The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Lyceum
Actually I don't think Greek chariotry was really that fast...probably mobile archery/javelin platforms. In fact in the ancient world only the Indians seemed to, for some reason, employ the "charge fast with massive lances" model. On one hand it makes sense because they had fast, strong, horses. On the other...well being the premier archers of the ancient world it seems like a retarded strategy. Academics are still confuzzled over that one.

http://www.soas.ac.uk/history/conferences/donkey-conference/

Ha, cool. SOAS is actually one of my favourite universities. Really innovative and they put out a lot of really cool research each year. WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING PLACES LIKE THIS MORE?!?!
Anyone else come here for a star was nerd session and get disappointed?
Do donkeys like having sex at 3am? It's a question I've been pondering for a while now since I live near a donkey sanctuary and they make some rather excited ee-aww noises at about that time of the night.
I don't know, I recall once having to handle a horse who enjoyed defecating (whilst I was on him) and then trampling it, neighing frantically. He was an odd ball he was called "Cindarella" for some bizarre reason. He also used to happily try and bite people/horses but seemed to like other animals.

In general I dislike horses. Smelly, illogical and moronic animals. Now if I could have a giant cat to ride, that would be bossman.
Reply 3565
Original post by The Lyceum
I don't know, I recall once having to handle a horse who enjoyed defecating (whilst I was on him) and then trampling it, neighing frantically. He was an odd ball he was called "Cindarella" for some bizarre reason. He also used to happily try and bite people/horses but seemed to like other animals.

In general I dislike horses. Smelly, illogical and moronic animals. Now if I could have a giant cat to ride, that would be bossman.

... they returned from the ride
with Lyceum inside
and the smile on the face of the tiger
.:wink:

Seriously, though, if a standard-sized cat can hospitalise you, don't you think it might be a little dangerous to try and mess with giant ones?
Original post by hobnob
... they returned from the ride
with Lyceum inside
and the smile on the face of the tiger
.:wink:

That's a bit blue isn't it Hobnob?
Reply 3567
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi
That's a bit blue isn't it Hobnob?

Oops, you're right. It should have been this smiley, I suppose: :proud:
Original post by hobnob
So what happened when she turned 18, then? Did she receive a pet beaver for her birthday?:confused:

I realised that she was labouring under the misapprehension that they were an imaginary creature dreamed up by CS Lewis (no, really :lolwut:) and disabused her of the notion.
I didn't know you had a sister :smile: she sounds inventive!

Apologies for the brevity and/or any strange typos - this post was written on my iPhone, which are not as idiot-proof as they'd have you believe.
Original post by Cirsium
I realised that she was labouring under the misapprehension that they were an imaginary creature dreamed up by CS Lewis (no, really :lolwut:) and disabused her of the notion.

brilliant :biggrin:
Reply 3571
Original post by Cirsium

:rofl:
So when are you going to tell her about the existence of centaurs and talking lions, then?
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi
It's the stage you reach just prior to the book going to press. It means I can see the text and the photographs laid out properly and all that. It's quite a fun moment and it won't be many more weeks before it makes it into the shops.

ah, i thought maybe galley proofs was something slightly different (only ever heard it called proofs before). congrats on your book, that's brilliant :smile:
Original post by IlexAquifolium
I didn't know you had a sister :smile: she sounds inventive!

Actually my sister is by far the more normal one. She is pretty and fashionable and popular and doesn't read or do sports :rolleyes:

£150 later I am going to the Olympics :biggrin: (soon I will realise that I have no money and that this was a really really stupid thing to do....)
obi_adorno_kenobi
It's the stage you reach just prior to the book going to press. It means I can see the text and the photographs laid out properly and all that. It's quite a fun moment and it won't be many more weeks before it makes it into the shops.

Will this book be affordable enough for me to buy a copy and have you sign it? :flutter:
Original post by flying plum
Bloody hell. I think I spend half of that on groceries alone a month... I suck at budgeting.

Yeh, but so did I when I had the money. Its not about budgeting, but constraint. Then again my fiance has lived on a very eager income since he started undergraduate, which allowed him to save all of the £3000 per year hardship bursary Cambridge gave him, and some :adore: Some people... Then again, I think he derives geeky satisfaction from working out the highest nutritional impact for the lowest cost, whereas I hate having to sit down and calculate everything.
Original post by flying plum
I shouldn't have one really...it costs about £600 a year to run. I got it because my last job required so much travelling to participants and have kept it out if convenience, but should sell it really... But yeah, as craggy says, a stipend is fine (anyway, cam is no diff to Oxford), I wouldn't worry. And you can do things like teach, presumably, if you feel a bit hard up? You'll not be living the life fantastic, but you certainly won't starve or lack some beer money :smile:

I miss driving, but cars in the UK are a massive waste of money. I can't see myself having one until I have kids, because it frankly doesn't make any sense financially. My bus pass in Norwich is £200 a year for unlimited travel. For Corinna in Cambridge... well put it this way. For the three years I was at Peterhouse it didn't make any sense for me to use a bicycle because it took me longer to unlock and lock up the thing than it took for me to just walk from college to anywhere. Then again, Classics is on the Sidgewick site, so there she might find a bike useful. Even so, though, a car would really be ludicrous in central Cambridge.
Original post by *Corinna*
do you think I'll have problems with having my bf over for a few weeks every now and then? A friend told me her flatmate basically had her bf living with her and that was at Newham where he'd stand out like the fly in the milk (Greek expression :tongue:).

