The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by CatRox
I'm on placement and I wake up at 5am to leave at 6.15am. I finish at 9.15pm and get home about 10.15pm.

That is possibly the worst thing i've ever heard. Don't have a clue how you do it :redface: you have my sympathy.
Reply 81
I had one 9am lecture last semester and my alarm used to go off at 5:15 so I could get to London in time. NOT FUN.

Thankfully my earliest this semester is 10am so a much nicer 6:00am alarm. I know it's only 45 minutes but it makes a hell of a difference.
I start uni at 9 every day, and work at 8.30 on a Saturday. Thank goodness for Sundays.
Original post by Flylebird
In my halls, we can request personal wake-up calls by asking reception downstairs.

That sounds brilliant, but I'd end up being very rude to the receptionist.
Original post by LtCommanderData
I do this, and still managed to sleep through them and miss a lecture yesterday. I think I need to change my alarm sound. My brain has obviously gotten used to this one!

I have an alarm with a snooze button every 5mins - if you dont stop it bleeping it gets faster and faster until its just a constant sound!
Reply 85
I have a 9 tomorrow, and my bike lock is jammed shut so I have to walk :frown: :frown: :frown:

I don't live more than 25 minutes walk from the city centre, but still...
Just get into a routine of going to sleep at about midnight and wake up at about 8am and you're sorted. It's not exactly late and frankly, getting only 6 hours if you go out isn't the end of the world. You also need to get into a 'my alarm has gone off I have to get up now' mentality. None of this 'oh, I'll just have another 10 minutes' crap. Get up as soon as your alarm goes off - sit up in your bed and turn your light on.
the worst part is for us who wear contact lenses ,normally i would wake up 8:45,dressed and eat in 10 minutes and go to uni{i live close} but now i wake up at 7:30 wait until 8 and then them attempt to put contact lenses..
I make more of an effort to get in at 9am then a 11am one. The 11am one i have attended 1/12 lectures this year lol. 9am i make a conscious effort and feel i can do it on 5 hours sleep. Anything less than 4 and i will feel ill so not a lot of point seeing as it's 3 hours. How i got up for 7.30 everyday for school i will never know. I wish i could get back into that sort of pattern. But going out a couple of times a week even messes these patterns up completely.

In first year i didn't hardly ever attend the 9am ones. Sadly times change.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just got my new semester timetable. I now have to get up at 3am because i apparently have to ride a boat to uni.
Reply 90
I used to have to get up at 1am and then travel 3000 miles to get to my lecture which started at 3am on the top of a mountain.

I had these lectures up to 8 days a week and they often lasted 32 hours a time.

But if you try telling kids today... they just don't believe you.
Original post by Station
Does anyone else struggle with this?

I find that unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time I am unable to fall asleep early enough on the night before my 9am lectures. I just end up lieing in bed for about 5 hours or so.

I often end up staying awake all night just to attend them at times, but this is pretty draining both physically and mentally so I end up missing quite a few of them.

i went to bed at 1 am for mine today, and got woken up at 3 am by smoke alarms going off as someone left a hob on. Spent 20 minutes trying to get the smoke out of the house before going back to bed, to ages to sleep, and still managed to wake up at 8 to go in for a 9am

Wish I had time for a shower though, smelling like smoke all the way to uni and back wasn't good :frown:
Reply 92
at school I used to wake up at half 6 everymorning go to school but then most days I would come home have a few hours break and then go to work in a pub.

I don't understand why if I used to get home from work at 2ish and get up for half 6 I find going to anything before about 12 impossible now
Original post by LtCommanderData
I do this, and still managed to sleep through them and miss a lecture yesterday. I think I need to change my alarm sound. My brain has obviously gotten used to this one!

Me too! Except I don't have 9am lectures, I have one 10am on a monday, I slept through it yesterday. My mum woke me up on her way out to work and I promptly went back to sleep. But yea, I have one at 1pm and I'm probably going to miss it, even though I've been out since 9am today.
I don't even live on campus so have to get up even earlier than my coursemates :frown:
I'm looking forward to uni in September, getting to start as late as 9am. Right now I work at McDonald's and I'm mostly on the breakfast shift, starting at 6am. HATE getting up at 5, and I hate going to bed so early.
Original post by lyrical_lie
Me too! Except I don't have 9am lectures, I have one 10am on a monday, I slept through it yesterday. My mum woke me up on her way out to work and I promptly went back to sleep. But yea, I have one at 1pm and I'm probably going to miss it, even though I've been out since 9am today.

Haha, my earliest lectures are at 10 as well, but I didn't want to complain about how difficult it is to get up for 10 AM lectures in case I aggravated the people who have to get up at times we could actually fairly call 'early' :tongue:
Reply 97
I have a 2 hour seminar on Monday mornings at 9am, my sleep pattern at the moment means I'm not asleep till about 4am so yesterday I got up for it only having had 4 hours sleep. Trouble with that was today I had another seminar at 11 and slept in till 2pm :colondollar:
Think yourselves lucky, to get into Uni for a 9am lecture, I have to get out of bed at 4:45am, set off at 5:45am, take 3 trains and get there around 8:25...

I usually get between 45 minutes and 4 hours sleep...

Thankfully I do this once a week... that was today :biggrin:
I don't get why so many of you live so far from the unis you go to. You'd make your lives so much easier if you lived nearer.

Quick Reply

Latest