The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca
x

Sounds too horrible! When will they release you from hospital? Surely at least as bad as the pain is the fact that you have to be in hospital - the awfulness of that must be at least as bad as physical discomfort...

Thanks about the puppy... I'd like to think this will turn the in-laws in question on to the questions of animal rights. I suspect, though, that it'll just make them think that animals are more trouble than they're worth, or something :rolleyes:
Original post by apotoftea
Gah, the pit falls of unregulated breeding :mad: Crufts has a lot to answer for *mutter mutter* Same happens with horses... Poor puppy and poor kids :frown:

Thanks potty. I didn't know there was a similar problem in horse breeding, how so? Is it mainly to do with racing / eventing horses? If I ever had a horse, I'd be so careful about breeders... I'd adopt if possible, of course. Same with dogs.

PS. There was an anti-Kennel Club (ie anti-Crufts) documentary on BBC Four recently, and it was shocking stuff. These people are *not* on the side of animals, whatever they might think.
(edited 12 years ago)
apotoftea
You ok m'dear? :hugs:

I'm fine really, just severe discomfort. Also have this huge looming cloud of "what am I going to do for the next 2 weeks?" looming over me. I have to be off work for 2 weeks with no strenuous activity or heavy lifting (so that rules out my major hobby) for at least 3 weeks... :nn:
I think much baking will be done and also I have to apply for a 100% teaching job at work, so that will take some time.
Original post by the_alba
Sounds too horrible! When will they release you from hospital? Surely at least as bad as the pain is the fact that you have to be in hospital - the awfulness of that must be at least as bad as physical discomfort...

Thanks about the puppy... I'd like to think this will turn the in-laws in question on to the questions of animal rights. I suspect, though, that it'll just make them think that animals are more trouble than they're worth, or something :rolleyes:

Oh I was released at about 6pm, thankfully. I was getting ready to go home at about 2pm when the fainting episode happened, so annoying. Felt really sorry for my bf. He was wonderful and sat with me until it went over and drove me home and did all the shopping and made me jelly hehe.

Do you know if your sister-n-law plans to get another dog? If she does I hope she would consider a better breeder or adoption.

I just saw they have a duck-tolling-retirever on the Oslo adoption website. SQUEE! Want.
Thanks potty. I didn't know there was a similar problem in horse breeding, how so? Is it mainly to do with racing / eventing horses? If I ever had a horse, I'd be so careful about breeders... I'd adopt if possible, of course. Same with dogs.

PS. There was an anti-Kennel Club (ie anti-Crufts) documentary on BBC Four recently, and it was shocking stuff. These people are *not* on the side of animals, whatever they might think.

http://fuglyblog.com/

I've also had KC dogs but from good homes. Some of the cat breeders are just as bad, they run their programmes like factories :frown: all mine are neutered (although I kind of wish we'd had one litter from our girl) and I'm really glad not to have to deal with breeders any more.
Reply 1444

Actually I'd say the professional side of horses isn't the issue - it costs too much time and money to mess it up :wink: It's the local horse owner who thinks their bent legged, dodgy backed one eyed nag would make wonderful breeding stock and finds an equally bent legged, dodgy backed one eye nag to mate with it. The result is an even more bent legged dodgy nag which is bought by another numpty and the cycle continues.

Ilex has posted the blog I was about to post. It's American but well worth a read. One such example of what I mean: http://fuglyblog.com/2007/06/26/to-whoever-bred-this-horse-you-need-a-new-hobby/

Oh totally!

Original post by Becca
I'm fine really, just severe discomfort. Also have this huge looming cloud of "what am I going to do for the next 2 weeks?" looming over me. I have to be off work for 2 weeks with no strenuous activity or heavy lifting (so that rules out my major hobby) for at least 3 weeks... :nn:
I think much baking will be done and also I have to apply for a 100% teaching job at work, so that will take some time.

Take it easy! :hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi
I get most of my post sent to work now because it arrives here to the flat at mid-day -it's 11am at work. At home it's even worse, it arrives at 1 - 2pm. I mean ... not so long ago post was delivered at the latest by 10am. It's daft and can't be helping their business model much.

I get all my post delivered to work because a don't have a postal address.

Becca, I hope you feel better soon. Enjoy your two weeks off, if you can. I'd love a couple of weeks to relax and bake, but I appreciate that the novelty might wear off!
(edited 12 years ago)
But Ilex and Potty, that website is horrible - they're taking the piss out of these horses not just because they're badly bred, but *because* they're found aesthetically wanting. Mongrel snobbery, in other words. If it was about health I'd get it,but the commentary tends to be, well, *you fugly*, as the title suggests. :facepalm2:
The problem is though Alba that an ill bred horse is an ill, unhappy horse. Dodgy confirmation equal massive health problems and probably an early death - that website actually rescues some of those horses, but also tries to stop idiots who think that anything with *******s is good breeding stock from creating more horses born to go straight to the kill buyers.
Ugh, stuck on a train held at Letchworth, half an hour from Cambridge, and have been here for half an hour already. A car hit a bridge up ahead.
Original post by IlexAquifolium
The problem is though Alba that an ill bred horse is an ill, unhappy horse. Dodgy confirmation equal massive health problems and probably an early death - that website actually rescues some of those horses, but also tries to stop idiots who think that anything with *******s is good breeding stock from creating more horses born to go straight to the kill buyers.

I get it, but rescuing them while going 'this horse looks like ****' is just kinda horrible to me. With cats, dogs, or humans, it wouldn't be cool. It just reminds me of all the rich bitches at my old school, who would spit with disgust at 'ugly nags' while trotting off on their oh-so-expsensive thoroughbreds. Some of which had severe behavioural problems (well, at least they had that in common with their owners). And it reminds me of KC types saying that a mongrel is 'good for nothing'. The obsession with breeding in animals is as bleh to me as it is in blue-blooded Victorian early-grave aristocratic humans: inbreeding sucks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1450
Original post by Becca

Oh I was released at about 6pm, thankfully. I was getting ready to go home at about 2pm when the fainting episode happened, so annoying. Felt really sorry for my bf. He was wonderful and sat with me until it went over and drove me home and did all the shopping and made me jelly hehe.

Hope you feel better fast!
Reply 1451
Original post by IlexAquifolium
I've also had KC dogs but from good homes. Some of the cat breeders are just as bad, they run their programmes like factories :frown: all mine are neutered (although I kind of wish we'd had one litter from our girl) and I'm really glad not to have to deal with breeders any more.

Surely the easiest way of avoiding any dealings with unethical breeders / inbreeding problems with animals is just to get mongrels, though?:confused:
God I REALLY hate the modern European way of handling/breeding horses. On some level I think I actually find it offensive. Thank god Asia at least keeps up the old ways regarding bloodlines (i.e it's quite easy to find horses whose breeding stock goes back to the Achaemenid empire) and not this unnatural toffication of what once was such a majestic animal.
Reply 1453
This is a long shot, but does anyone have electronic access to the Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 20 (1990), 269-289?
I get it, but rescuing them while going 'this horse looks like ****' is just kinda horrible to me. With cats, dogs, or humans, it wouldn't be cool. It just reminds me of all the rich bitches at my old school, who would spit with disgust at 'ugly nags' while trotting off on their oh-so-expsensive thoroughbreds. Some of which had severe behavioural problems (well, at least they had that in common with their owners). And it reminds me of KC types saying that a mongrel is 'good for nothing'. The obsession with breeding in animals is as bleh to me as it is in blue-blooded Victorian early-grave aristocratic humans: inbreeding sucks.

Yes - I can see why the blog gives that impression! I do think horses are fundamentally different, though (which is not to say I don't agree with you that there is a snobbery element, but it's not really 'my horse is prettier than your horse' it's 'my horse is more successful and therefore more valuable than your horse'). Inbreeding does suck, but if you're buying a horse and you want one that's going to be sound, rideable and predictable, you either try and find one with papers or you try and find one that's correct and doesn't have a sway back or sloping pasterns because they tend to be an indicator of very expensive vets bills to come. The inbreeding problem is actually far more prevalent in 'mongrel' horses because if they were bred unintentionally, it's (literally) quite a small field of choice, so there's no guarantee they haven't been shagging their brother. So - while I agree with you on principle I think the practice is different in horsey terms, because they live very different lives to cats and dogs and are generally kept for different purposes. A dog with a broken foot may be nursed back to health, a horse with a broken leg gets shot. It took me a really long time to come to terms with that (still haven't, in many respects) but that's the reality of it. Morally, you are right though: calling any horse ugly is not very nice. It doesn't stop me being angry with the people who bred them, though. There are some serious unscrupulous bastards in the horse world - this is probably a good summary: http://fuglyblog.com/2010/03/02/cremellos-in-the-kill-pen-check-it-out/

hobnob
Surely the easiest way of avoiding any dealings with unethical breeders / inbreeding problems with animals is just to get mongrels, though?:confused:

Yes, absolutely. I'd never defend my cat ownership on ethical grounds: I just really wanted maine coons, for a number of reasons. If I hadn't (and if I'd been able to have adults after my first cat) I'd have gone to rescue.
Sympathies. The Royal Mail recently sent us a courtesy letter saying 'In order to improve our services, we will now deliver at 3pm instead of the previous 8am. We hope you appreciate this.'

We were like, you morons! Delivering a day late at 8am is better than delivering at 3pm. We have places to be! We want our post :colonhash:

Now whenever we order something from Amazon, we're never around to receive it, and we have to walk the three miles to the depot or have it redelivered... which it will be... after three days... at 3pm :angry:

Wow, and I thought that we had it bad :s-smilie:
I have zero trust for the Royal Mail though, after they nearly gave me a heart attack by losing a financial guarantor form my Aunt completed and sent to my estate agent. I kept getting really angry calls from this crazy woman at the agency and I couldn't sleep for a whole week because she kept threatening not to give us the house.
And then a year or two ago, I posted a hand crafted Valentine's gift to my fiance 8 days before the day, and it arrived over 2 weeks after Valentines! :motz:
Original post by QHF
This is a long shot, but does anyone have electronic access to the Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 20 (1990), 269-289?

We only have access from 2003, unfortunately.
Reply 1457
Original post by Craghyrax
We only have access from 2003, unfortunately.

Similar story here. Thanks for checking though!

Fortunately it's unlikely to be central to what I'm writing.
Reply 1458
But Ilex and Potty, that website is horrible - they're taking the piss out of these horses not just because they're badly bred, but *because* they're found aesthetically wanting. Mongrel snobbery, in other words. If it was about health I'd get it,but the commentary tends to be, well, *you fugly*, as the title suggests. :facepalm2:

And 9 times out of 10, a horse is found aesthetically wanting because of its breeding. That's the issue :smile: (That saidone horse I worked with had breeding you would never have guessed!)

The direct link I posted to is a classic example - the horse doesn't even look like a horse and could never undergo a decent amount of work as its front legs would suffer tendon problems pretty quickly. They then go lame and are either buted up and still ridden whilst doing more damage, or shuffled from pillar to post usually ending up at some already over-run charity as a long term permanently lame horse :frown:

Whereas a mongrel dog or cat can still be a great pet for someone and probably wouldn't come with 4/5 figure vets bills. A lame horse is no use to anyone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by apotoftea
And 9 times out of 10, a horse is found aesthetically wanting because of its breeding. That's the issue :smile: (That saidone horse I worked with had breeding you would never have guessed!)

The direct link I posted to is a classic example - the horse doesn't even look like a horse and could never undergo a decent amount of work as its front legs would suffer tendon problems pretty quickly. They then go lame and are either buted up and still ridden whilst doing more damage, or shuffled from pillar to post usually ending up at some already over-run charity as a long term permanently lame horse :frown:

Whereas a mongrel dog or cat can still be a great pet for someone and probably wouldn't come with 4/5 figure vets bills. A lame horse is no use to anyone.

Your last sentence sums up my whole point, which I think you're missing entirely. We obviously see animals in very different ways. I understand that bad breeders are damaging and irresponsible; but the point of an animal isn't to be 'of use' to you. It's such an exploitative way to look at things. The health issues are one thing; the snobbery and tone of the comments on the blog are another.

Latest

Trending

Trending