The Student Room Group

[HELP] How am I going to cope with A-Levels? [HELP]

Hey guys, thank you for clicking this thread. I am currently in year 11 and I have already achieved A* in Maths (got the results 2 weeks ago) and I'm planning on doing these subjects for A-levels:
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics

I've started doing C1 and I'm finding it reasonably hard, I've started on surds and indices and it's not as easy to grasp on compared to GCSE. Obviously I didn't expect it to be as easy as GCSE but I didn't expect it to be too hard. Anyway, what advice would you give me when I start my A-Levels or even now, I want to get 4A's or above. Also, how hard is Further Maths compared to Maths?

This is what I think I'm going to get in my GCSE's:
English Lang: B
English Lit: B
History: A
Business Studies: A
Psychology: A*
Maths: A* (confirmed)
Core Science: A*
Additional Science: A
Religious Studies: A*
Citizenship: A*
IT: A

Thanks for reading!
Reply 1
bump
Just work hard and don't fall behind, ask your teacher/tutor when you don't understand and don't be afriad of sounding stupid, for all you know everyone in the class is wanting to know the same thing but is too shy to ask.
It also helps if you make notes and then go over everything you have done at the end of each day.
Nothing is too difficult it's your brain power that needs exercising.
Good luck! there are nice games on the BBC website that help with revision (Bitesize) And then just look around on the internet for revision activities.
All you need to do is work hard and set yourself reasonable goals that you can live up to.
Those are really good grades :smile:

Well done on the A* in Maths :biggrin:

Yeah Core 1 looks a little tricky from the beginning as A Levels can be quite daunting but there's lots of online resources that can help you.

Exam Solutions & www.m4ths.com
^ Two excellent websites, I wish I'd known about m4ths one before
If you can't grasp C1 fairly easily then I think you're going to struggle with FM. C1 should be pretty straightforward - it's only really like the hardest questions on the GCSE paper. Most Further Mathematicians in my school had grasped C1 (and were getting 90-100% in it) in couple of weeks. I'd understand if you were finding C2 tough because that's quite a big step up from C1 (bigger than the step from GCSE to C1, I'd say).
I hope you haven't looked at a paper and been put off? The surds and indices are basics on GCSE but I'd have to admit, that's the boring stuff. When you get to Chapter 2/3 it becomes better, you'll ease in hopefully.
Reply 6
bump
Original post by `God
Hey guys, thank you for clicking this thread. I am currently in year 11 and I have already achieved A* in Maths (got the results 2 weeks ago) and I'm planning on doing these subjects for A-levels:
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics

I've started doing C1 and I'm finding it reasonably hard, I've started on surds and indices and it's not as easy to grasp on compared to GCSE. Obviously I didn't expect it to be as easy as GCSE but I didn't expect it to be too hard. Anyway, what advice would you give me when I start my A-Levels or even now, I want to get 4A's or above. Also, how hard is Further Maths compared to Maths?

Thanks for reading!

Struggling with C1 is not a good sign for Further Maths, but don't be disheartened. Maybe you're just not very good at self teaching and need more guidance. Honestly though indices and surds should be very simple, they're basically GCSE level. Just try anyway if you enjoy maths and have a passion for it. If it's too much then you can change subject in the first few weeks. Good luck with it, the main thing you need to do when starting A-levels is prepare to have to put proper effort in now unlike in GCSEs where you can coast through quite a lot. Good luck with the rest of your GCSEs and I hope you do well in A-levels when they come :smile:
Reply 8
Your clearly intelligent, the only thing standing in your way is whether or not you make the effort.

Original post by `God
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics

Thanks for reading!

Have you tried watching A level C1 maths videos on youtube?
Reply 10
Original post by hassi94
Struggling with C1 is not a good sign for Further Maths, but don't be disheartened. Maybe you're just not very good at self teaching and need more guidance. Honestly though indices and surds should be very simple, they're basically GCSE level. Just try anyway if you enjoy maths and have a passion for it. If it's too much then you can change subject in the first few weeks. Good luck with it, the main thing you need to do when starting A-levels is prepare to have to put proper effort in now unlike in GCSEs where you can coast through quite a lot. Good luck with the rest of your GCSEs and I hope you do well in A-levels when they come :smile:

It's not exactly that I'm struggling it's just much harder to grasp than GCSE's (which is obviously expected but I didn't think it would be too hard). For example a topic at GCSE level (say areas of segments in a circle or sin/cos rule) would take me like 30 minutes to perfect it but just starting with surds and indices (C1) it's taken me like an hour and a half to perfect it. Is that natural? or is it that I need a teacher to help me?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Politricks
Have you tried watching A level C1 maths videos on youtube?

Nope, should I? Cos I'm still in year 11 and at the moment only me and two other people in my class do A-Level maths, the rest are revising for the GCSE retakes.
I started maths A level this year, honestly its fine if you got an A* at GCSE then you'll have no problem. I'm also learning further maths myself and its not too hard at all. If you have a logical mind and understand maths then its easy :smile:

By the options you want to take I guess you want to go down the mathsy route anyway so as long as you keep on top of it all you'll be fine. I did additional maths this time last year (end of year 11) and it was basically core one with a few even harder things! I found it difficult at the time but now its easy and has given me a real head start :smile:
Original post by `God
It's not exactly that I'm struggling it's just much harder to grasp than GCSE's (which is obviously expected but I didn't think it would be too hard). For example a topic at GCSE level (say areas of segments in a circle or sin/cos rule) would take me like 30 minutes to perfect it but just starting with surds and indices (C1) it's taken me like an hour and a half to perfect it. Is that natural? or is it that I need a teacher to help me?

Doesn't sound too bad. We can't really be sure to be honest. C1 doesn't stretch ability enough to be a good indication of how well you can do in maths. Just keep going at it, don't let what I've said outbound off. Do you have a strong passion for maths? Not just good at it but enjoy it too?
Reply 14
Original post by hassi94
Doesn't sound too bad. We can't really be sure to be honest. C1 doesn't stretch ability enough to be a good indication of how well you can do in maths. Just keep going at it, don't let what I've said outbound off. Do you have a strong passion for maths? Not just good at it but enjoy it too?

Yeah, unlike other subjects I actually enjoy doing it, it may seem odd but I even enjoy revising it. In November I took my Maths GCSE and got the highest in the yeargroup and everyone was like 'Wow you genius at Maths' but I worked very hard for it, I revised an hour and a half a day (sounds not a lot, but it is for me haha before that I was very very lazy).
Original post by `God
Yeah, unlike other subjects I actually enjoy doing it, it may seem odd but I even enjoy revising it. In November I took my Maths GCSE and got the highest in the yeargroup and everyone was like 'Wow you genius at Maths' but I worked very hard for it, I revised an hour and a half a day (sounds not a lot, but it is for me haha before that I was very very lazy).

That's a good sign, I quite enjoyed revising for it too :tongue: just keep working hard. Just be aware that you might not be as good as you're hoping so you have to always be putting effort in. I'm sure you'll do well.

Original post by `God
Nope, should I? Cos I'm still in year 11 and at the moment only me and two other people in my class do A-Level maths, the rest are revising for the GCSE retakes.

Well, it'll definitely help you for things which you can't understand, or you could ask a teacher for help

Nobody is expecting anybody to understand some concepts (especially in M1, M2 etc..) immediately, look for help wherever you can

Quick Reply

Latest