It depends on your bedder. I found that having people for a few nights at Peterhouse was fine. I think you'd be pushing it with over a week. At Trinity Hall I had the evil bedder of doom who loved to report my fiance if she caught him staying more than 2 nights. Surely you're living in an Oxford college now and know how this all works? At Peterhouse the porters had a soft spot for me and Dave because we were both undergrads and I think they found it sweet how we'd paired up :o:

yeah I really do want to teach. The thing is, I know for a fact that I will 99% also win a scholarship from a Greek foundation (I already have it so I basically have to renew it and from what I understand it's always renewed) which would give me £5000 per year for the first two years. But Peterhouse said if I win anything else they will give me that much less money. It would be nice having some extra cash, I wonder if I could make a case for it. Say for example I want to keep it for research trips, conferences, going to summer language courses (we need to have two modern languages by our second year so I am thinking about going to Germany and Italy in the next two summers to speed up the process). But I doubt they'll be sympathetic about it.

I presume you won't need any extra money for this. Trinity Hall gave PhD students a research expenses allowance of £1000 per year. I assume Peterhouse may do something similar. If you have AHRC then they would also have an additional research expenses fund.
But no, it would be very selfish to ask a college or funding body to let you keep more money than the £13k or whatever they want it all to add up to. That's money they could be using to help another student be part-funded!
Original post by Cirsium
Will this book be affordable enough for me to buy a copy and have you sign it? :flutter:

They haven't quite worked out the final cost yet - it depends on which printers take up the tender - but it should be somewhere around £15 for a fully illustrated paperback. And, if I buy it then I get an author discount so it works out about £12 on that basis or, if it comes out at the higher price of £20, about £15 on the next scale. All of which is to say, I hope it's very much an affordable book and of course I will even though I'd feel silly doing it!
Original post by Craghyrax
Yeh, but so did I when I had the money. Its not about budgeting, but constraint. Then again my fiance has lived on a very eager income since he started undergraduate, which allowed him to save all of the £3000 per year hardship bursary Cambridge gave him, and some :adore: Some people... Then again, I think he derives geeky satisfaction from working out the highest nutritional impact for the lowest cost, whereas I hate having to sit down and calculate everything.

I miss driving, but cars in the UK are a massive waste of money. I can't see myself having one until I have kids, because it frankly doesn't make any sense financially. My bus pass in Norwich is £200 a year for unlimited travel. For Corinna in Cambridge... well put it this way. For the three years I was at Peterhouse it didn't make any sense for me to use a bicycle because it took me longer to unlock and lock up the thing than it took for me to just walk from college to anywhere. Then again, Classics is on the Sidgewick site, so there she might find a bike useful. Even so, though, a car would really be ludicrous in central Cambridge.

It depends on your bedder. I found that having people for a few nights at Peterhouse was fine. I think you'd be pushing it with over a week. At Trinity Hall I had the evil bedder of doom who loved to report my fiance if she caught him staying more than 2 nights. Surely you're living in an Oxford college now and know how this all works? At Peterhouse the porters had a soft spot for me and Dave because we were both undergrads and I think they found it sweet how we'd paired up :o:

I presume you won't need any extra money for this. Trinity Hall gave PhD students a research expenses allowance of £1000 per year. I assume Peterhouse may do something similar. If you have AHRC then they would also have an additional research expenses fund.
But no, it would be very selfish to ask a college or funding body to let you keep more money than the £13k or whatever they want it all to add up to. That's money they could be using to help another student be part-funded!

I don't live in college this year. Since we are both studying at Oxford we got couples' accommodation so we live in a flat. I will miss having my own house.
Reply 3578
I don't live in college this year. Since we are both studying at Oxford we got couples' accommodation so we live in a flat. I will miss having my own house.

If you live in college accommodation, make sure you get on your scout's (or bedder's) good side, i.e. be nice and friendly, remember their name and have a chat with them every now and again. A scout who likes you will be happy to turn a blind eye if you break some minor college rule, but a hostile scout can quite easily get you into trouble, so it really isn't a good idea to antagonise them if you can help it.

Oh, I see. You're lucky. Be prepared. Living in college will probably come as a big shock. There are some benefits, but also some very infuriating downsides.

Latest

Trending

Trending