The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hobnob

And the most annoying thing is that this bloody kettle was only about three years old! Gah!:motz:

:eyeball: Three years is a good age for a kettle. Mine often die after a year.
Reply 81
Original post by Craghyrax
:eyeball: Three years is a good age for a kettle. Mine often die after a year.

Seriously?:s-smilie: All the ones I've had before this one lasted at least five years.
Do you guys think there is a way to successfully combine Scotch and tea? Also I only have port...is there an alchemical formula for turning that into a decent Scotch for less than £30? :tongue:
Reply 83
Original post by The Lyceum
Do you guys think there is a way to successfully combine Scotch and tea?
Probably not, but if there is, it would presumably be called 'totching'.:dontknow:
Original post by hobnob
Seriously?:s-smilie: All the ones I've had before this one lasted at least five years.

Yup. I don't buy expensive kettles though.
Reply 85
Yup. I don't buy expensive kettles though.

Fair enough.
If you have a gas hob, boiling in a hob top kettle is as quick and more energy efficient. A decent, inexpensive hob kettle will last for years!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Just spent 40 minutes scanning The Cat in the Hat :sigh:
Reply 88
Cheers guys. Meeting with super this morning went much better than expected. Feel we're back on the same page, and I'm feeling much happier. :h:
Reply 89
Original post by scarlet ibis
If you have a gas hob, boiling in a hob top kettle is as quick and more energy efficient. A decent, inexpensive hob kettle will last for years!

But I live in student accommodation, and our kitchen is tiny, so I wouldn't be able to leave the kettle there.:frown: So it would mean carrying my teapot and my kettle to the kitchen every time I want to make tea.
Reply 90
Original post by Cirsium
Cheers guys. Meeting with super this morning went much better than expected. Feel we're back on the same page, and I'm feeling much happier. :h:

Yay!
Went to a session on how to publish which was so depressing :erm:
Reply 92

Why?
Reply 93

Why?
Original post by Becca
Why?

Made it seem very hard, and also made it seem like there was a lot of politics involved, and a lot of hard work needed to choose the right journal. Seemed like networking was really necessary, and being familiar with the stuff particular journals had published. I don't have time to just randomly comb journals!
Also 'new' or cutting edge stuff is more popular, when my whole thesis will involve trying to disagree with the consensus on a very old/prominent theorist. The area (internet studies) is cutting edge, but that's it.
Reply 96

Made it seem very hard, and also made it seem like there was a lot of politics involved, and a lot of hard work needed to choose the right journal. Seemed like networking was really necessary, and being familiar with the stuff particular journals had published. I don't have time to just randomly comb journals!

Hmm that's not really surprising, but I can see how it's depressing.

I'm worried I have a throat infection brewing. As long as it stays away until 4pm tomorrow I'll be happy :shakecane: (love that smiley)
Reply 97

I was told that as well last year, and I found it exqually depressing.:frown:
There must be some that publish more internet-related research than others, though, so that could be a starting-point. Also, one way of saving yourself the combing might be just to ask your supervisors for suggestions once you've got something ready.
Original post by hobnob
But I live in student accommodation, and our kitchen is tiny, so I wouldn't be able to leave the kettle there.:frown: So it would mean carrying my teapot and my kettle to the kitchen every time I want to make tea.

Ah, not ideal then. At least kettles are quite cheap.

--

In other news I've had it with people who never check their emails then complain that you've not kept them up to date with goings on. I get that not everyone has constant internet access, but if you are on a committee, then surely you should check maybe once a week at minimum?? I do not have time to call/text everyone about each new development! :angry:
Reply 99
I have spent the afternoon cheerfully rehashing my poster ready for a couple of bits in March. Feeling quite happy about it. Forgot about all the cool stuff I figured out in the summer that, even though I had the data in March therefore isn't on my old poster. And the pretty diagrams :love:

Latest