care home for the next 5 months wbu? x

I have a week in a hospital, 6 months (so far) at a care home, one day shadowing a med student and hospital volunteering lined up for the summer and also that nuffield bursary thing at a biomedical lab.. Getting worried about the lack of gp though
Original post by lils129
I have a week in a hospital, 6 months (so far) at a care home, one day shadowing a med student and hospital volunteering lined up for the summer and also that nuffield bursary thing at a biomedical lab.. Getting worried about the lack of gp though

I have 1 week at a gp, Its the only place in nottingham who i could find do it. Im worried that idd have only voluntered in a care home for 4-5 months when i apply :smile:

Want to go leeds too and by the looks of it alot of ppl who got in had jobs in a science related field part time. Which ive never had a job :frown:
Reply 89
I have 1 week at a gp, Its the only place in nottingham who i could find do it. Im worried that idd have only voluntered in a care home for 4-5 months when i apply :smile:

Want to go leeds too and by the looks of it alot of ppl who got in had jobs in a science related field part time. Which ive never had a job :frown:

Nah im sure it will be fine its quite a long time anyway! How did you get your gp placement? Did you just write to all the surgeries? Yeah I was a bit dubious about doing it cause its going to take up most of my summer but thought it would be interesting haha
Original post by lils129
Nah im sure it will be fine its quite a long time anyway! How did you get your gp placement? Did you just write to all the surgeries? Yeah I was a bit dubious about doing it cause its going to take up most of my summer but thought it would be interesting haha

Yh rang up about 10 most said no. Apart from another one who said i could possibly get a week.

I think the best way is to drop in a letter by hand so the receptionist cant shuv you off. And also look for the private gps. The govermant ones 99% cant do it due to customer confidenciality.
Reply 91
Ok awesome ill do that after the exams! Im up in scotland so when do you all have yours?
Original post by lils129
Ok awesome ill do that after the exams! Im up in scotland so when do you all have yours?

I start my exams in two weeks and they go on for 12 days. :smile:
Reply 93
I start my exams in two weeks and they go on for 12 days. :smile:

Same, only mine are dragged out for three weeks :'( its terrible, i seem to have lost all motivation for revision the past few days:confused::s-smilie:
Original post by lils129
Same, only mine are dragged out for three weeks :'( its terrible, i seem to have lost all motivation for revision the past few days:confused::s-smilie:

Hahaha im the oppoisite after getting c's and d's in my mock. Im ultramotivated 5 hours a day from now on :wink:
Has anyone who has registered for the king's college open day heard back/received their ticket?
Reply 96
Heya everyone, doing Biomed at the moment, will be applying for the 5-year medicine course. My options so far are QML and King's College, I'm not yet 100% sure on the other 2.
Has anyone who has registered for the king's college open day heard back/received their ticket?
Reply 98
Original post by bloomingblossoms

Nope I haven't! But I did get a confirmation email as soon as I've booked the event saying thay my application has been processed and stuff so hopefully we'll get it like a week before the open day? :smile:
Hey guys, I didn't know which thread to go to so I'm gonna ask here anyways:
Basically, I'm currently a yr 12 student studying Biology, Chemistry Psychology and history, and want to get into medicine. What i want to know is, how much is my GCSE's going to affect my chances of getting in?
my grades are as follows:

Double Science: AA §
English Lit and Lang: AA
Turkish: A
Maths: B
Citizenship/PDC: C
Drama: C
Sociology: C
Music: C
ICT: CC
PE: C

§ In the sciences, i am 4 marks and 2 marks away from 2A*'s, is it worth me resitting??

Also, as you may have noticed, i didn't take history for GCSE, but have so for AS. I'm not going to change my choice, neither do i regret it, but will it help that i chose the subject despite not choosing it previously at GCSE?

Thanks to anyone who replies!!

Quick Reply