The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hobnob
ARGH!:mad: I told you to tell me if you ever needed/wanted a sub. I have no other use for those leftover credits except to give them away, I swear!
Edit: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=profiles#faq_username_colour

hahahaha I know, J. told me to ask you but I was too annoyed to wait. Hahaha. Maybe next month :tongue:
Although, checking who has negged me in the past is upsetting. Apparently my own bf negged me. Ah well. He is getting a neg tomorrow :tongue:
Original post by hobnob
Sorry, I have no idea what that actually means.:o: Something surveying-related?

Yeah, GIS is a mapping software which enables you to track data across things. For my PhD I used it to overlay different series of O/S maps to follow the development of land for sporting purposes but it has a wide variety of applications in the fields such as those I mentioned. You can look at distribution patterns of medicine, illness, economic aid and so on but in a mapped-format. Fascinating stuff and really powerful. In many ways it's the future of history. You can take a tithe map and input its data onto the mapping and pull out all sorts of attributes. Say you want to find out those in a county called Smith, you could. Those called Smith who were teachers, and so on. But unlike the census, which does similar, this shows distribution patterns as well.
Reply 142
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi
Yeah, GIS is a mapping software which enables you to track data across things. For my PhD I used it to overlay different series of O/S maps to follow the development of land for sporting purposes but it has a wide variety of applications in the fields such as those I mentioned. You can look at distribution patterns of medicine, illness, economic aid and so on but in a mapped-format. Fascinating stuff and really powerful. In many ways it's the future of history. You can take a tithe map and input its data onto the mapping and pull out all sorts of attributes. Say you want to find out those in a county called Smith, you could. Those called Smith who were teachers, and so on. But unlike the census, which does similar, this shows distribution patterns as well.

OK, so the software basically visualises things to make it easier to recognise patterns in large datasets?
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi

That sounds pretty cool :smile:
Original post by hobnob
OK, so the software basically visualises things to make it easier to recognise patterns in large datasets?

Essentially and in my example, you could plot it onto an old O/S map and see how townscapes have developed over time and see all sorts of fun patterns in the data.
(edited 12 years ago)
Back home on the Duck after a fun, somewhat drunken evening with ice_cube and Ilex. :biggrin:
Reply 146
Original post by hobnob
Yes, she loved it - thanks again for taking the trouble over the food exchange.:biggrin:

Aww so glad to hear it :biggrin: No problem, I seriously enjoyed my dairy milk :coma: Drinking a cup of PG Tips as I type this.
Original post by scarlet ibis
Back home on the Duck after a fun, somewhat drunken evening with ice_cube and Ilex. :biggrin:

Glad your trip back was OK :smile: yes, in retrospect the second bottle might have been best avoided. I had a lovely time though, it was great to meet you (and thank you for
hanging out with me in McDonald's and sharing cat pictures, that was awesome!).
Original post by Becca
Aww so glad to hear it :biggrin: No problem, I seriously enjoyed my dairy milk :coma: Drinking a cup of PG Tips as I type this.

Ever since moving to the UK I've become a chocolate snob. Can't stand Dairy Milk any longer. Its Green and Blacks or gtfo :p:
I thought you'd all gone quiet for the past couple of days!
obi_adorno_kenobi
x

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss your PhD as useless. Yesterday at my class on publication I found out that post doc recruitment is quite affected by the REF (nee RAE) cycle. Since we're nearing the end of one of them, as I understand it, that makes hiring more conservative because departments want to focus on getting as much good research out ASAP, and don't want to take risks. Whereas at the beginning of a cycle, they're more likely to take people who have potential, because over a five year span there's a good chance they'll be putting out good things with a bit of time. So this would imply that this is the wrong time for you, the_alba, hobnob, but things will be more favourable for me, apotoftea, scarlet ibis, etc. (not that SB wants to go into academia necessarily, but yeh).
Have you thought of going for teaching only posts instead? And if you don't mind my asking, what is your publication record?
Original post by Little Jules
I thought you'd all gone quiet for the past couple of days!

Us? :toofunny:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Craghyrax
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss your PhD as useless. Yesterday at my class on publication I found out that post doc recruitment is quite affected by the REF (nee RAE) cycle. Since we're nearing the end of one of them, as I understand it, that makes hiring more conservative because departments want to focus on getting as much good research out ASAP, and don't want to take risks. Whereas at the beginning of a cycle, they're more likely to take people who have potential, because over a five year span there's a good chance they'll be putting out good things with a bit of time. So this would imply that this is the wrong time for you, the_alba, hobnob, but things will be more favourable for me, apotoftea, scarlet ibis, etc. (not that SB wants to go into academia necessarily, but yeh).
Have you thought of going for teaching only posts instead? And if you don't mind my asking, what is your publication record?

I thought it was unlikely!
Reply 152

This. (I love that smiley.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Glad your trip back was OK :smile: yes, in retrospect the second bottle might have been best avoided. I had a lovely time though, it was great to meet you (and thank you for
hanging out with me in McDonald's and sharing cat pictures, that was awesome!).

No problem, it was lovely to meet you too, your cats are very cute, as is your little Japanese dog! Any news on the mysterious phonecall?

I am in the University Library, trying to get some work done. I come here to get peace and quiet but so far I've been disturbed by a very loud drumming band practising/performing in Clare and also by people choosing to come and sit near me when they have a whole empty floor to choose from. And then proceeding to chortle at the book they're reading. Gah!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 154
Original post by scarlet ibis
No problem, it was lovely to meet you too, your cats are very cute, as is your little Japanese dog! Any news on the mysterious phonecall?

I am in the University Library, trying to get some work done. I come here to get peace and quiet but so far I've been disturbed by a very loud drumming band practising/performing in Clare and also by people choosing to come and sit near me when they have a whole empty floor to choose from. And then proceeding to chortle at the book they're reading. Gah!

Perhaps they wanted your autograph ('omg, it's scarlet ibis! The scarlet ibis! The one who lives on a duck!!') but were too shy to ask?:wink:

Teaching only posts require more experience than I was able to gain. My publication record stands (or will by the time everything comes out this year) at 1 book, 4 articles in my name, 2 chapters in edited collections, 1 co-written chapter, and about a dozen book reviews in various places.
Original post by hobnob
Perhaps they wanted your autograph ('omg, it's scarlet ibis! The scarlet ibis! The one who lives on a duck!!') but were too shy to ask?:wink:

:rofl:

I moved to the top floor, up lots and lots of stairs, hoping that most people who made it up this far are only here because they want a book up here, and those who just want a desk give up and sit down before they get to the top. Seems to have worked so far!
Reply 157
that awkward moment when you get rejected by your safety school ...

:cry:

Seriously, fml.

UNLESS THEY WERE JUST INTIMIDATED BY ALL MY AWESOME :cool:

No, that's not likely. This really doesn't bode well for my other applications, and has got me thinking - there is literally nothing more I could have done. I guess there's just something fundamentally wrong with me.

:cry2:
Original post by cinosia

Seriously, fml.

No, that's not likely. This really doesn't bode well for my other applications, and has got me thinking - there is literally nothing more I could have done. I guess there's just something fundamentally wrong with me.

Not at all! Try not to take it personally! American universities can get pretty competitive even at the safety level, especially if there's funding and/or healthcare involved. It doesn't mean you're not interesting enough or clever enough: just (sadly) there are people out there currently more suited :console:

Besides, it might not necessarily be completely the end. I was rejected by NYU for their PhD course but months later got told I was to be put forward for an interdisciplinary Masters much more suited to me and could I email them if I wanted to be considered? Wasn't funded though and I was very ill by that stage :colonhash: So maybe something like that could happen to you? :dontknow:

Either way, try not to think that you're not good enough :hugs:
Reply 159
Original post by cinosia

Seriously, fml.

No, no, no, you know that's not true. Even in the UK there are numerous accounts of people being rejected by Oxford and accepted by Cambridge or vice versa (and similar at other top unis). It just means you didn't fit at one place. :hugs:
(edited 12 years ago)