The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by SoulfulBoy
LMAO! I do this!!! And still miss lectures. :frown:

I have tried this as well. If it doesnt work for you then put the alarm much away from your bed so you ll have to stand up in order to turn it off.
Sounds like heaven to me. Have to meet at 5 am at my current job.
It's a bit weird going to bed so early but you get used to it. After a few days with lack of sleep you become naturally tired you see...
Reply 122
Original post by jsd26
I have an alarm on for 8.00, 8.05, 8.10, 8.15 etc until i wake up

Don't do this frequently tho.

It will chronically damage you, you should get used to get up during the first alarm.
Else your nerves system will be eventually get damaged and you ll also feel "tired" during the day and you ll have much desire to sleep and your mind wont calculate things easy. If you weak up immediately tho, it will be the opposite.
Reply 123
Original post by rainy_days
Sounds like heaven to me. Have to meet at 5 am at my current job.
It's a bit weird going to bed so early but you get used to it. After a few days with lack of sleep you become naturally tired you see...

Exactly so sleep for 7-8 hours at least
Reply 124
i use to struggle with this too.

I got around it by setting my alarm for 8am and as soon as it would go off, I would immediately jump out of bed and swing my penis around in a 360 motion using my left hand.

I know what you're thinking..

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Spairos
I have tried this as well. If it doesnt work for you then put the alarm much away from your bed so you ll have to stand up in order to turn it off.

I do that too. Still being late or missing lectures. :frown: It is actually depressing.
Reply 126
I do that too. Still being late or missing lectures. :frown: It is actually depressing.

What is the reason? You still get back to bed?
Reply 127
Original post by Alofleicester
How?

All I've ever managed is 42 hours without.

Honestly? I don't know. it's part of my routine.
My body goes through three different stages: Getting 2-3 hours sleep a night, staying awake for anywhere between 24-45 hours and crashing...

The trouble is that I am such a deep sleeper so it's usually out of need that I don't sleep much during the semester. I've slept through alarms, fire alarms, housemates waking me up despite them saying that they had a conversation with me. problem is though not that I can't sleep - but that I can't sleep at the right time. I've tried resetting my bodyclock every week for the past year and nothing has worked permanently... i've tried nearly every trick... next step is a doctor :/

Just a small edit too: I've got a very high caffeine tolerance, red Bull, black coffee, energy drinks, pro plus have very little effect on me.

i'm fine when it's the holidays because I can stick to a normal (for me) cycle...

However, it sucks in winter when you don't see any kind of sunlight for a full week because you fall asleep at 8/9 and wake up at 5
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 128
9am lectures are a struggle for me. I swear I've sub-conciously learnt how to switch multiple alarms off without waking up...
Original post by Spairos
What is the reason? You still get back to bed?

Yes. :frown:
I told myself that I will wake up at the next alarm ring. :frown:
All lies.
Original post by jsd26
I have an alarm on for 8.00, 8.05, 8.10, 8.15 etc until i wake up

This is what I do - except I regularly need to leave the house at 7am to get to work so it's 5:00, 5:15, 5:30, 5:45 for me :frown:
Original post by Dave454
9am lectures are a struggle for me. I swear I've sub-conciously learnt how to switch multiple alarms off without waking up...

Ditto - I find putting them in really far away places helps - on top of wardrobes or bookshelves is good....anywhere where you'd have to be awake enough to balance your body to get to them... I also occasionally blindly chuck my phone into a pile of clothes (I rock the floordrobe so it'll always have a soft landing) to ensure that I struggle to find it in the morning - and again frustration and physical exertion usually wakes me up.

Also promising yourself a nap is good...if you have a break for an hour in the middle of the day grab a quick sandwich and lie down. If it works for pre-schoolers...
Reply 132
Yes. :frown:
I told myself that I will wake up at the next alarm ring. :frown:
All lies.

Sign a contract with yourself and put it next the alarm clock for the next day to find it when you wake up and stand up for the alarm

No kidding its a Psychology science approach
Please let me know if the result

All the best,
My first classes in university started at 7am every day. I had to wake at 5:30 and leave my house at 6:15...It was a nightmare
Set your alarm for 0700 hrs then wash some pro-plus down with a good can of Red Bull. Go back to sleep then - *ping*

0800 hrs wide awake.

I did this at uni.

Original post by Diplomat28
My first classes in university started at 7am every day.

:eek:

Where at?? The University of Hell? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 135
Original post by Marlene Dietrich
Ditto - I find putting them in really far away places helps - on top of wardrobes or bookshelves is good....anywhere where you'd have to be awake enough to balance your body to get to them... I also occasionally blindly chuck my phone into a pile of clothes (I rock the floordrobe so it'll always have a soft landing) to ensure that I struggle to find it in the morning - and again frustration and physical exertion usually wakes me up.

Also promising yourself a nap is good...if you have a break for an hour in the middle of the day grab a quick sandwich and lie down. If it works for pre-schoolers...

Good strategy.
But still this must only be for temporary use only. It will destroy your nerves system.
You should be able to stand up just when you hear the alarm without the need of frustration which is not the best way to start a day
Original post by Spairos
Sign a contract with yourself and put it next the alarm clock for the next day to find it when you wake up and stand up for the alarm

No kidding its a Psychology science approach
Please let me know if the result

All the best,

I will try this.

Cheers! :smile:
Original post by Station
Does anyone else struggle with this?

I find that unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time I am unable to fall asleep early enough on the night before my 9am lectures. I just end up lieing in bed for about 5 hours or so.

I often end up staying awake all night just to attend them at times, but this is pretty draining both physically and mentally so I end up missing quite a few of them.

so many of us get up at 5:45 for school
I don't understand people that can't get up... I can just force myself to get out of bed when I know I NEED to. People who get out to turn the alarm clock off then consciously make the decision to get back into bed confuse me.
Reply 139
Original post by Shelly_x
I don't understand people that can't get up... I can just force myself to get out of bed when I know I NEED to. People who get out to turn the alarm clock off then consciously make the decision to get back into bed confuse me.

it's all about psychology

Quick Reply

Latest