The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the_alba
Yay, so excited. Today we had someone from an animal charity round to approve our house so that we could become official foster carers for them. We passed and we're getting our first foster kitteh on Wedesday morning. She is called Jess and is quite young and has had a bad start in life, but apparently is very loving and funny. I can't wait :awesome:

Yay!

Fostering kittens is something I'd love to do. I read the blog of a lady who does, and it sounds wonderful! Alas, I highly doubt they would let us on a boat :frown:. Once we have a bigger boat I might think about getting another cat though.

I also want to adopt one day but I expect the boat would be a problem.
Original post by sj27
:love::love:

Hope the integration goes well!

We had a nightmare when we got our two younger kittens, but one of the older ones is a very territorial ginger so it was probably always going to be an issue. The other older one....well, she's strange. She absolutely loves people, and hates other cats. :dontknow:. But they're alright now, if not exactly best friends.

Thanks. There will always be frosty relationships between some cats, but unless there is all-out warfare I think it's manageable. We did have a Persian called Mitzy who had a real attitude problem and would terrorise our other cat Percy. It didn't improve so in the end we sent her to live with D's parents in Ireland. That was entirely her fault though - unless Jessie is a total bitch to our cats, I'm sure they will be okay with her. At least, I hope so.

Original post by scarlet ibis
Yay!

Fostering kittens is something I'd love to do. I read the blog of a lady who does, and it sounds wonderful! Alas, I highly doubt they would let us on a boat :frown:. Once we have a bigger boat I might think about getting another cat though.

I also want to adopt one day but I expect the boat would be a problem.

Name of blog? I'd like to read it. I'm sure you would be able to adopt cats on a boat - especially given that you already have one. Much better than buying them!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sj27
Seriously??

Yeah, my sister was petting her and she ripped her hand open. Needed disinfectant and stitches. The cat was just rolling around afterwards be like "pet me, pet me". She really is the cutest little thing. Craziest eyes I've ever seen on a cat.

Name of blog? I'd like to read it. I'm sure you would be able to adopt cats on a boat - especially given that you already have one. Much better than buying them!

http://www.theittybittykittycommittee.com/. She doesn't currently have any foster kittens but that's an anomaly because she's been away. Normally she has a brood of kitties. She also has a cat who lives there permanently and is so good with the ever changes batches of kittens.

Oh, and I should have been clearer. I mean adopt a child, our cat is already from the Blue Cross!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by scarlet ibis
Oh, and I should have been clearer. I mean adopt a child, our cat is already from the Blue Cross!

Oh right :laugh: I did wonder. Would they really prohibit you just because you're boaties? Seems very unfair - most children would *love* to live on a boat!
Oh right :laugh: I did wonder. Would they really prohibit you just because you're boaties? Seems very unfair - most children would *love* to live on a boat!
Not entirely sure, but I know someone who fosters kids and doesn't even live afloat but owns a boat that they take the kids out on sometimes, and they have to fill in all kinds of complicated forms if the want to take the kids boating. If the authorities make it difficult to take foster kids on a boat trip, I imagine its even more difficult if you live afloat. When the time comes (i.e once I've proved to myself that it's possible to bring up my own kids on a boat) then I'll look into it in more detail.

Edit: They would probably get us on this rule: "Agency staff will not consider a family if they cannot provide the physical space the child needs. For example, if you live in a 2 bedroom property and you already have a daughter of 10 you would not be considered for the adoption of a 7 year old boy until your accommodation changes. For those living in council properties you will probably find that you will not be re-housed on the basis of your intention to adopt in the future."
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1046
Original post by The Lyceum
Yeah, my sister was petting her and she ripped her hand open. Needed disinfectant and stitches. The cat was just rolling around afterwards be like "pet me, pet me". [. . .] Craziest eyes I've ever seen on a cat.

This sort of thing is why I prefer tortoises.

Well, that and the sense of temporal dislocation caused by sharing a tomato with something which probably hatched before your grandparents were born. For a medievalist this sort of experience is useful training.
Its really unfortunate how restrictive adoption red tape is :sad: And its so much worse for people to just stay in care.
Reply 1048
ARGHHHHHHHHH so much to do by about 8 this evening. Gah.
Original post by QHF
This sort of thing is why I prefer tortoises.

Well, that and the sense of temporal dislocation caused by sharing a tomato with something which probably hatched before your grandparents were born. For a medievalist this sort of experience is useful training.

I love the randomness of cats, I love that you can often discern them thinking something through. It can be fascinating sometimes the way they react to stuff. Or how each of mine will react differently to the same situation.

I like big stupid ones personally. My ones are crazy smart and hard to handle. Also you just can't cuddle a tortoise.
Reply 1050
I love the randomness of cats, I love that you can often discern them thinking something through. It can be fascinating sometimes the way they react to stuff. Or how each of mine will react differently to the same situation.

I like big stupid ones personally. My ones are crazy smart and hard to handle. Also you just can't cuddle a tortoise.

Also, tortoises don't purr.
Original post by sj27
Also, tortoises don't purr.

Exactly! Tbf this cat doesn't so much purr as make a sort of.."charging my batteries: preparing to smash stuff up" sound. I love her even though she hates me lol.
Reply 1052
Exactly! Tbf this cat doesn't so much purr as make a sort of.."charging my batteries: preparing to smash stuff up" sound. I love her even though she hates me lol.

My cat-that-loves-humans will come and sit next to you and start purring in anticipation of being petted. And if you take too long, she reaches out and grabs your hand. Also grabs your leg if you dare to walk past without acknowledging her! :h:
Original post by Athena
Bioinformatics is so... boring in its processes. I'm sitting here waiting for some files to convert to a smaller format, whereupon I need to merge them. This could take hours. What do I do in the mean time?!

Your other work? Read journal articles? :s-smilie: If you really don't have other work that can be done while waiting, I'd see that as an amazing luxury and get on with some fun reading, guilt-free.
Reply 1054
Original post by Craghyrax
Your other work? Read journal articles? :s-smilie: If you really don't have other work that can be done while waiting, I'd see that as an amazing luxury and get on with some fun reading, guilt-free.

Ah, you beat me to it. I was just about to post this:
I have the problem with the model I'm working on where it takes about 10 mins to run in Excel, and I have to run it LOTS of times with different input parameters. But while it's working, Word can't run. So I need two computers at my disposal if I'm to do anything other than just read stuff while it's happening.
Original post by Athena
Pubmed is down (I can't pull any new articles from today) so I'm reading about microfinance in Science. But I would really actually like to go home/go swimming etc, but it'll be sod's law that it'll complete just after I go... and then I'll have lots more waiting Monday morning, rather than things running all weekend (when I don't care how long they take!). If I had any idea of the time it was likely to continue to run, i could do something productive...

Perhaps just carry a good read with you for emergencies like this in the future? This sort of thing is less likely to affect me because I usually have books and printed out journals around!
hobnob
x
Trust you :lol:
And, on a similar note...

compiling.png
Reply 1058
Sent my work in. A 5 year old could do better I feel. Oh well, meeting on monday...
I know the feeling. I need to work more efficiently. I took two hours off today to go to a seminar on Roman Religion. I probably shouldn't have but I need to do something...properly intelligent rather than archaeology bull****.

Latest

Trending

Trending