Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HELP – Good trustable internet sites!

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I’m a law student, each week we have to finish a task about legal history. This week my casus is set in the year 1486. I have to find out what was the territory of the Holy Roman Empire, how it was ruled, which courts were applicable, etc.
    PROBLEM we have only a small textbook (Roman Law in European History – Peter Stein) which doesn’t contain the right information. We’ll have to look on the internet, but we can only use ‘trustable’ sites. I’ve got no clue where to start. As I’ve looked for hours and always turn to the same sites. If anyone – please, I’m desperate – knows a good site, let me know!!

Thanks a lot,
    Katharos703
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like that word, trustable.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,i'm don't do law so i'm not sure but if Wikipedia is allowed then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roman_Empire
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are studies by BBC and Nature which showed Wikipedia to be about as reliable as Encyclopaedia Britannica.

The References and External Links sections often also link to good references.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katharos703)
    Hi,

I’m a law student, each week we have to finish a task about legal history. This week my casus is set in the year 1486. I have to find out what was the territory of the Holy Roman Empire, how it was ruled, which courts were applicable, etc.
    PROBLEM we have only a small textbook (Roman Law in European History – Peter Stein) which doesn’t contain the right information. We’ll have to look on the internet, but we can only use ‘trustable’ sites. I’ve got no clue where to start. As I’ve looked for hours and always turn to the same sites. If anyone – please, I’m desperate – knows a good site, let me know!!

Thanks a lot,
    Katharos703
    Apparently TSR isn't (yes I did once try this when I was running late ) . To check if it's a trustable source look at things like if it's written by someone who is impartial and correctly qualified on the subject and if it is likely statements have been taken out of context. If you want to take it even further check for peer reviewd journals perhaps and check the sources of your sources. Who published it may be as important as who wrote it in some cases.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks, but I do know when something is a good source
    The only problem, there are no books about this which are available to us. So we'll have to find it through free internet sites. But do you know any site?

(Original post by curtis871)
    Apparently TSR isn't (yes I did once try this when I was running late ) . To check if it's a trustable source look at things like if it's written by someone who is impartial and correctly qualified on the subject and if it is likely statements have been taken out of context. If you want to take it even further check for peer reviewd journals perhaps and check the sources of your sources. Who published it may be as important as who wrote it in some cases.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katharos703)
    Hi thanks, but I do know when something is a good source
    The only problem, there are no books about this which are available to us. So we'll have to find it through free internet sites. But do you know any site?
    Sorry, guess I misunderstood. I've never studied law so I'm not sure if any sites I've used on the Holy Roman Empire would be detailed enough on that aspect but I'll dig them out, check for dead links and post them just in case. I do remember there seemed to be a lot more in Spanish and German than English for some reason so that might cause a problem. I think online translators are fairly good for those languages now but I don't know if that causes problems or not.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The internet is not an appropriate tool, maybe you should check for other textbooks from your library. Or you could check for articles on Westlaw etc.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 27, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.