The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shelly_x
I don't understand people that can't get up... I can just force myself to get out of bed when I know I NEED to. People who get out to turn the alarm clock off then consciously make the decision to get back into bed confuse me.

I wouldn't say that in those first few seconds or even minutes of waking up that anyone can make informed decisions. I wouldn't be able to have a phone coversation with my bank manager or my boss, for example.

Most people are pretty much like zombies in the first few minutes after waking up. Therefore, we aren't rationally weighing up the pros and cons of hitting an alarm clock off and falling back to sleep. It's quite natural to want to stop a noise that has awoken you and get back to sleep. It's the lifesytles that we have in modern society which are in conflict with our instincts/natural behavior.
Reply 141
Agree, tho the best is to always wake up the same time EVERY day so you will eventually have no need for an alarm clock
I have to be up at 6 for my 9am lectures... I hate being up before the sun. This snow hasn't helped either, I had to skip my tuesday lecture.
Reply 143
I only have one 9am lecture at present and one 9am lab slot. As I am commuting from outside the city (not feasible to change) I have an hour's trip in to university in the morning (due to rush-hour traffic, 25 minutes other times). I do not relish having to get up before 8am especially in winter, I'm not really a "morning person". I'm a major insomniac too.

Things were much worse last academic year though. In my second semester I had a 9am lecture 5 days a week. That is simply nasty, particularly with the need to commute every morning in the rush hour.
I live a 10min cycle away and it's still hard. I set my alarm and then I snooze and snooze and snooze. The worst is when I accidentally switch off my snooze button and I have manually set my alarm for 5 minutes later. :frown:
Original post by christykai1049

Original post by christykai1049
really?? how far away from uni do you live??

Well i live in walthamstow east London and my uni is in Kingston lol
Original post by Shelly_x
I don't understand people that can't get up... I can just force myself to get out of bed when I know I NEED to. People who get out to turn the alarm clock off then consciously make the decision to get back into bed confuse me.

When I wake up at 6am on a freezing monday I realise that staying in bed forever is infinitely preferable to doing the things that I apparently need to do.
9AM lectures every day - I miss maybe 2 every week? If I miss the 9AM one, I'll just sleep the entire day out. I miss out on so much content though, but I'm just too tired - probably from surfing the internet at this very time, every single day.
Reply 148
attempting to stay up all night to fix my sleeping pattern for a few days, any tips?
Reply 149
Original post by ilem
attempting to stay up all night to fix my sleeping pattern for a few days, any tips?

On how to stay up?
Got a 9am in 7 hours, any tips? :tongue:
Reply 151
Original post by theultimateplu
Got a 9am in 7 hours, any tips? :tongue:

Get off TSR
Reply 152
Original post by Spairos
On how to stay up?

Yeah. I have to stay awake until around 1pm and there's no coffee or energy drinks available :frown:
Reply 153
Original post by Station
Does anyone else struggle with this?

I find that unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time I am unable to fall asleep early enough on the night before my 9am lectures. I just end up lieing in bed for about 5 hours or so.

I often end up staying awake all night just to attend them at times, but this is pretty draining both physically and mentally so I end up missing quite a few of them.

This was hard for me in London when I lived 2 hours away from uni!

Had to get up at 6am!
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
I wake up at 6 am to get to lectures at 9. :pierre:

Same. My saving grace is that i only have a 9am one twice a week.

It's still an absolute chore to wake up for though.
Original post by Kevin J
i use to struggle with this too.

I got around it by setting my alarm for 8am and as soon as it would go off, I would immediately jump out of bed and swing my penis around in a 360 motion using my left hand.

I know what you're thinking..

Spoiler

Daily masturbation session? Such a pleasurable way of waking up.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I wouldn't say that in those first few seconds or even minutes of waking up that anyone can make informed decisions. I wouldn't be able to have a phone coversation with my bank manager or my boss, for example.

Most people are pretty much like zombies in the first few minutes after waking up. Therefore, we aren't rationally weighing up the pros and cons of hitting an alarm clock off and falling back to sleep. It's quite natural to want to stop a noise that has awoken you and get back to sleep. It's the lifesytles that we have in modern society which are in conflict with our instincts/natural behavior.

Wise words. Something beautiful. :wink:
i cant stand it
but ill make them if iv had my sleep but once im their its like why bother im to tired to listen? thank god for coffee
and why is it at a 9am lecture its always with the guy with the most dull voice in the world?
You get used to having to do it on no sleep, trust me!
It's quite common for me to turn up on 2 hours sleep, fully awake and been able to not sleep through an alarm like I did so often in 1st year....
infact, i'm still wide awake 19 hours after my 2 hour nap, my sleeping pattern is well and truly messed up.
Reply 159
Original post by Station
Does anyone else struggle with this?

I find that unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time I am unable to fall asleep early enough on the night before my 9am lectures. I just end up lieing in bed for about 5 hours or so.

I often end up staying awake all night just to attend them at times, but this is pretty draining both physically and mentally so I end up missing quite a few of them.

Not only do I have three 9am starts, it takes me an hour and a half to get into uni. I have to be up by 7, and I have insomnia and NEVER go to bed earlier than 3, 4 if I'm lucky, but by about 7am usually :P So no sleep. I missed so many of the lectures that I was threatened to be booted off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending