Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GOGSoc Episode V: The GOG Strikes Back

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I've missed something. Why might cinosia not be ok?
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    ello all :ciao: My week consisted of god awful supervision meeting, realising my next task is hideous and dry, whacking a ball around on 4 legs at speed (plus point), failing to find the stuff needed for said hideous task, being made to feel totally inadequate by other PhD student and being wined and dined by a lovely guy (plus point 2)

Hmmpfff.
    What was so bad about the supervision meeting?
    I'm not jumping to a conclusion here, but might it be because you perhaps expect positive encouragement or praise (if you had that before in your academic experience) and now stuff seems to be critical?
    There are other people on my PhD who seem to get really down in response to constructive criticism from their supervisor. I actually share the same supervisor and listened to the things that bugged this friend and the comments sounded like nothing to get dispirited about to me.
    I don't know if its just that supervisors at Cam are very critical and don't dish out praise, but if my supervisors criticise my work I don't take it as a sign that I'm crap, I just see it as helpful information about how to go about improving and learning to work at this standard.
    We've both just begun. You can't expect to be PhD level yet. That comes after years of practising, rewriting and learning new skills.

(Original post by Becca)
    *Wonders what Craggy decided r.e. housing*
    Sorry. My life is absolutely manic at the moment. Spending half my life away from home or ringing estate agents, and then I was in Cam all of yesterday. I just can't keep on top of everything right now.

After I posted for views on houses I went to the doctor's and thought about things. Meanwhile Dave found loads of potential alternatives on gumtree, and more on Rightmove. The Bourdieu Close house hasn't gone yet. The agents actually rang us up asking if we wanted it. I told them we were thinking about it and would decide by Monday.
    Basically there are end-of-terrace and semi-detached houses around for £600 a month or less. Since noise from neighbours drives me bonkers, and we want somewhere to settle for a few years, we decided it was probably worth looking a bit longer to see if we could get some place that isn't a terrace.
    Plus that sort of house (2 bedroom terrace) is really common in Norwich for that price. While that particular one was very well situated and had very nice floors and lights and things, other ones like that do steadily come up. But yeh... its really hard letting something go when it looks that nice. Even though rationally I think other equally nice things will turn up.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I think I've missed something. Why might cinosia not be ok?
    Remember a few weeks ago she decided to take a break from TSR...she was sounding a bit down, re PhD apps.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    Remember a few weeks ago she decided to take a break from TSR...she was sounding a bit down, re PhD apps.
    Ah. I thought she'd been quiet
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    What was so bad about the supervision meeting?
    I'm not jumping to a conclusion here, but might it be because you perhaps expect positive encouragement or praise (if you had that before in your academic experience) and now stuff seems to be critical?
    There are other people on my PhD who seem to get really down in response to constructive criticism from their supervisor. I actually share the same supervisor and listened to the things that bugged this friend and the comments sounded like nothing to get dispirited about to me.
    I don't know if its just that supervisors at Cam are very critical and don't dish out praise, but if my supervisors criticise my work I don't take it as a sign that I'm crap, I just see it as helpful information about how to go about improving and learning to work at this standard.
    We've both just begun. You can't expect to be PhD level yet. That comes after years of practising, rewriting and learning new skills.
    If you see/had seen my second post you're realise it's not about the criticism (that I am most definitely used to) it's everything else that had got to me this week. I've gone from being an over-grown undergrad (as that's really what my MA was) to feeling like treading water (with 2 years off in between) so forgive me for voicing my moans and groans
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you see/had seen my second post you're realise it's not about the criticism (that I am most definitely used to) it's everything else that had got to me this week. I've gone from being an over-grown undergrad (as that's really what my MA was) to feeling like treading water (with 2 years off in between) so forgive me for voicing my moans and groans
    Sorry to hear it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's at moments like that you grow a beard!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    It's at moments like that you grow a beard!
    I grew one anyway, in anticipation...
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    See there are places like this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-14672190.html in Norwich which are just incredible. We were so tempted by this one, but unfortunately its in an awkward location which would mean a long walk and the bus to most places I need to go, so I had to veto it. Dave would have liked it, but he is happy to walk miles every day without complaint.

Anyhow so actually we capitulated and went for the 2 bedroom terraced house on Bourdieu Close after all. All of the promising alternatives we saw on Gum tree were taken by the time we rang up, and the remaining options were pretty sparse. Lots of big 3 bedroom semi-detached or end-of-terrace places around, but they were mostly either in bad locations or ugly. Dave didn't think they were ugly but I'm very spoilt like that :o:
    I hate house hunting so much, and am so worried about how behind I'll get with my work that I just decided to take the one we both liked and get moved and settled ASAP. Especially as its agent rang us over the weekend to see if we were still interested. We thought it would get snapped up.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    See there are places like this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-14672190.html in Norwich which are just incredible. We were so tempted by this one, but unfortunately its in an awkward location which would mean a long walk and the bus to most places I need to go, so I had to veto it. Dave would have liked it, but he is happy to walk miles every day without complaint.

Anyhow so actually we capitulated and went for the 2 bedroom terraced house on Bourdieu Close after all. All of the promising alternatives we saw on Gum tree were taken by the time we rang up, and the remaining options were pretty sparse. Lots of big 3 bedroom semi-detached or end-of-terrace places around, but they were mostly either in bad locations or ugly. Dave didn't think they were ugly but I'm very spoilt like that :o:
    I hate house hunting so much, and am so worried about how behind I'll get with my work that I just decided to take the one we both liked and get moved and settled ASAP. Especially as its agent rang us over the weekend to see if we were still interested. We thought it would get snapped up.
    Glad you managed to get somewhere sorted. When do you move?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    x
    Good choice, and I hope (and I'm sure) you'll be very happy there. Plus I love the fact that your address will be [name of road], as I currently love the folk duo of that title. Their song 'Queen of Hearts' is lovely

Might you be tempted to take your Right Move link down, now that you'll actually be living there! Don't want any TSR stalkage!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    Might you be tempted to take your Right Move link down, now that you'll actually be living there! Don't want any TSR stalkage!
    Done.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks the_alba.
    (Original post by Becca)
    Glad you managed to get somewhere sorted. When do you move?
    We paid this month's rent on the 28th of Feb, so we'll aim to move in a few days before the 28th of March, leaving a day or two to clean the current place.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks the_alba.

We paid this month's rent on the 28th of Feb, so we'll aim to move in a few days before the 28th of March, leaving a day or two to clean the current place.
    Good luck with the move!

GOGs, I am getting my tonsils out on Friday and I'm really scared! I've never had general anaesthetic or even been in the hospital really. Any tips? I also have to be off work for 2 weeks afterwards
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    GOGs, I am getting my tonsils out on Friday and I'm really scared! I've never had general anaesthetic or even been in the hospital really. Any tips? I also have to be off work for 2 weeks afterwards
    Not really sure about "tips" (other than "don't stress" ) ... you'll go under very quickly once they administer the anaesthetic, and then come out when it's all over. You may still feel a bit groggy when you come round at first, and they'll be monitoring blood pressure etc for a while to make sure everything is OK. It's a pretty routine surgery so I'm sure everything will go just fine! Will you be leaving the hospital the same day?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    Not really sure about "tips" (other than "don't stress" ) ... you'll go under very quickly once they administer the anaesthetic, and then come out when it's all over. You may still feel a bit groggy when you come round at first, and they'll be monitoring blood pressure etc for a while to make sure everything is OK. It's a pretty routine surgery so I'm sure everything will go just fine! Will you be leaving the hospital the same day?
    Lol thanks! The rational part of my brain tells me everything you just did but I told my class today that'll be going On leave and they came up with all kinds of horror stories! Yeah it's a same day thing. I go in at 7.30am but I don't know what time the op is.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Lol thanks! The rational part of my brain tells me everything you just did but I told my class today that'll be going On leave and they came up with all kinds of horror stories! Yeah it's a same day thing. I go in at 7.30am but I don't know what time the op is.
    OK, well, I have had a couple of experiences with general in the past few years - one unplanned and one planned - so let me reassure you rather . (And I had my tonsils taken out as a child in fact, but don't remember much about it...other than I clearly seem to have survived )
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys urgent query. How does Megabus work? We've booked tickets and all that online and have the reference numbers, what do we do then? i.e do we have to redeem the tickets before boarding or whatever? I left the booking etc to my girlfriend and...yeah...probably not the best idea in retrospect. I essentially have in my hands two printed out print screens of whatever she sent me. This...doesn't seem right.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    Guys urgent query. How does Megabus work? We've booked tickets and all that online and have the reference numbers, what do we do then? i.e do we have to redeem the tickets before boarding or whatever? I left the booking etc to my girlfriend and...yeah...probably not the best idea in retrospect. I essentially have in my hands two printed out print screens of whatever she sent me. This...doesn't seem right.
    I told you that all it said was that we need to show the reservation number to the driver. Can you stop defaming me in public???????

that's what the email said: This email confirms your reservation.

The reservation number provided below must be presented to our driver when you board the vehicle.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lolwut^^
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    I definitely missed that one...
Updated: December 20, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Postgraduate Education Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Postgraduate Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.