The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evantej
I would send them an email on Tuesday saying that because you have not heard back from them by the agreed deadline that you assume your submission was not suitable for them and will therefore submit it to another journal later that week.

It is polite, succinct and puts the ball in their court. You have waited five months and you are worried about coming across pushy! :tongue:

Ah, sorry, managed to neg you instead of pos rep. Stupid fat fingers. This is good advice, I think.
Reply 4041
Original post by flying plum
Ah, sorry, managed to neg you instead of pos rep. Stupid fat fingers.

I think we've offset that for you now :tongue:

Done that a couple of times. Also glad they changed the "stop watching this thread" button to check first on the home page, as I did that a few times when trying to get to first unread posts.
*is mean and sarcastic and now feels a bit guilty*

Why?
Original post by hobnob
Well, to be honest, I'm busy with my conclusion at the moment, so it's not as though I have the time to spare to rewrite the article and resubmit it before I've sorted that out... Plus I'd like to at least have the reports, and if I storm out in a huff I'll probably never get to see those.
I'm basically just annoyed because they've kept me waiting for such a long time now, and I think they owe me a reply of some kind, even if it's 'erm... no'.

Journals do have a tough time. Referees do the job voluntarily and therefore often, when contacted and asked to review, decline. I haven't reviewed a paper in about three years, not because I don't want to help out, but I just have lots of other higher priority things going on.If there are only a few relevant reviewers, it can be hard to get enough credible reports. Referees also say they'll review, then often don't produce the goods. So I have quite a lot of sympathy with editors, if not with publishers, who somehow seem to be making hefty profits. My last paper took 4 months through first review, then another three for review of the revision, even though the journal gives referees a four week turnaround.

If you pull the submission now, there is always the risk that you'll go down the big snake and start again at the very beginning with a new journal. It is frustrating but, personally, I'd chill out and get on with something else. The journal will respond when it's able to.
Original post by Becca
Why?

Couldn't resist the impulse to be snarky in another thread...
Reply 4045

:rofl: ...it could be worse. Imagine being in this guy's class and having to spend the next year with him...

Edit: I began answering that post earlier then dropped it, you did it superbly. I didn't get PRSOM on yours to my surprise, and I see a few others appreciated it too.
(edited 11 years ago)

I see :biggrin:
I only read GOGsoc in this forum :cool:
I usually mod this forum, but I'm on leave until this wretched chapter goes in :work:
Original post by Craghyrax
I usually mod this forum, but I'm on leave until this wretched chapter goes in :work:

He doesn't really need moderating. Just a decent reality check. And I really must remember that anyone can read ths forum!
He doesn't really need moderating. Just a decent reality check. And I really must remember that anyone can read ths forum!

Well, moderation also includes generation of good content in particular forums. So I'm meant to counterbalance any unhelpful/incorrect views through posting alternatives, as well as enforcing the rules :biggrin:
Reply 4050
Original post by Cora Lindsay
Journals do have a tough time. Referees do the job voluntarily and therefore often, when contacted and asked to review, decline. I haven't reviewed a paper in about three years, not because I don't want to help out, but I just have lots of other higher priority things going on.If there are only a few relevant reviewers, it can be hard to get enough credible reports. Referees also say they'll review, then often don't produce the goods. So I have quite a lot of sympathy with editors, if not with publishers, who somehow seem to be making hefty profits. My last paper took 4 months through first review, then another three for review of the revision, even though the journal gives referees a four week turnaround.

If you pull the submission now, there is always the risk that you'll go down the big snake and start again at the very beginning with a new journal. It is frustrating but, personally, I'd chill out and get on with something else. The journal will respond when it's able to.

Yes, that was more or less my reasoning as well. Plus even though I'm not 100% certain whether I'd want to send them anything else after this, the journal is definitely my first choice for this particular article, so I think I'd kind of shoot myself in the foot by pulling out.:erm:
I suppose the reason why I'm getting so impatient is that I feel that I have no way of gauging whether my article even stands a realistic chance with that journal. So for all I know, all this waiting (and regardless of what it may seem like now, I've actually waited patiently for over four months and never even asked to be given an exact deadline) might just be a colossal waste of time, whereas if it had been a relatively quick no, at least I'd have had a chance to try again elsewhere. Obviously I sympathise with the editors for having to do al their editing during their spare time etc, but they're not really the ones who have anything to lose here.
Original post by hobnob
So for all I know, all this waiting (and regardless of what it may seem like now, I've actually waited patiently for over four months and never even asked to be given an exact deadline) might just be a colossal waste of time, whereas if it had been a relatively quick no, at least I'd have had a chance to try again elsewhere. Obviously I sympathise with the editors for having to do al their editing during their spare time etc, but they're not really the ones who have anything to lose here.

Its not a waste of time, because you couldn't have done anything other than what you did. It obviously would have been a waste not to submit your article to this particular journal just in case. But submitting it necessarily required a long wait.
Reply 4052
Original post by hobnob
Only in the UK, though, and the editors for that journal are all based in various parts of the US.

Oh right - ummm pass? :smile: I don't see why you can't ask again. They've given you a date and not met that date...
Reply 4053
Is it true that cats run away to die? Our sick cat has been AWOL all afternoon and we can't find him after 2 extensive searches of the house and garden. I've gone from worried sick to panic :cry2:
:console: Good luck.
Original post by sj27
Is it true that cats run away to die? Our sick cat has been AWOL all afternoon and we can't find him after 2 extensive searches of the house and garden. I've gone from worried sick to panic :cry2:

:jumphug:
Reply 4056
Original post by sj27

No. Not all cats, anyway.
Ah, sorry, managed to neg you instead of pos rep. Stupid fat fingers. This is good advice, I think.

I did wonder! :tongue:
Just emailed in the chapter. Thank God!
:goodnight:
Reply 4059
Original post by Craghyrax
Just emailed in the chapter. Thank God!
:goodnight:

:woo:
Well done.

Latest

Trending

Trending