(in time for my birthday on Sunday)

Happy belated!
:cake:
:birthday:
Original post by sj27
Happy belated!
:cake:
:birthday:

Thanks :smile: It was swell: big lunch, big long hill walk, reading my presents in a lovely village boozer, went to see The Artist at the cinema (loved it), nice Italian meal, and then a bit more beeriness at our favourite old pubs. A grand day out.
Reply 342
Original post by the_alba
Argh, I've been trying to review a poetry book all afternoon, and it's frustrating me. Maybe I should just go for a swim.

You should definitely include that in your review:

'I have to confess that 2swim@birdz was a poetry book I found intensely frustrating as a reader. Let's pray that this isn't the future of modern Irish poetry. After grappling with it for two hours and failing to make sense of it all, I decided just to go for a swim...'
:p:
Reply 343
That would be one marathon interview! :tongue: He came home on Saturday (in time for my birthday on Sunday). We won't know the outcome till mid-Feb though. Agonising...

Argh, I've been trying to review a poetry book all afternoon, and it's frustrating me. Maybe I should just go for a swim.

Ahaha, sorry, I lost track of time! Happy birthday for Sunday btw. Did you do anything nice? :smile:

EDIT: too late :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 344
I am getting really frustrated by the Part II students sat chatting in our office about how they really need to read these papers.

Yes, yes you do. Because you should have read them before you started lab work, as opposed to a couple of weeks before your write up is due. And you shouldn't be chatting about it while I try to (silently) rehearse my presentation that I really need to concentrate on!!! :rant:
Reply 345
Original post by Cirsium
I am getting really frustrated by the Part II students sat chatting in our office about how they really need to read these papers.

Yes, yes you do. Because you should have read them before you started lab work, as opposed to a couple of weeks before your write up is due. And you shouldn't be chatting about it while I try to (silently) rehearse my presentation that I really need to concentrate on!!! :rant:

Ask them to be quiet and casually remind them that you'll be marking their work soon?
Thanks :smile: It was swell: big lunch, big long hill walk, reading my presents in a lovely village boozer, went to see The Artist at the cinema (loved it), nice Italian meal, and then a bit more beeriness at our favourite old pubs. A grand day out.

happy birthday :smile: I am glad you had a good day! Everyone deserves to have a beautiful day at their birthday. I didn't even get a cake in mine :frown:
Reply 347
Original post by Xristina
happy birthday :smile: I am glad you had a good day! Everyone deserves to have a beautiful day at their birthday. I didn't even get a cake in mine :frown:

I got cake but I made it myself! Haha. I didn't even get a present from my bf :frown: I was mad at him for that, think I was in the right (although it is a silly, material thing to get upset about especially as it would seem I am still bitter about it...)
Original post by hobnob

'I have to confess that 2swim@birdz was a poetry book I found intensely frustrating as a reader. Let's pray that this isn't the future of modern Irish poetry. After grappling with it for two hours and failing to make sense of it all, I decided just to go for a swim...'

do you know (or anyone else doing/liking literature really...) by any chance if there is a technical name for the repetition of the first syllable of two words? I know the first letter is alliteration, but in a pair like : virum virginem, vir- is the repetition. Should I just call it repetition?
Original post by Becca
I got cake but I made it myself! Haha. I didn't even get a present from my bf :frown: I was mad at him for that, think I was in the right (although it is a silly, material thing to get upset about especially as it would seem I am still bitter about it...)

you are right!! I would have been really upset if my bf did not buy me a present (or a cake :tongue:) We only have one day per year when we deserve to be pampered (well, that and when we are sick, but when you are sick you can't enjoy it :frown: )
Reply 350
Original post by Becca

I'm guessing though it's not the "material" aspect that is upsetting you...
Reply 351
Original post by sj27
I'm guessing though it's not the "material" aspect that is upsetting you...

True. At least he can try and make up for it this year :p: He has made a new years resolution to be more romantic towards me, but I have yet to see anything!
Reply 352
Original post by Becca

Depends on the circumstances. In my view, birthday presents are definitely expected unless there's a good excuse, but they're not the most important thing in the world. Plus it's the sentiment that counts. So if Helen was ill or stressed and snowed under with work, I wouldn't mind if she didn't get me something (though I'd probably expect her to do something nice when she was well/unstressed again). I'd rather that than her getting worried that she must find something. But if she was well and didn't show the sentiment or thought for me on my birthday, I might get a little annoyed.

Though on the latter, I'd probably be annoyed that she didn't think about me and show the sentiment than the lack of a present, and the form of my annoyance would probably be the sort of minor guilt trip that results in her being especially nice because she feels bad. You could try the latter, it may result in presents?
Reply 353
Original post by Drogue
Depends on the circumstances. In my view, birthday presents are definitely expected unless there's a good excuse, but they're not the most important thing in the world. Plus it's the sentiment that counts. So if Helen was ill or stressed and snowed under with work, I wouldn't mind if she didn't get me something (though I'd probably expect her to do something nice when she was well/unstressed again). I'd rather that than her getting worried that she must find something. But if she was well and didn't show the sentiment or thought for me on my birthday, I might get a little annoyed.

Though on the latter, I'd probably be annoyed that she didn't think about me and show the sentiment than the lack of a present, and the form of my annoyance would probably be the sort of minor guilt trip that results in her being especially nice because she feels bad. You could try the latter, it may result in presents?

Lol well, there were no extenuating circumstances such as the ones you describe apart from his not being able to think of anything...I woke up and received a happy birthday a hug and a kiss, went to work thinking there would be something nice when I got in (dinner cooked for me etc, wasn't expecting anything massive) but I got in and had to make tea. Then we went training and I thought I might get a surprise, but then it became clear I wasn't getting anything so it was the old "being really quiet and glum-getting asked if I was ok- saying I was ok when I actually wasn't" routine for the rest of the evening, with him completely failing to work out why I was upset. It ended with a late-night crying session with me having to tell him outright why I was upset and feeling pathetic about it.
I don't know, I guess I just love buying/making people gifts and making them feel special. I spend a lot of time thinking about appropriate gifts for my family and friends and maybe I have too-high expectations of other people? But it's not like we've only just got together...it was all just a bit weird really.
I did get a belated birthday present of a landline telephone...but I am actually getting a bit upset writing this now lol. I literally would have been happy with a token on the day, a nice dinner cooked for me so I didn't have to do it, flowers or chocolates (I love all those things!) but apparently I am "hard to buy for"? I really don't think I am :dontknow:
Original post by Craghyrax

Dell is known for good customer support. But at the same time what one wants is a product that doesn't need to go in for repairs all the time. And the number of people I know who've had hassles with Dells really puts me off. Dave has one and its now had so many repairs that there isn't a single component of the original laptop remaining, and its not even 2 years old! :hmpf:

This time it's not their fault it's broken. He bought a refurbished computer that arrived not working :frown: the laptop repair shop I took it to says that it's not working because it has been soldered badly.

Becca
Lol well, there were no extenuating circumstances such as the ones you describe apart from his not being able to think of anything...I woke up and received a happy birthday a hug and a kiss, went to work thinking there would be something nice when I got in (dinner cooked for me etc, wasn't expecting anything massive) but I got in and had to make tea. Then we went training and I thought I might get a surprise, but then it became clear I wasn't getting anything so it was the old "being really quiet and glum-getting asked if I was ok- saying I was ok when I actually wasn't" routine for the rest of the evening, with him completely failing to work out why I was upset. It ended with a late-night crying session with me having to tell him outright why I was upset and feeling pathetic about it.
I don't know, I guess I just love buying/making people gifts and making them feel special. I spend a lot of time thinking about appropriate gifts for my family and friends and maybe I have too-high expectations of other people? But it's not like we've only just got together...it was all just a bit weird really.
I did get a belated birthday present of a landline telephone...but I am actually getting a bit upset writing this now lol. I literally would have been happy with a token on the day, a nice dinner cooked for me so I didn't have to do it, flowers or chocolates (I love all those things!) but apparently I am "hard to buy for"? I really don't think I am

:hugs: I think you have a right to be a bit miffed, I would be! but perhaps he just didn't realise you would have been happy with a token present. I'm guilty of stressing about not finding the perfect present for people and ending up feeling bad for getting them something generic and boring, and sometimes chickening out entirely and not getting anything. What has he done in the past?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 355
Original post by Becca
I did get a belated birthday present of a landline telephone...but I am actually getting a bit upset writing this now lol. I literally would have been happy with a token on the day, a nice dinner cooked for me so I didn't have to do it, flowers or chocolates (I love all those things!) but apparently I am "hard to buy for"? I really don't think I am :dontknow:

Aw. :hugs:

I think it's exactly that - the token/symbol rather than being bought "the perfect gift". My hubby and I have been together for a long time now, and sometimes we splash out for each other, and sometimes we just buy silly little gifts when we can't think of "proper" presents. In fact last year he just got me a fancy cake made! It's definitely more the token than the materiality.
Reply 356
Original post by scarlet ibis

:hugs: I think you have a right to be a bit miffed, I would be! but perhaps he just didn't realise you would have been happy with a token present. I'm guilty of stressing about not finding the perfect present for people and ending up feeling bad for getting them something generic and boring, and sometimes chickening out entirely and not getting anything. What has he done in the past?

I have stated my appreciation of token presents on many an occasion :p:
In the past I've had a fjord boat trip in 2006 (OK that was amazing) and visits from him when we were still long distance. We were almost never together on my birthday so then I was happy to get a phone call but now we've been living together for 2 birthdays and no tokens! LOL I sound so spoiled. I think I need to make my expectations clearer :p:

Original post by sj27
Aw. :hugs:

I think it's exactly that - the token/symbol rather than being bought "the perfect gift". My hubby and I have been together for a long time now, and sometimes we splash out for each other, and sometimes we just buy silly little gifts when we can't think of "proper" presents. In fact last year he just got me a fancy cake made! It's definitely more the token than the materiality.

Yeah I'd love a cake! Hehe!
Reply 357
Original post by apotoftea
International Velvet story (ish) :love:

ETS: tbf, I had that aspiration thinking about it, still do underneath probably.

It's funny you should say that, because seeing International Velvet as a child probably was a crucial turning point for me from one dream to the other. I was totally traumatised by the aeroplane scene and knew I could never be that gun-wielding vet. However, I knew I could be a brilliant rider. (I was wrong, of course, but there we go ...)

Oh, I completely forgot about my eventing dreams! (Also minus the horse and money). That lasted from nine to eleven, at which point my cherished riding lessons became a thing of the past. Damn being poor!

And the author thing too, of course. I didn't mention that in my list, probably because it was always just there. My best friend and I both wanted to be famous authors, and we co-wrote stuff constantly (it often got us in trouble for its gritty themes). She's still a really talented writer but, alas, she went into microbiology and now really regrets it. Not that she couldn't just write anyway of course... but her reading has become lazier.

I too feel negative about the future... but hey, the vet-fairy thing could still happen!

Hurrah for little girls and their equine dreams. Being poor and having equine dreams sucks. My parents only let my sister have riding lessons and not me, so I used to go and watch her and hang out at the stables and hope one day I would get on a horse. Then I started working for rides. Amazing. I was so happy. It was slave labour, all my free time was spent shovelling and grooming and cleaning and sweeping, but for that hour at the end of the day when I could choose a pony and go for a ride... It was heaven.

Writing: I am stuck between dreams, and sort of feel that my literary destiny lies in writing YA... Then another part of me is really snooty about it and wants to do something SERIOUS and IMPORTANT for CLEVER GROWN-UPS. I guess my priority should be to finish something that I actually like before I worry about such things.
Original post by hobnob

Ha. I normally try to keep the 'I' out of my reviews, but in one I've just written, I couldn't help myself. A quite senior British poet who really gets off on hammed-up ideas of decaying culture and everything having gone to pot had written a poem about how an orchard in Hull that used to be so great is now full of stained mattresses, old carpets, rubble, beer cans and suicidal drunks. I happened to be writing the review from my back bedroom which overlooks the very same orchard. There are no drunks, no mattresses; only apple trees and garden birds. I couldn't resist pointing this out :biggrin:

Original post by Becca
I have stated my appreciation of token presents on many an occasion :p:
In the past I've had a fjord boat trip in 2006 (OK that was amazing) and visits from him when we were still long distance. We were almost never together on my birthday so then I was happy to get a phone call but now we've been living together for 2 birthdays and no tokens! LOL I sound so spoiled. I think I need to make my expectations clearer :p:

Meh, poor you. I wasn't able to get my fiance a gift for his birthday last year, as I was completely broke and felt really bad about it even though he doesn't really care. He couldn't get me one beforehand this year because of the interview crisis. So we went to Waterstone's on Sunday morning and I picked out one or two things. Gifts don't matter, but as you say, tokens help. I'm sure he'll make it up to you!
Ha. I normally try to keep the 'I' out of my reviews, but in one I've just written, I couldn't help myself. A quite senior British poet who really gets off on hammed-up ideas of decaying culture and everything having gone to pot had written a poem about how an orchard in Hull that used to be so great is now full of stained mattresses, old carpets, rubble, beer cans and suicidal drunks. I happened to be writing the review from my back bedroom which overlooks the very same orchard. There are no drunks, no mattresses; only apple trees and garden birds. I couldn't resist pointing this out :biggrin:

:rofl: :teehee: :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending