The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
The X5! :afraid:

It always feels as though two out of those three hours on the X5 are spent meandering through Milton Keynes / waiting for the new driver in Bedford while you're freezing to death because the first driver just left the bloody door open.:mad:
Original post by hobnob
It always feels as though two out of those three hours on the X5 are spent meandering through Milton Keynes / waiting for the new driver in Bedford while you're freezing to death because the first driver just left the bloody door open.:mad:

Thankfully I've only been on the X5 once and only as far as Milton Keynes. (Getting from Milton Keynes station to the Open University is a bloody nightmare :mad: ) That was bad enough. I had been warned about the roundabouts but thought the guy who told me had been exaggerating. Then got on the stupid route and was like "ah. I see" :s-smilie:

I went to the OU for a seminar, which my dissertation supervisor happened to be at. The look on his face when I said I'd come on the X5 was hilarious. He kept apologising for not knowing I was coming and giving me a lift and insisted on driving me back to Oxford :love:
Reply 1142
Original post by hobnob

I did once drive from Cambridge to Oxford via Milton Keynes in a bit over an hour and a half. Sometimes I was even under the speed limit :innocent:
Original post by Drogue
I did once drive from Cambridge to Oxford via Milton Keynes in a bit over an hour and a half. Sometimes I was even under the speed limit :innocent:

Is there a route without so many roundabouts? I counted 36, at least!
Reply 1144
Original post by Craghyrax
Is there a route without so many roundabouts? I counted 36, at least!

Yes-ish. If you don't need to go to the stations, you can avoid Bicester, use the Bedford and Buckingham ring roads and skip some of the roundabouts in Milton Keynes. Still quite a lot, but nearer 15 than 36 I think.
Yeah..erm...taking the train I think. I have no patience for awkward road journeys and will use the chance to work on my thesis.
Reply 1146
Original post by The Lyceum
Yeah..erm...taking the train I think. I have no patience for awkward road journeys and will use the chance to work on my thesis.

Don't do that.:s-smilie: Taking the train is more awkward. It will take just as long because you need to make 2-3 changes between Oxford and Cambridge. Plus it'll be about ten times more expensive.
Original post by hobnob
Don't do that.:s-smilie: Taking the train is more awkward. It will take just as long because you need to make 2-3 changes between Oxford and Cambridge. Plus it'll be about ten times more expensive.

You're kidding? the mighty train beaten by the bus? Great. :tongue: Maybe I'll tell them to sod off since I have more chance of being made the All Souls Fellow of Sexiness than winning it anyway...

Bah will book.
Original post by hobnob

Don't you just get a train from Oxford to Paddington and then hop across to some other Central London station and take a train to Cambridge? Not too difficult, unless you were thinking of a different route? Plus booking in advance with a Young Person's railcard and the price should be OK. My college daughter used to do that and travel quite cheaply and reasonably easily :yes:
Reply 1149
Don't you just get a train from Oxford to Paddington and then hop across to some other Central London station and take a train to Cambridge? Not too difficult, unless you were thinking of a different route?

I just typed it into the National Rail search tool and it came up with changes in Reading etc. Overall travel time just under three hours, so not much better than the X5, but more hassle.
Plus booking in advance with a Young Person's railcard and the price should be OK. My college daughter used to do that and travel quite cheaply and reasonably easily :yes:

Still no way it can beat the X5 in terms of price, though. And he probably can't book very far in advance because the interview will presumably be quite soon.
On the oxford cambridge journey, I was wondering whether unless you had some need to go through mk, that it would be faster to take the m40 down to m25 and then the orbital across to a1m and through to cambridge, and then thats what google maps came up with to! Far less roundabouts as well and probably quicker. But that's all academic as the x5 will continue to take the same route and the same three hours.
Don't you just get a train from Oxford to Paddington and then hop across to some other Central London station and take a train to Cambridge? Not too difficult, unless you were thinking of a different route? Plus booking in advance with a Young Person's railcard and the price should be OK. My college daughter used to do that and travel quite cheaply and reasonably easily :yes:

It's not too tricky - Oxford - Paddington - King's Cross (via Hammersmith+City/Circle Line) - Cambridge, but it is a bit of a hassle. And AFAIK you can't get cheap advance tickets on the London-Cambridge bit of the line, so it's pretty pricey.

Socrates
On the oxford cambridge journey, I was wondering whether unless you had some need to go through mk, that it would be faster to take the m40 down to m25 and then the orbital across to a1m and through to cambridge, and then thats what google maps came up with to! Far less roundabouts as well and probably quicker. But that's all academic as the x5 will continue to take the same route and the same three hours.

Don't trust googlemaps, and really don't go up the A1M - if you must go that way, use the M11. But there's been a massive long stretch of 50mph limit along the top of the M25 for ages, so it's still a bad move. My personal preferred route was A14 - A45 - A43 - M40 (tiny bit) - A34, which is longer than going via MK/Bedford, but more on dual carriageway and a bit more scenic. Can still be done in about 2 hours mostly legally.
I genuinely had no idea it was so difficult / indirect / time-consuming to get between the two. Then again I probably shouldn't be surprised, since my experience of public transport generally shows that going north - south is easy, but east - west is usually virtually impossible.
Original post by Athena

There used to be a direct line (the Varsity line) but it was scrapped in the Beeching reviews of the 60s. They keep muttering about bringing it back, but I doubt it'll happen before I'm of an age to have grandchildren at Oxbridge...

I remember reading about that in Private Eye yonks ago. I didn't realise the X5 was so bad too, it sounds like a chunder bus. One thing I really miss about my undergrad university was the train station on campus - that was so much handier than the public transport at current university. Transport is just such a pain all round.
gah, have just had landlady round, and they are thinking of selling the house (guessed as much, as they've had two valuations done in the past few weeks). They want to extend their own house and can't find another way of finding the capital. Now i don't know what to do - they won't sell it for less than the highest valuation, and they don't think they'll get that, and they'd quite like us to stay so the house isn't empty. It might not even sell, and i could stay here. alternatively, i could just find somewhere else, but it would be a pain to move if i didn't have to, and i like this place. what a pain in the arse....

I think I'm cursed - landlords keep trying to sell the houses i live in....
Original post by IlexAquifolium
I remember reading about that in Private Eye yonks ago. I didn't realise the X5 was so bad too, it sounds like a chunder bus. One thing I really miss about my undergrad university was the train station on campus - that was so much handier than the public transport at current university. Transport is just such a pain all round.

It probably wouldn't be so bad if it just went direct Oxford-Cambridge, but I don't think it would make enough money, so they have to have the intermediate stops. I've never actually vomited on it as I don't get travel sick, but it's still pretty unpleasant. Last time I got it was at 7am after Magdalen Ball, when I shared it with 4 rah boys who had clearly just been to their first ever ball and spent the entire journey talking about what "banter" it had been, while I prayed for sleep and thought about ways to kill them.
You guys make it sound as though its an unpleasant journey for everyone. That simply isn't true. While it is slow and annoying, the buses are very new and reasonably comfortable. And I know very many people who have travelled on it without noticing any problems or discomfort at all. Its only if you get travel sickness that its a problem. Otherwise its a really good deal. I get mildly travel sick in cars, and there was one X5 journey where I suffered because the driver was being more manic and speedy than usual around the roundabouts. But every other one (must have travelled 10-15 times) was ok.
Also the temperature issue probably bothers hobnob more than most. It has a heater in winter and air conditioning in summer, in a fairly binary manner. So bring layers.

Original post by The Lyceum
You're kidding? the mighty train beaten by the bus? Great. :tongue: Maybe I'll tell them to sod off since I have more chance of being made the All Souls Fellow of Sexiness than winning it anyway...

Bah will book.

Yeh, if you have a Young Person's Railcard, the Cambridge- Oxford train route is £30ish. Whereas its £2.50 on the X5. Plus the X5 is direct, so you can do more work on it (I read four journal articles on the X5 on my way to an Oxford interview last year) whereas with the train you keep changing. Also the train is 2hrs 30mins, so you don't really save much time.

See above.
Original post by IlexAquifolium

Ooh which Uni was that?
Original post by flying plum
gah, have just had landlady round, and they are thinking of selling the house (guessed as much, as they've had two valuations done in the past few weeks). They want to extend their own house and can't find another way of finding the capital. Now i don't know what to do - they won't sell it for less than the highest valuation, and they don't think they'll get that, and they'd quite like us to stay so the house isn't empty. It might not even sell, and i could stay here. alternatively, i could just find somewhere else, but it would be a pain to move if i didn't have to, and i like this place. what a pain in the arse....

I think I'm cursed - landlords keep trying to sell the houses i live in....

I feel your pain :frown: I'm in much the same boat.
Original post by Athena
And I have, in fact, chundered on it - didn't even make it to Milton Keynes from Oxford. A kind Goth going to his driving test in MK gave me a bottle of cherry coke because I didn't have any water with me. I really, really hope he passed so he never had to get that bus again!

Aw that's really nice of him.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Athena
This assumes there are no roadworks on M25. This is NEVER true.

my three month experience of the m25 while i was flogging energy in the shires wasn't the horror show everyone makes it out to be though maybe i was lucky that 21a to 28 is a more decent section?

Original post by Helenia
It's not too tricky - Oxford - Paddington - King's Cross (via Hammersmith+City/Circle Line) - Cambridge, but it is a bit of a hassle. And AFAIK you can't get cheap advance tickets on the London-Cambridge bit of the line, so it's pretty pricey.

Don't trust googlemaps, and really don't go up the A1M - if you must go that way, use the M11. But there's been a massive long stretch of 50mph limit along the top of the M25 for ages, so it's still a bad move. My personal preferred route was A14 - A45 - A43 - M40 (tiny bit) - A34, which is longer than going via MK/Bedford, but more on dual carriageway and a bit more scenic. Can still be done in about 2 hours mostly legally.

a45/a43 defo wins points on the scenic front tho i would wager that via m25 would be faster if there were no roadworks. Oh well. Excuse my geekiness of our wonderful (!) transport system.
[QUOTE="Craghyrax;36550592"]
I feel your pain :frown: I'm in much the same boat.

Oh yes, i saw your post the other day - it's such a pain in the bum! The thing is, because I'm nt stupid, i had a look on rightmove last week when they arranged the first valuation, and saw THE most lovely house - closer to town, and bigger than what i'm in now. but it's available now, and my six months here until i can give notice isn't up until April.

it's the uncertainty that i don't like - they're putting it on the market but not execting it to sell. They want me to stay because they don't want to be trying to sell and empty house (and losing the rent), but i feel a bit like i'm just keeping it warm for them, without really knowing when i'm going to have to move.

their house, and they're within their rights to sell of course, but it's still a pain in the backside...
Original post by Craghyrax

Ooh which Uni was that?

Birmingham - it was great, no point on campus is more than about 10 minutes' walk from the train station, and they went every 10 minutes during the day. It was really handy. At current University I have a choice between a 15 minute walk to the tram stop which takes me to the station (the University is in a really weird banana shape, so if you're in one of the original buildings at the far end - which I am - it's a bloody long walk anywhere) or just walking to the City's train station myself, which takes about 35-40 minutes if I'm not speed walking. It's a bit lame.

Helenia
It probably wouldn't be so bad if it just went direct Oxford-Cambridge, but I don't think it would make enough money, so they have to have the intermediate stops. I've never actually vomited on it as I don't get travel sick, but it's still pretty unpleasant. Last time I got it was at 7am after Magdalen Ball, when I shared it with 4 rah boys who had clearly just been to their first ever ball and spent the entire journey talking about what "banter" it had been, while I prayed for sleep and thought about ways to kill them.

Oh God. Oh God. What method of murder did you settle on in the end? (In imagination, if not reality...).

Latest

Trending

Trending