The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Some people are really lazy! Even on a day off i am up before 9make the most of the day and time when you have little worries in life.
I have 9 am lectures about 3/4 times a week and normally their all day.......not on a course where you are only in 8 hours or so a week !!!!

Try getting up at half 5 for a 7 oclock shift and not getting paid 'as its part of your course!........however its a job i want to do so
I wake up at 6 am to get to lectures at 9. :pierre:
I wake up at 5 am to get to lectures at 9
Reply 63
Are you all taking the piss? When I have early shift at work I have to be there at 7am, which means getting up at 5.30am. If you don't go to bed too late or get drunk the night before then it shouldn't be hard at all.
Reply 64
Original post by Station
Does anyone else struggle with this?

I find that unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time I am unable to fall asleep early enough on the night before my 9am lectures. I just end up lieing in bed for about 5 hours or so.

I often end up staying awake all night just to attend them at times, but this is pretty draining both physically and mentally so I end up missing quite a few of them.

Just put a number of alarms everywhere around your room so you have to physically get up to close them. Soon you get into routine trust me!
I've never missed a 9AM lecture/tutorial/lab and I get up at 5am for the commute.
Jesus you guys, I have to get up at 5.20am tomorrow, to work 7.30am-6.30pm (with only one hour-long break might I add), to get home at gone 8pm. This leaves me time to eat and go to bed.

9am shifts are like a dream come true for me when they happen.
Reply 67
Original post by buchanan700
I'm on placement, which means I have to get up by 6:15 to leave at 7:15. Everyday. I finish at about 430/5. Everyday. With about a half an hour break. Everyday.

Beat that suckahs...

Okay. While I was working in the summer, I would get up at 5am for a 7.30am start, finishing at about 6pm in the evening with a 90 minute bus ride home after.

Now that was hell

Original post by dknt
I have one main alarm that is very loud and scares the crap out of me everytime it goes off. Then, 10 minutes later my phone alarm goes off and I place that on the other side of the room. Even after all of this I get up turn the alarms off and go back to bed :sigh:

exactly what i do :frown:
Original post by lolololol
Bleeeh I have to be up early every day except Sunday and Thursday. 9am lectures on Monday and Tuesday, 10am on Wednesday, 11am on Thursday, 8.30am start in a school in Islington on a Friday and 10am start in Hampstead to tutor on Saturday. Coupled with finishing at 9.30pm 4 days a week at work and you get one very tired student. I should probably get to bed...:frown:

lolololol sucks to be you
Reply 70
When i had 9am starts last semester , i had to wake up at 6am which was tough. A few times i switched my alarm off/threw my phone at the wall/ took out the battery just to make it go quiet and i ended up waking up around midday and thinking '****! Not again'. Getting out of bed is the difficult part, after that i'm ok, so what i did was drank lots of water the night before and that way in the morning i had to get out of bed and run to the toilet :tongue: It worked! Though if you have a weak bladder, it's not the best idea.

Thankfully i don't have 9am starts anymore, so now i get to sleep till 7am and then have my younger sister run in screamning 'i'm late for school, iron my clothes and pack my lunch!!!':mad: Ffs, one of these days i'll snap!

If you have touble waking up, use multiple alams with different alarm tones and for the first week or so it will be hard, you'll be grumpy, exhausted and moody but you'll get use to it.
Original post by MrHappy_J
I agree, but then I remember that most people in his country have to work from 9 to 6.

I also used to be at school from 8am to 5am, so...im used to it.

doesnt make it any easier of course.

School level: Asian
Reply 72
I put my phone, which I use as an alarm, on the opposite side of my bedroom. This forces me to get out of bed to turn it off. It doesn't, however, stop me from getting back into bed and falling asleep again :sigh:

I'm also on placement at the moment. Luckily, I only live about 20 mins drive away, so I can get up at 8 and still make it in time. I usually (try to) get up at 7.30, though. It's much easier once you're into a routine. I have a feeling I'm going to find it difficult again come next year.
Original post by oh-my-diddy
for 9am lectures, i would need to get up at 5.45am.................................that's why i don't.

Same here.. Only I have to, as we have to attend. But only in 2 days a week so I just suck it up & cope with it :biggrin:.
Reply 74
Original post by miserlou
Lectures on a Saturday? :lolwut: Is that even legal?

Phys nat sci at cambridge is hard :frown:
You know you're getting old when you think getting up any later than 9am is wasting the day. I used to get up at 5am, out of choice, to go to the gym.... that only lasted 2 months, now i'm back to rolling out of bed at 8am :smile:
Original post by specialk_698
School level: Asian

lol i meant from 8am to 5pm.
Reply 77
I have to wake up at 6 am for those :frown:
Original post by Station
Does anyone else struggle with this?

I find that unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time I am unable to fall asleep early enough on the night before my 9am lectures. I just end up lieing in bed for about 5 hours or so.

I often end up staying awake all night just to attend them at times, but this is pretty draining both physically and mentally so I end up missing quite a few of them.

I often have awful sleep patterns but I find a bit of sleep is really useful. eg as I had coursework to hand in today, I have only had 3 hours sleep since 11 am on Sunday. I find that having a bit of sleep, no matter how much, is really useful.
Try getting up at 6:25 like I have to for 8:15 lectures!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending