The Student Room Group

Nottingham teenager jailed for knifepoint double rape

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hogwartz
I've dropped that, I do law, politics, psychology and english literature. :wink: Does someone who has an okay-ish upbringing have a reason to rape? Compared to someone who has no aspirations in their lives?

You still studied it. :wink:

You seem to be arguing two different things, you can stil have had a bad upbringing but have aspiration, or have had a good upbringing and have no aspiration. Now I suppose that having no aspiration could make a person commit such a crime (I don't care, I have no plans which will be thwarted by a criminal record etc), but they would also have to want to rape someone and would also have to be able to ignore the effects their own actions would have on the other person-so not exactly be great people anyway. Also, given that most people who had a tough childhood don't go on to commit sex crime (the very notion that they could be rapists based on this could be considered insulting) surely indicates that the problem lies more with the individual than society?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
I've dropped that, I do law, politics, psychology and english literature. :wink: Does someone who has an okay-ish upbringing have a reason to rape? Compared to someone who has no aspirations in their lives?

To what end does a person with a "poor upbringing" find in raping multiple teenagers at knifepoint? Upbringing has little to nothing to do with rape. Also, a psychopath cannot be reformed anyway, as others have explained. What I think you're consistently failing to understand, is that the prison and punishment system is in place mostly as a deterrent. If we don't deter would-be criminals from crime, more occurrences like this would take place. Our system relies on the fear of retribution, and rightly so, because if we believe that immoral actions have no consequences, we'd be unable to progress as a society. On that note, to fail to punish a heinous crime like this would be inconsistent and an encouragement to other would-be criminals that they can get away with doing things and claiming poor-upbringing or mental illness.

By the way, a person born to a working-class family can definitely have aspirations. If they try hard enough and have the ability, poor-upbringing will only be a hurdle - not a wall. You're committing post hoc in terms of upbringing.
Original post by PendulumBoB
Also, given that most people who had a tough childhood don't go on to commit sex crime (the very notion that they could be rapists based on this could be considered insulting) surely indicates that the problem lies more with the individual than society?
If you admit it lies more with the individual than society, you implicitly admit society plays a role. Salient societal values codetermine, alongside an individual's private choice, the propensity to execute certain acts. Inherent individualism is often repressed by the societal instillation of morality and collectivism; where societal morals and collectivism are not instilled due to the individual's unpropitious social circumstance, they are more likely to commit crimes of all types than those raised in a propitious social environment where societally beneficent values are instilled. Obviously, these factors are non-coterminous: a family that prioritises the acquisition of wealth (e.g., bankers) will also have an absence of empathy and moral values, but differences in other values means the violence required to rape someone is the differential factor between them and people in other social environments. It is multifactorial, but unpropitious social environments are more likely to have a concentration of codetermining societally maleficent values than those in propitious environments. The extent to which societal values override individual values, or vice-versa, varies by person, but societal values also vary by space and will influence an individual's moral values.
(edited 12 years ago)
I wonder why some specific rapes are reported on mass-scale by the media whilst others are not?
Original post by whyumadtho
If you admit it lies more with the individual than society, you implicitly admit society plays a role. Salient societal values codetermine, alongside an individual's private choice, the propensity to execute certain acts. Inherent individualism is often repressed by the societal instillation of morality and collectivism; where societal morals and collectivism are not instilled due to the individual's unpropitious social circumstance, they are more likely to commit crime of all types than those raised in a propitious social environment where societally beneficent values are instilled.

Of course I believe that the environment plays a role, just that this role is vastly overstated for various reasons. I think given that (some) behaviour is generally more nature than nurture in a society of limited resources, paying highly trained individuals to somehow, "cure" such people is quite simply a waste, especially given the high rates of reoffending when it comes to sexual criminals.

This man or may not have had values instilled in him, either way it clearly didn't help and I certainly take exception to the idea that society can be held responsible in any way for this man's actions.

Rape requires the suspension of empathy, consequence and collectivism; all of these values are less present in unpropitious social environments than propitious ones. The extent to which societal values override individual values, or vice-versa, varies by person, but societal values also vary by space and will influence an individual's moral values.

Do you believe that if the government were to take resources from the wealthiest in society and use them to improve the standards of living in these areas that they would become better places to live in terms of crime?
Of course I believe that the environment plays a role, just that this role is vastly overstated for various reasons. I think given that (some) behaviour is generally more nature than nurture in a society of limited resources, paying highly trained individuals to somehow, "cure" such people is quite simply a waste, especially given the high rates of reoffending when it comes to sexual criminals.

This man or may not have had values instilled in him, either way it clearly didn't help and I certainly take exception to the idea that society can be held responsible in any way for this man's actions.
I never suggested you should blame society, but that you should be aware that the presence and salience of particular values in an individual's environment have a major role on an individual's moral compass and that it codetermines, alongside private choice, the individual's propensity to execute certain acts. Where there is a dearth of beneficent moral values in the individual's environment, they are less likely to acquire beneficent moral values than those whose environment is replete with them.

Do you believe that if the government were to take resources from the wealthiest in society and use them to improve the standards of living in these areas that they would become better places to live in terms of crime?
I believe families failing to isolate their child(ren) from unpropitious influences and the salience of particular socio-cultural traits are the main problems. These values must be diffused or removed before fiscal input will be effective.
I never suggested you should blame society, but that you should be aware that the presence and salience of particular values in an individual's environment have a major role on an individual's moral compass and that it codetermines, alongside private choice, the individual's propensity to execute certain acts. Where there is a dearth of beneficent moral values in the individual's environment, they are less likely to acquire beneficent moral values than those whose environment is replete with them.

I believe families failing to isolate their child(ren) from unpropitious influences and the salience of particular socio-cultural traits are the main problems. These values must be diffused or removed before fiscal input will be effective.

So surely the existence of community (or at least a community with an undesirable culture) is in fact the actual problem, rather than a lack of collectivisation? It's as if you believe that bad behaviour can be viewed almost as a disease. Perhaps tower blocks/communities where people live in close contact with each other are part of the problem, I personally don't think that it's good for people too live really close to each other, but this is another issue.
So surely the existence of community (or at least a community with an undesirable culture) is in fact the actual problem, rather than a lack of collectivisation?
When I say 'collectivism' I mean collectivism as governed by law: the enforced cooperative values (illegalisation of murder, rape, speeding, etc.) designed to ensure mutual benefit and harmonious coexistence of all members of a society. Absolute individualism overrides these rules in favour of private interests (sexual desire, in this case) and is a problem of the fundamental aspects (empathy, consequence, amiability, etc.) of morality than underpin these laws being less present in the offender's environment.

The presence of community isn't the problem per se, but becomes one when the rules that govern this community are in violation of the overarching societal laws and their moral foundations. When I say people should be individualistic, it's with the intention of transcending this micro-community and its unpropitious values and inclining towards the nationwide community that is governed by law. People should fulfil their private aspirations providing it is within society's legal and moral framework.

It's as if you believe that bad behaviour can be viewed almost as a disease. Perhaps tower blocks/communities where people live in close contact with each other are part of the problem, I personally don't think that it's good for people too live really close to each other, but this is another issue.
Behaviour has similar properties to a contagious disease: it is transmitted by association with hosts of the behavioural trait. The person gradually inclines towards the traits of this host unless there is an opposing force (from within or by the agency of another person) in place to counteract this influence. The greater the number of hosts of a particular trait, the faster the individual will acquire the trait.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
Shottingham much?
Original post by Nick1sHere
**** this, they should show everyone his name with his photo next to it and let the little bastard get whats coming to him.

I don't care if he's underage.... He shouldn't be protected

I know, I can't even begin to imagine the amount of rage the two females families are going through. Hiding that little ***** identity.
Reply 110
This is the reason why i want to become a CPS Prosecutor, i would put this piece of **** away for life.
Reply 111
Like as if shoving him in jail for 9 years is going to do anything.

Exactly. What these sick ****s need is a bullet in the brain, or the whole of their natural life behind bars. 9 years, what a joke.
Original post by pinda.college
Did a thread really need to be made for this?

There's nothing to discuss.

Not really.....except it is vaguely interesting.

Personally it makes me simultaneously a little angry he only got 9 years when the maximum sentence for rape is life and he had 3 counts which he pleaded guilty to and were for all accounts pretty horrible crimes... and also very glad that at least two rape victims have some closure as pretty much 95% of rape victims will never even get close to seeing their rapists brought to trial.
Reply 113
Original post by Brienza13
another black on white rape i see.

It's funny because it is true!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending