The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Have just gone and shared it on the Eurovision thread, to help the survey creator out :yes:

Thanks :smile: I think its probably allowed. I checked the rules recently and you're allowed to spread a survey when its directly relevant to a particular thread or discussion, but otherwise it has to go into the Media Opportunities thread. Still an Entertainment mod might remove it.
I actually was about to go and do the same but you got there first :five:
Original post by Craghyrax
Thanks :smile: I think its probably allowed. I checked the rules recently and you're allowed to spread a survey when its directly relevant to a particular thread or discussion, but otherwise it has to go into the Media Opportunities thread. Still an Entertainment mod might remove it.
I actually was about to go and do the same but you got there first :five:

Well hopefully they'll see it's relevant and not move it. Lord knows I spread my Glee dissertation questionnaire all over TSR, as well as having a proper thread in the MO section. Never got told off for it, so I presume the mods just humoured me :ahee:

Having to write a 15 minute presentation about my dissertation research atm. It's all informal and everything but an ethnomusicologist from Royal Holloway is coming to hear us all, so I'd like to make a good impression :yes: I've never presented even informally before, so it's a bit daunting :colondollar:
Well hopefully they'll see it's relevant and not move it. Lord knows I spread my Glee dissertation questionnaire all over TSR, as well as having a proper thread in the MO section. Never got told off for it, so I presume the mods just humoured me :ahee:
I think when you're giving it to people you already know in a chat thread where you're a regular it might be seen as less of a problem, because its a favour you're asking of friends you know. I think when you are a complete stranger and you're not actually part of the community and go on a big spree spreading your link everywhere, that puts peoples' backs up a lot more. And I think we use that sort of discretion when we mod things for advertising.

Having to write a 15 minute presentation about my dissertation research atm. It's all informal and everything but an ethnomusicologist from Royal Holloway is coming to hear us all, so I'd like to make a good impression :yes: I've never presented even informally before, so it's a bit daunting :colondollar:

Good luck.
I think when you're giving it to people you already know in a chat thread where you're a regular it might be seen as less of a problem, because its a favour you're asking of friends you know. I think when you are a complete stranger and you're not actually part of the community and go on a big spree spreading your link everywhere, that puts peoples' backs up a lot more. And I think we use that sort of discretion when we mod things for advertising.

Good luck.

Ah that makes sense. I did only spread it in threads where I am known (apart from when I gatecrashed the Oxford freshers' 2012 thread and the Uni Procrastination thread. Don't think they know me in there) :yes:

Thanks :hugs: It's so silly really. My brain has decided that my dissertation supervisor is scary, so I've had to decide not to have a tutorial with him about it. Hope that doesn't come round to bite me in the end :s-smilie:

Thanks :hugs: It's so silly really. My brain has decided that my dissertation supervisor is scary, so I've had to decide not to have a tutorial with him about it. Hope that doesn't come round to bite me in the end :s-smilie:

You should see your supervisor. You need to face your fears or else they grow.
You should see your supervisor. You need to face your fears or else they grow.

I know, I know. I might 'fess up to my pathway leader, who is the other supervisor, and talk to him about what can be done. I'm hoping it should be OK though. I got the impression that my supervisor didn't feel the need to see me in person again unless there was a problem. He just said to send stuff once I started writing :yes:

That said, he's the co-editor of the Popular Music journal, so it's really in my interests to get to know him and stay on his good side :colone:
Reply 3926
Original post by *Corinna*
My experience with the tutorial system as a postgrad student is that different professors expect different things. I know people who would be repeatedly drilled and pushed with questions whereas my tutorials were pretty laid back. All of them had done their undergrad/masters/DPhil and had taught at Oxford for years. And in any case the solution is not to instantly exclude external students but to spend the minimum time required to explain to them the system. As to getting used to the tutorial format, even if you have experienced something as a student you still need time to get used to being at the other end of the stick.

I wasn't suggesting that external students should be excluded, but that the preparation for teaching is mostly theoretical, and that DPhils who did their undergraduate degrees elsewhere don't always seem to have a very clear idea of how tutorials work. Or at least that's the impression I got from the teaching seminars that I attended.:dontknow:
Original post by hobnob
I wasn't suggesting that external students should be excluded, but that the preparation for teaching is mostly theoretical, and that DPhils who did their undergraduate degrees elsewhere don't always seem to have a very clear idea of how tutorials work. Or at least that's the impression I got from the teaching seminars that I attended.:dontknow:

I know you weren't suggesting it, I meant what Cragghy said really, but I think she was unlucky to get a really weird PhD student. In any case, of course external students don't know exactly how the tutorials work but they have to learn somehow as a big part of the teaching experience that PhD students do at Oxbridge is tutorials. Anyway, it doesn't matter, just saying :tongue:
I know you weren't suggesting it, I meant what Cragghy said really, but I think she was unlucky to get a really weird PhD student. In any case, of course external students don't know exactly how the tutorials work but they have to learn somehow as a big part of the teaching experience that PhD students do at Oxbridge is tutorials. Anyway, it doesn't matter, just saying :tongue:

I'm just against undergraduates being the guinea pigs :p: I think the PhDs should be taught properly before being unleashed on students! In my faculty at UEA you need to have attended four 3 hour classes on 'How to Teach' as well as having completed your 'transferring up' to PhD status before you're allowed to teach undergraduates. Oxford and Cambridge should do the same, but I would understand them making exceptions for people who had been in that department since their own undergraduate studies and were therefore very familiar with the system.
I'm just against undergraduates being the guinea pigs :p: I think the PhDs should be taught properly before being unleashed on students! In my faculty at UEA you need to have attended four 3 hour classes on 'How to Teach' as well as having completed your 'transferring up' to PhD status before you're allowed to teach undergraduates. Oxford and Cambridge should do the same, but I would understand them making exceptions for people who had been in that department since their own undergraduate studies and were therefore very familiar with the system.

my faculty at Oxford does teach its students and everyone has to go through this if they want to teach. I totally agree with you however that teaching is necessary before you are thrown into teaching undergrads.
I think Cambs (Classics) allows you to teach from year one if you sign up to the training list early enough or something too btw.
my faculty at Oxford does teach its students and everyone has to go through this if they want to teach. I totally agree with you however that teaching is necessary before you are thrown into teaching undergrads.

Glad to hear it :smile:
Reply 3932

It's the same here, but I'd say the reality is still that you mostly learn through the actual teaching.
Edit: The useless PhD student who taught you had almost certainly been to 'How to Teach' classes as well - that's probably why he thought he had make it *extremely* clear what he was expecting you to do, and to be 'firm' at all costs!
(edited 11 years ago)
Got to finish this chapter for the transfer by Friday, but I've got a conference in York from Weds - Friday :sigh:
Going to take a short break from TSR...
Got to finish this chapter for the transfer by Friday, but I've got a conference in York from Weds - Friday :sigh:
Going to take a short break from TSR...

:eek:

Good luck with it all :hugs:
Reply 3935
Don't you love it when you email an academic you don't know and they send a very very helpful reply? :biggrin:
Original post by apotoftea
Don't you love it when you email an academic you don't know and they send a very very helpful reply? :biggrin:

Yes yes YES! :biggrin:

PRSOM :mad:
Original post by apotoftea

Yes. It balances out the people I know well, who I email and get **** all back from. :tongue:
Reply 3938
Haha! I did have one less than useful reply too from someone else *mutters*

What with that, my printer won't work and a distinct lack of journal articles I may take myself off to the garden...
Argh, went boating on the Thames on Sat (which was amazing! :captain:) but forgot to apply suncream to an area just below my neck. It is only a small area but it is ridiculously painfully burnt (to the extent of blistering - really unpleasant) and I am extremely annoyed with myself. :facepalm:

Latest

Trending

Trending