The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 1
I really liked it (even if I was bored to tears during the WebCT talk) and the students that I spoke to doing the course at the moment were all really positive about it. Besides which, I like the Film and Creative Writing aspects, and the guy who did the accommodation talk was brilliant. It'll probably end up as my firm choice, I reckon.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Ahhh WebCT. Memories. Chances are you'll never use it, they try to force you to while at the same time quietly saying "well no...it's not compulsory. BUT IT'S USEFUL." It's a place for the arrogant to think they look intellectual. Muhah.
Yeah, the accomodation guy was great. WebCT was incredibly boring! Oh, and the guy's joke about china's censorship of Exeter's site was not as 'off the cuff' as he would have liked us to believe, he told the same joke to the adult group; with, sad to say, the same silent reception. I was impressed overall, had been set against Exeter due to concerns that the course wasn't inspiring enough.. but it actually looks ok (agree with you about the added bonus of film and creative writing aspects) .. I haven't heard of the possibility of doing a creative writing dissertation anywhere else.
Would have been nice to be there on a sunny day though eh?
Reply 4
I saw it in the sun back in June when I went for an open day - they weren't lying, it's gorgeous when it's sunny. Really pretty (but the heat makes the hill from the train station a nightmare, as far as I can remember). I wish I'd had a chance to look around the town though - I'm mildly concerned that it'd be quite quiet if I went there.
Reply 5
The town is pretty good.
If you've ever been to Reading the shops are of about the same standard.
We have Boots, WHSmith, 2 branches of Waterstone's, Blackwell's (on campus), H&M, Bay, Topshop/Topman, Dorothy Perkins, Monsoon/Accessorize, Debenhams, Dingles (like Debenhams), plus loads of independent jewellery and clothes shops (including vintage :smile: ).
In the way of clubs we are a little thin on the ground, but we have Warehouse, Boxes and Boogies, Arena, Timepiece, Walkabout, Havana, Amber Rooms (those last two are more like bars than clubs though).
We also have the Phoenix Arts Centre and Three Fat Fish (comedy club), and tons and tons of restaurants.
Anything else you want to know, just ask :biggrin:
Reply 6
And then down Gandy Street they have loads of boutique stores eg White Stuff things like that.

My friend went on Wednesday, she was really, really impressed. She said she had a seminar and was v pleased that the lady taking her thought she was v original in her ideas! How weird if some of you were in her group, she's the one that talks a lot, is quite clearly spoken and dramatic :biggrin:
We had a bloke. Very enthusiastic - but the seminar was too short to get any real feel I think
Reply 8
My seminar was great - 3 of us plus a tutor, so I pretty much got to pester him with all the questions I wanted! That said, it wasn't exactly an academic one - we pretty much just talked over the specific course and our options for the year abroad ( :eek: :eek: ). I still can't believe I could be studying in the States for a year! :biggrin:
Ariadne
My seminar was great - 3 of us plus a tutor, so I pretty much got to pester him with all the questions I wanted! That said, it wasn't exactly an academic one - we pretty much just talked over the specific course and our options for the year abroad ( :eek: :eek: ). I still can't believe I could be studying in the States for a year! :biggrin:

Was the tutor James Lyons? We had a different guy last year, but he's writing a book atm. I remember a couple of people from that open day - one of them is studying over here with me now and we've become pretty good friends.
Reply 10
I think so - youngish, reddish hair? He seemed really nice - I thought the tutors were going to be like the Oxford ones I met - old and unapproachable. What's he like as a tutor?
Um, not really sure as I've been away so I've only spoken to him over email. However, the guy we had last year (Mark Whalen), who'll be returning next year was really lovely and very approachable. They give us a reference for our application so we have to be nice to them! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Evil Muffin
Was the tutor James Lyons?

James 'GRRRR get in my bed' Lyons. I loved my English seminar last term cos we would stare into his eyes... my friend Rach developed a real obsession!! She would go bright red when he spoke to her...

No he doesn't have red hair! Its's dark and tousled! He's a good tutor though - I'm really glad I'm doing the film module options because James and Dan North are great. (...and there's nothing worse than hating your teacher..)
Reply 13
lol!
another good one is Nick Mcdowell, it doesn't matter if you hate the text he's speaking about because you'll turn up to his lectures just to hear his lovely soothing Scots accent for an hour :p:
Reply 14
I was at UEC doing english. They liked old Dan there too. And Eddie...although one girl said she wanted to pick him up and and put him in her pocket and carry him around...see this sorta thing is why I left...
Reply 15
lol!!!! Do you mean Eddie Jones? He's a nice bloke but I wouldn't go that far...
Reply 16
HLB
James 'GRRRR get in my bed' Lyons. I loved my English seminar last term cos we would stare into his eyes... my friend Rach developed a real obsession!! She would go bright red when he spoke to her...

No he doesn't have red hair! Its's dark and tousled! He's a good tutor though - I'm really glad I'm doing the film module options because James and Dan North are great. (...and there's nothing worse than hating your teacher..)

Lol... I see I have a lot to look forward to! :p: (And I'm positive his hair is dark red... - unless it's dyed or something :rolleyes: )
I think a couple of people did have a thing for Eddie Jones last year - I guess its the somewhat bumbling Oxford charm :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending