The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4120
Original post by hobnob
:p:
I'll try and restrict myself to making no more than one joke per month in the future.:wink:

Just slightly less better ones?
Reply 4121
Original post by Hylean
People actually use LinkedIn?

In my subject, the only social networking tool I use and have heard of being used (even by the older guys and gals) is facebook. I think the feeling is that if people don't have a personal social networking profile somewhere, they are unlikely to have a 'professional' one. A lot of academics are so involved in their work that they don't see a big seperation between their professional and personal persona anyway.

I added a couple of folks that I met at conferences to facebook - more so because I got on with them and thought it was worth keeping in touch in case I ever go to X University to give a talk etc. it would be good to know someone to go for a beer with than for professional reasons.

If I met someone of interest that I literally wanted to discuss work with - I would much rather swap email details since that would be more pragmatic. Everyone has websites now (or can be found on the people list on their departmental website) so once you know someone's name you have need to add them on LinkedIn or whatever. I really think that tool is for people who aren't in such a closed shop as the academic game.

A lot of the older guys are still on mailing lists and members of various newsgroups (as in NNTP).
Reply 4122
Original post by Jake22
In my subject, the only social networking tool I use and have heard of being used (even by the older guys and gals) is facebook. I think the feeling is that if people don't have a personal social networking profile somewhere, they are unlikely to have a 'professional' one. A lot of academics are so involved in their work that they don't see a big seperation between their professional and personal persona anyway.

I added a couple of folks that I met at conferences to facebook - more so because I got on with them and thought it was worth keeping in touch in case I ever go to X University to give a talk etc. it would be good to know someone to go for a beer with than for professional reasons.

If I met someone of interest that I literally wanted to discuss work with - I would much rather swap email details since that would be more pragmatic. Everyone has websites now (or can be found on the people list on their departmental website) so once you know someone's name you have need to add them on LinkedIn or whatever. I really think that tool is for people who aren't in such a closed shop as the academic game.

I think this may be true (that said, I do have a sprinkling of academics on LinkedIn, most of whom invited me first, but these are mainly academics who tend to get involved in the industry I'm in). One thing I do like about it is it gives me an 'out' for people I don't want to offend but don't want to be Facebook friends with, as I try to keep that to " proper" friends and family. Like I said I do find it useful for networking, you can keep easier track of when people move jobs, etc. I view Facebook as my social network and LinkedIn as my professional network, if that makes sense.
Original post by sj27
I view Facebook as my social network and LinkedIn as my professional network, if that makes sense.

This. I'm certainly much more comfortable having random people on LinkedIn.
Original post by sj27
Still enjoying the blog. Assuming ok if I send URL to some people I know?
thanks for the thoughts. I think we've accepted that we are unlikely to find him alive now, but we'd still like to find him.

Sure! And I'm sorry about teh kitty :frown:
What about using academia.edu?
I wouldn't so much say I 'use' academia.edu. I just put a whole lot of stuff on it and left it to rot :p: Although it has come in handy once or twice... I've found articles I didn't have access to on there. And I assume Universities looked at my profile when I made my PhD application.
It freaks me out whenever people find me on academia.edu by googling my name. It emails you their search terms and the country they're in. I get ever so paranoid :p:
Original post by Feefifofum
It freaks me out whenever people find me on academia.edu by googling my name. It emails you their search terms and the country they're in. I get ever so paranoid :p:

Yeh, its quite weird. But I like having some kind of public profile for academic/employment reasons. Particularly since UEA only seem to update their website once ever 5 years :sigh:
Reply 4129
Original post by Feefifofum

My lecturer was a result for a search from the Middle East for something like incest and the plague.
Speaking of plagues, this article makes me feel like we've been sent back to the Middle Ages :rolleyes:
Reply 4131
Original post by Hylean
My lecturer was a result for a search from the Middle East for something like incest and the plague.

:rofl:

:woo: :woo: cat is home! Wet, coughing, sick and hungry but alive! Wonder where on earth he was ... :mystery: and thanks to you guys for support and you were right, we should not have given up faith!
Original post by sj27

:woo: :woo: cat is home! Wet, coughing, sick and hungry but alive! Wonder where on earth he was ... :mystery: and thanks to you guys for support and you were right, we should not have given up faith!

YAY! This is fantastic news! Really happy for you! And it let me rep you too! :woo: :awesome: :banana: :jumphug: :banana: :awesome: :woo:
Reply 4133
Original post by sj27

great news! glad that he came back to you all. :smile:
Original post by sj27

So glad to hear it! :biggrin:
Original post by sj27

GREAT!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!!!
Does anyone have access to this, by any chance? http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/09502389100490311
Original post by sj27

YAY!!

Quick question - when doing a presentation at a university job interview, do you use the powerplate template of the university you're coming from, the university you hope to go to, or neither?
I would either use that of the Uni I was at, or none. I think I'd prefer none because a job application is your personal thing rather than something connected to your existing institution at all. The backdrop of the one you hope to go to would just look cocky.
Reply 4139
Original post by sj27

YAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! That's good news. :hugs:

Latest

Trending

Trending