The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Craghyrax
:eek:
How badly were you hurt?

Undisplaced cheek fracture. I was learning to ride the thing, and he was too wild for me, something we had mentioned when given him at the start. Saddle slipped as girth wasn't tight enough whilst he was galloping around the barn out of my control, I fell off and he bucked just after passing over me and caught my cheek.
Reply 421
Craghyrax
x

The Lyceum
x

Have either of you played Power Grid? Or Puerto Rico? Great for if you love Catan but would like a little more complexity ... Don't play Die Macher though. Just don't.
Original post by Hylean
Undisplaced cheek fracture. I was learning to ride the thing, and he was too wild for me, something we had mentioned when given him at the start. Saddle slipped as girth wasn't tight enough whilst he was galloping around the barn out of my control, I fell off and he bucked just after passing over me and caught my cheek.

:zomg:

Original post by cinosia
Have either of you played Power Grid? Or Puerto Rico? Great for if you love Catan but would like a little more complexity ... Don't play Die Macher though. Just don't.
:no:
Reply 423
Anyone here play any of these: M:TG, V:TES or Twilight Imperium?
Original post by Hylean

Ouch, you were lucky it wasn't more serious. I can understand how that happening in childhood could put you off somewhat!

A similar thing happened to me, without the kicking bit: the horse I was on went wild and bucked and then bolted. I was flung from the saddle but landed on his neck, so then had to cling on while he galloped into the wild blue yonder. I eventually got him to stop by yanking on the left rein near the bit until he was running in ever tighter circles. Then I got off and cried, miles away from anywhere. It was dramatic stuff!
Original post by cinosia

Parents took PC from us since out of the 5 times we played it, three ended up in fist fights. Great game. :biggrin:
Reply 426
Original post by Hylean
Anyone here play any of these: M:TG, V:TES or Twilight Imperium?

Nothing to do with sparkly vampires, I assume?:erm:
Reply 427
Original post by hobnob
Nothing to do with sparkly vampires, I assume?:erm:

Gods, no. It's more of a Risk clone, but more involved, or so I'm told.

Twilight Imperium. According to my mates, it's only playable really with all the expansions, but then it's bloody good.

I've always preferred TCGs, personally, and absolutely adore V:TES.
Reply 428
Original post by Hylean
Gods, no. It's more of a Risk clone, but more involved, or so I'm told.

Twilight Imperium. According to my mates, it's only playable really with all the expansions, but then it's bloody good.

I've always preferred TCGs, personally, and absolutely adore V:TES.

'Most games take four to six hours to complete, although games with six players or those new to the game can take longer.'
Sounds pretty hardcore...:lolwut:
Reply 429
Original post by Hylean

Eek....scary stuff.

Original post by the_alba
Ouch, you were lucky it wasn't more serious. I can understand how that happening in childhood could put you off somewhat!

A similar thing happened to me, without the kicking bit: the horse I was on went wild and bucked and then bolted. I was flung from the saddle but landed on his neck, so then had to cling on while he galloped into the wild blue yonder. I eventually got him to stop by yanking on the left rein near the bit until he was running in ever tighter circles. Then I got off and cried, miles away from anywhere. It was dramatic stuff!

Well done for getting him under control without falling off though, but sheesh... that must have been scary.

I've been bucked once, by a bad-tempered ex-racehorse, but that's about my worst experience.
I'd been waiting since the early autumn for Oxford to put up info about how I could be considered to be put forward for a Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship. Aware that the final Levehulme deadline is in March, I emailed them about it today. Their response: the deadline has passed, we are no longer considering applications. This information was unavailable to anyone not already at Oxford, it seems. This is the story of my life at the moment: frozen out of opportunities thanks to Oxbridge's policy of only telling their own students about jobs, grants, and deadlines. It ****ing stinks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 431
x

:frown:

Forgive my rants. It's just that I've had this problem with Oxford so many times. This was something I was actively poised to apply for as soon as the deadline was announced... but they never announced it, except to themselves. It is depressing.
I'd been waiting since the early autumn for Oxford to put up info about how I could be considered to be put forward for a Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship. Aware that the final Levehulme deadline is in March, I emailed them about it today. Their response: the deadline has passed, we are no longer considering applications. This information was unavailable to anyone not already at Oxford, it seems. This is the story of my life at the moment: frozen out of opportunities thanks to Oxbridge's policy of only telling their own students about jobs, grants, and deadlines. It ****ing stinks.

Sorry to hear that. :hugs:

On a happier note, for any scientists out there, this is amazing. Write your equation freehand in the box and it creates the LaTeX/MathML code for you :biggrin:

EDIT: this : webdemo.visionobjects.com/equation.html?locale=default
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by scarlet ibis
Sorry to hear that. :hugs:

On a happier note, for any scientists out there, this is amazing. Write your equation freehand in the box and it creates the LaTeX/MathML code for you :biggrin:

What box?
Forgive my rants. It's just that I've had this problem with Oxford so many times. This was something I was actively poised to apply for as soon as the deadline was announced... but they never announced it, except to themselves. It is depressing.

Are they allowed to do that? I thought all vacancies had to be advertised on jobs.ac.uk so that, even if they have no intention of recruiting from outside their own university, they can at least avoid accusations of not allowing a fair competition etc...
Original post by Feefifofum
Are they allowed to do that? I thought all vacancies had to be advertised on jobs.ac.uk so that, even if they have no intention of recruiting from outside their own university, they can at least avoid accusations of not allowing a fair competition etc...

This isn't technically a job, so yes, I presume they are allowed (I have emailed them to ask). I guess post-docs aren't technically jobs either, as they frequently squirrel those ads away on college websites, bypassing jobs.ac.uk. Oh well!
Original post by Craghyrax
What box?

oops, edited the original post :smile:

http://www.humanities.ox.ac.uk/research/applying_from_outside_oxford/leverhulme_early_career_fellowships/leverhulme_ecf_application_process

So the information found in their website is false?? :eek:

That's the page I was looking at too. I can't see any mention of an internal deadline (other than the late Feb one). Yet they told me I've missed it. Am I being dim / reading it wrong? They mention deadlines for Leverhulme itself, but before you can apply to that you have to have been accepted by Oxford, and they don't mention any deadlines in that regard. That is the one I've been waiting for, and the one they seem to have kept secret, and the one I have now missed.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending