The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by scarlet ibis
Ah, not ideal then. At least kettles are quite cheap.

True.:smile: Plus I've still got most of my PS-help vouchers, so I can afford to get one, and until then I'll be able to use the one in the kitchen so I won't have to make do without tea. It's basically just an inconvenience, that's all.
Reply 101
Original post by hobnob
True.:smile: Plus I've still got most of my PS-help vouchers, so I can afford to get one, and until then I'll be able to use the one in the kitchen so I won't have to make do without tea. It's basically just an inconvenience, that's all.

You definitely have a history of broken kitchen appliances!
Reply 102
Original post by Becca
You definitely have a history of broken kitchen appliances!

You mean I have a history of moaning about it on GOGSoc whenever anything breaks.:wink:
In all fairness, this is the first time I've ever had a kettle break from excessive use. My old one was stolen before it had a chance to break, so, come to think of it, this one may actually have lasted me for four years, not three. And my father had it before me, so it was probably close to five years old... So anyway, I've got no reason to complain, really, it just gives me something to be grumpy about, I suppose.:p:
Who would steal a kettle? :lolwut:
Reply 104
Original post by Craghyrax
Who would steal a kettle? :lolwut:

Well, they didn't steal just the kettle.
Basically at the end of my final year as an undergraduate, I was struggling to fit all of my stuff into my suitcase, so I put a box containing various things into storage in college. I was going to be back about a month later anyway, for my graduation ceremony, so I thought I'd just pick it up then. But when I returned the box was nowhere to be found. I searched the entire storage room twice (as did the domestic bursar, who volunteered to help), but it was clearly gone, so someone must have nicked it - something which had never happened to me before in three years of putting things into storage at the end of each term.:erm:
I still don't really understand it, because that box didn't contain anything particularly nice or expensive (or even just expensive-looking), just the sort of everyday stuff almost any student would already own: a pair of shoes that I was planning to wear to the ceremony, a chopping board, a couple of bowls, some teabags, mugs, my teapot, my water filter and, well, my electric kettle. None of it terribly shiny and all of it clearly used. Why anyone would want to steal that is beyond me.:s-smilie: But the box never resurfaced.
Original post by hobnob
Well, they didn't steal just the kettle.
Basically at the end of my final year as an undergraduate, I was struggling to fit all of my stuff into my suitcase, so I put a box containing various things into storage in college. I was going to be back about a month later anyway, for my graduation ceremony, so I thought I'd just pick it up then. But when I returned the box was nowhere to be found. I searched the entire storage room twice (as did the domestic bursar, who volunteered to help), but it was clearly gone, so someone must have nicked it - something which had never happened to me before in three years of putting things into storage at the end of each term.:erm:
I still don't really understand it, because that box didn't contain anything particularly nice or expensive (or even just expensive-looking), just the sort of everyday stuff almost any student would already own: a pair of shoes that I was planning to wear to the ceremony, a chopping board, a couple of bowls, some teabags, mugs, my teapot, my water filter and, well, my electric kettle. None of it terribly shiny and all of it clearly used. Why anyone would want to steal that is beyond me.:s-smilie: But the box never resurfaced.

It seems far more likely that it wasn't stolen, and that it was just a mistake. Someone else using the storage confused it for theirs'. Or they asked their parents to pick up their stuff, and didn't give clear enough instructions.

Anyway, this is why I've had insurance since starting Uni.
Reply 106
It seems far more likely that it wasn't stolen, and that it was just a mistake. Someone else using the storage confused it for theirs'. Or they asked their parents to pick up their stuff, and didn't give clear enough instructions.

Well, even if it was a 'mistake' (which seems a bit unlikely, since my name was clearly written on the label), then whoever made that mistake never bothered to correct it.:sigh: College specifically said that they'd keep looking for it and let me know if anything turned up, and I even emailed them at the start of the next term to ask, and I was assured that they had checked but unfortunately the box hadn't turned up. Sure, it's possible that they just lied, but I'd say it's equally likely to someone took the box - perhaps by mistake - and then just kept the contents.
Anyway, this is why I've had insurance since starting Uni.

Well, good for you. But before being allowed to put things into college storage we were made to sign a form that said whatever happened to our stuff was our own problem.:erm:
Original post by hobnob

Well, good for you. But before being allowed to put things into college storage we were made to sign a form that said whatever happened to our stuff was our own problem.:erm:
Yes, but my insurance covers that.
It was £70 a year, and each year I've had it, it has been useful. One year my iPod fell out of my bag when I was running to get a train. That was worth £160. One year Maplin destroyed my laptop, so that was worth £500. And another year my camera got crushed in my bag in an overpacked train, and that was worth £90.
So it always saved me money.
Reply 108
Yes, but my insurance covers that.
It was £70 a year, and each year I've had it, it has been useful. One year my iPod fell out of my bag when I was running to get a train. That was worth £160. One year Maplin destroyed my laptop, so that was worth £500. And another year my camera got crushed in my bag in an overpacked train, and that was worth £90.
So it always saved me money.

Well, it's a bit pointless to speculate about what might have been, but assuming that I had had such an insurance then it wouldn't have saved me money.:erm:
Anyway, I was only explaining how I lost my first kettle, that's all. Even if it had been insured it would be gone now.
Edit: Meh, sorry, I didn't mean to sound so cranky. I just didn't really understand why you seemed so eager to tell me about the virtues of insurance now that my stuff has been gone for nearly five years.:o:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hobnob
Well, it's a bit pointless to speculate about what might have been, but assuming that I had had such an insurance then it wouldn't have saved me money.:erm:
Anyway, I was only explaining how I lost my first kettle, that's all. Even if it had been insured it would be gone now.
Edit: Meh, sorry, I didn't mean to sound so cranky. I just didn't really understand why you seemed so eager to tell me about the virtues of insurance now that my stuff has been gone for nearly five years.:o:

I assumed that since your stuff has been gone for nearly five years you wouldn't be sensitive about it :p:
As for insurance... I don't know. I guess I'm someone who has the annoying habit of feeling the need to suggest solutions when people mention problems, when all they want is either a hug or a sympathetic comment :p:
Reply 110
I assumed that since your stuff has been gone for nearly five years you wouldn't be sensitive about it :p:
As for insurance... I don't know. I guess I'm someone who has the annoying habit of feeling the need to suggest solutions when people mention problems, when all they want is either a hug or a sympathetic comment :p:

My point was that in this case I wanted neither - I only mentioned it as an explanation, because you were puzzled by my statement that my last kettle had been stolen!:p:
:hi:
Original post by hobnob
My point was that in this case I wanted neither - I only mentioned it as an explanation, because you were puzzled by my statement that my last kettle had been stolen!:p:

Uhuh. Yes I suppose I should have just said nothing. I guess I subconsciously don't like conversations dying out.
Original post by Princess Bubbles
:hi:

:hi: :awesome: :hi:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hi: :awesome: :hi:

I did not know this thread existed :biggrin: How are you?
I did not know this thread existed :biggrin: How are you?

I'm OK thanks, just recovering from a slight bout of psychosis. How is medicine treating you? :colone:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm OK thanks, just recovering from a slight bout of psychosis. How is medicine treating you? :colone:

I hope you are ok :hugs: Not too bad. Got a lot of work to do though. Got to work harder this term. :sigh:
I hope you are ok :hugs: Not too bad. Got a lot of work to do though. Got to work harder this term. :sigh:

Clinical student at Addenbrookes?

Urgh, work :sigh: I'm avoiding mine at the mo :ninja:

What fun things are you studying this term? I'm having a lecture on ABBA in two weeks' time :awesome:
Oh dear :facepalm: I knew you'd come back, but thought you'd have the sense to keep the same account Obi Adorno :poke:
:p:

Nah. I come back under a different guise each time. Like the Doctor. Besides which, I often leave under a cloud. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending