The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Scroll to see replies

Much easier if you're in a routine and doing the same thing most days at least. I was awful when at uni, as I was used to getting up late. But it's just second nature to me now, really. The key for me is waking up earlier than I realistically need to, otherwise I'd just be stumbling around and leaving an awful lot less time to get ready:

I wake up at 4.45am, and make sure I'm awake but hang around in bed until 5.30am, usually I put a TV show on iplayer that I've missed the night before or something, so that I know I'm awake. Then at 5.30 I get up and know I have just over an hour to get properly ready to leave at 6.35 without feeling too groggy and forgetting things.
God help the OP when he starts work.

I have work at 6.00am tomorrow morning.
How can you not go to a lecture JUST because it's at 9am? I find this ridiculous unless you're ill or didn't manage to get any sleep at all
Reply 203
Original post by turkishdisco
How can you not go to a lecture JUST because it's at 9am? I find this ridiculous unless you're ill or didn't manage to get any sleep at all

But it's so early :frown:
Reply 204
Original post by bronc.

The amount of time you'll spend catching up on that missed lecture will make the extra hours sleep completely not worth it.
Reply 205
Original post by Dan1909
The amount of time you'll spend catching up on that missed lecture will make the extra hours sleep completely not worth it.

Not just an extra hours sleep, probably 3 or 4
Reply 206
Original post by bronc.
Not just an extra hours sleep, probably 3 or 4

Then surely you'll miss more than just one lecture if you're sleeping in that long?
Reply 207
Original post by Dan1909
Then surely you'll miss more than just one lecture if you're sleeping in that long?

Indeed Dan, indeed :frown:
Reply 208
Original post by bronc.

Just imagine the world of work when getting up to begin work at 9am 5 days a week is the expected norm for the rest of your working life. This usually implies waking up before 8am. Often much earlier. Sure, you have chance to establish a "pattern", but forget about mid-week late-night partying and drinking.

Yes, it sucks asinine gonads, but that's life. :smile:

If you're lucky, with the changes to pension laws you'll have 5-10 years of retirement twiddling your thumbs before you get to push up the daisies. Just a thought to cheer up your Monday blues. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 209
Original post by Mequa
Just imagine the world of work when getting up to begin work at 9am 5 days a week is the expected norm for the rest of your working life. This usually implies waking up before 8am. Often much earlier. Sure, you have chance to establish a "pattern", but forget about mid-week late-night partying and drinking.

If you're lucky, with the changes to pension laws you'll have 5-10 years of retirement twiddling your thumbs before you get to push up the daisies. Just a thought to cheer up your Monday blues. :smile:

I actually managed to get up for my 9am seminar this morning though, I think you're preaching to the choir :gthumb:
Reply 210
When I need to get up I usually have my alarm go off every 10 minutes or so. However, there are techniques to help you get up in the morning:

The ones I like most is making an effort to sit up in bed, and then drinking a pint of water. This often tells your body it's time to wake up.

Another is when the alarm goes off literally LEAP out of bed, it works for some people.

Saying 'NO' out loud when you want to sleep for another 10 minutes often works for some people if you're quite self-motivated.

There are more tricks people use, just Google it! At the moment I'm making an effort to wake up at 7:30am every morning; it gives you so much more time to do things. Today, by 10:30am I'd already taken notes from two lectures slides, watched two episodes of the Big Bang Theory, and played on my Xbox360 for a little. Your body realistically only needs 6-8 hours sleep. Most people can get by very well on 7.
Reply 211
Original post by bronc.
I actually managed to get up for my 9am seminar this morning though, I think you're preaching to the choir :gthumb:

Same here, I do enjoy Language Engineering though (part of my Computer Science degree), however I do not relish its Monday 9am lecture.

I much prefer hands-on lab work to lectures though - I have a 9am lab on Fridays. I work better in the evenings though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 212
Just finished preparing for an 8:00 lecture only to discover its 11:30
Original post by darmmy
Just finished preparing for an 8:00 lecture only to discover its 11:30

Wow that is way off. Well go back to sleep :smile:
Reply 214
I have 9am lectures every day (apart from the weekend). I think it's easier if you're getting up early every day.
For 9am lectures i have to be up at 6am due to not living near to uni. Usually i'm fine with it though, but not today. I arrive at uni around 8:40, go to the room only for there to be a notice up on the door saying "9am lecture cancelled due to illness of lecturer" Now that is frustrating! Even more frustrating that i have been waiting 3 hours and still another 2 hours until my next lecture today.
Original post by ra-ra-ra
For 9am lectures i have to be up at 6am due to not living near to uni. Usually i'm fine with it though, but not today. I arrive at uni around 8:40, go to the room only for there to be a notice up on the door saying "9am lecture cancelled due to illness of lecturer" Now that is frustrating! Even more frustrating that i have been waiting 3 hours and still another 2 hours until my next lecture today.

Does your uni not send you an email telling you if any lectures are cancelled?
Reply 217
Original post by Mequa

That's not life, that's slavery!

I will not work 9-5's, I will do things on my own terms! which is basically not working and traveling.
Original post by pinda.college
Does your uni not send you an email telling you if any lectures are cancelled?

They did but it was at 8:50, so it was a little late to turn back and drive home considering i was already there.
Original post by Mequa
This usually implies waking up before 8am. Often much earlier. Sure, you have chance to establish a "pattern", but forget about mid-week late-night partying and drinking.

I wake before 8am every night out previous or not. I live off little sleep and don't get hungover. It's a win win situation for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending