Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression Society MKVI

Announcements Posted on
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    It's a deal :five:

What kind of wrestling are we talking about here?

Yes. It feels :proud:
    We were wrestling in superwolf's kitchen. Kind of grappling with each other trying to trip the other one up. It was fun Not quite WWF style.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    So how does one go about getting an appointment at the doctors surgery when you have to phone up before 9am and haven't been up before midday in two weeks? :holmes:

Also, how do I explain that I don't want to try any meds because I can't function right now, and if I take something that zombies me out I will just go backwards
    Have you tried calling them up after 12 and explaining that you can't get up early? I was reading a doctor's surgery report once about how they're meant to make reasonable adjustments to people, including people who can't get up early for legitimate reasons.

Not all meds zombie you out.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    We were wrestling in superwolf's kitchen. Kind of grappling with each other trying to trip the other one up. It was fun Not quite WWF style.
    I'm intrigued. But I would think I would be defeated easily really lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So how does one go about getting an appointment at the doctors surgery when you have to phone up before 9am and haven't been up before midday in two weeks? :holmes:

Also, how do I explain that I don't want to try any meds because I can't function right now, and if I take something that zombies me out I will just go backwards
    Hey, my docs allow me to make an appointment whenever I ring (unless I want one on the day, then that's before 9am) - can you just make one for a few days time?

Fluoxetine has made me feel less zombied than before I started taking it........ Might level you out a bit. I was on a 1-2 out of 10 before moodwise and felt like I was balanced on a knife edge of panic, now I've levelled out at about a 4 ish (well, in the last few days at least) and feel like I'm on a wider base. Might be worth a shot... :hugs:
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeaJay)
    Hey, my docs allow me to make an appointment whenever I ring (unless I want one on the day, then that's before 9am) - can you just make one for a few days time?

Fluoxetine has made me feel less zombied than before I started taking it........ Might level you out a bit. I was on a 1-2 out of 10 before moodwise and felt like I was balanced on a knife edge of panic, now I've levelled out at about a 4 ish (well, in the last few days at least) and feel like I'm on a wider base. Might be worth a shot... :hugs:
    Have you tried calling them up after 12 and explaining that you can't get up early? I was reading a doctor's surgery report once about how they're meant to make reasonable adjustments to people, including people who can't get up early for legitimate reasons.

Not all meds zombie you out.
    Absolutely no lee way in when I can ring, I've tried before to get an appointment after 9am and they just tell you to ring back tomorrow. No way for them to budge

I know not all meds zombie you out but the ones they seem to like putting me on do and with two cheerleading competitions coming (one next Sunday and one the Saturday after) meaning that I'm training four times a week alongside the competing I can not afford to be anything other than right on the ball. Especially as I see to be the only person in our god damn stunt group who seems to know what's going on. After these comps are done I'll be happy to go on anything they prescribe, but I don't know what to do for these two weeks. Oh god. :cry:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I have no idea, I'm still in bed. Don't think I could be any less productive right now.
    Me neither, got dressed about 3pm, just started reading notes for the hard module for a few mins while lunch was cook. So mad at myself for wasting so much of the day, just didn't want to get out of bed. Doubt I'm going to achieve much today. :sigh:
    (Original post by SciFiBoy)

they know am depressed but not really sure what they can do to help me atm
    Do have any assignments coming up soon?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imbuzzinme)
    I can't sleep so thought I'd reply:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Depression doesn't discriminate. Going to see your GP is a good idea. I might sound like a hypocrite as I've been putting it off for a while but they can and will help you. It's just making that first step. And I usually find its easier to talk about your problems with strangers than it is with close ones. But if you do think you'd struggle maybe write how you're feeling down on a piece of paper and bring it along with you?
    Spoiler:
    Show

The writing everything down sounds like a good idea. Problem is I just don't like feeling vulnerable or being judged, and I feel my close friends and family would be less judgemental than some stranger.

(Original post by ViceVersa)
    Spoiler:
    Show

To me, as well as admitting what's going on or disclosing it to those closest, going to the GP and talking about it is the hardest. But like you said, you want to talk about the possibility, and the GP would be the best person to tell you - not self diagnosis. It does seem very likely that you have depression, but remember that a lot of people do (1 in 10 adults irrc) so you're not alone. And you definitely won't be on this thread I assure you :hugs: Also, although most people who are depressed have something like a life event that triggers it, but that isn't always the case, you can become depressed even though you feel you should be happy that time - there is a strong biological basis for depression.

I know it terrifies you, and it terrifies me for years too, but when things got really bad, I realised I couldn't deal with it alone anymore without professional support. I personally think you should go now, otherwise you might go threw that. From about October or so, until the present, I've had the most horrible time ever (it was far worse from Christmas until January) and I wouldn't want to think you might feel as **** as I did too :nah:

You don't have to talk to your parents first - talk to the GP and he can put you through to people (health care people) who could really help you. Then you can think about whether or not you want anyone else knowing. There are a lot of people on this thread whose parents don't know, so it's not prerequisite.

I know you're worried because your GP is a stranger and all, but you should know that mostly makes it easier to talk to him! Because then you don't have to worry about being judged or about anything you tell him. And you won't have to speak to him all the time (he will not be your therapist if you need one!) if you hate him (I wasn't fund of the woman I spoke to :no:) so it's really only once or twice (twice for me) you have to go.

Hope I helped and I hope you try out the things I've stated. What I love about this thread is that I never have to pretend because everybody feels the same, so it actually gets almost addictive to post here everyday feel free and welcome, and you're always welcome to PM me too if you'd like
    Spoiler:
    Show

If I'd already been diagnosed I'd probably be a bit easier going to see my GP, but with it just being a possibility, I feel like I'd be wasting the GP's time if everything's fine.
    Thanks for the advice, and the offer of PM'ing if I need it :hugs:

(Original post by superwolf)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Cider society! :jumphug: (the overlap between the cider society and the depression society is bloody ridiculous )

I think you've already got some pretty good advice - seeing a doctor is a very good first step. And you might find telling other people easier once you've already practised on the doctor, and when you have a clearer idea of what might be wrong with you.

If you're worried about not being able to tell the doctor then one thing you can do is to write out a list of everything you think is relevant, like mood, any sleep problems or loss of appetite, energy levels, and anything else which you feel is affecting you. n Then once you're talking to the GP you can either use your list to refer to and make sure you don't forget anything, or else just hand it over for them to read.

This society is seriously ****ing awesome, so you've done the right thing by posting here. :yep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

It is, still Cider is bloody awesome. Got a beer festival trip a week on Thursday (23rd Feb), so got a lot of cider to try that day (even with a 10-5 day in labs the next day - whoops :teehee:). Also responsible now for organising most outings for my uni's Ale & Cider society.

That most of my social life revolves around alcohol probably isn't great for me, but damn it's delicious. :yep:

I know seeing a doctor is the right thing to do, but I can't seem to bring myself to believe it. Still, it's the right thing to do, so I'll force myself to if I absolutely have to.

Thanks for all the replies.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no lee way in when I can ring, I've tried before to get an appointment after 9am and they just tell you to ring back tomorrow. No way for them to budge

I know not all meds zombie you out but the ones they seem to like putting me on do and with two cheerleading competitions coming (one next Sunday and one the Saturday after) meaning that I'm training four times a week alongside the competing I can not afford to be anything other than right on the ball. Especially as I see to be the only person in our god damn stunt group who seems to know what's going on. After these comps are done I'll be happy to go on anything they prescribe, but I don't know what to do for these two weeks. Oh god. :cry:
    Hmmm...set 2 alarms on the opposite side of the room, get up, call, go back to sleep.

Alternatively, stay up all night, call as soon as they open then go to sleep after?

I can't really think of any other way round it. Maybe ask a friend who wakes up early to call for you? I would offer but I'm going to be at the doctors myself first thing monday morning.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys... Hope your all ok... Im not having a such a great day today. Feeling really anxious....dunno why Im telling you all this... just makes me feel like Im not so alone. sozz
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first two nights on my tablets I didn't sleep at all, but felt perfectly awake all day. Now I'm sleeping twelve hours straight without any problems and feeling sleepy all day. I don't understand ><
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warp2125)
    Hey guys... Hope your all ok... Im not having a such a great day today. Feeling really anxious....dunno why Im telling you all this... just makes me feel like Im not so alone. sozz
    Any reason for feeling anxious? :console:
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Going to deal with replies later. So sorry anyone who quoted me and I haven't replied.

[sarcasm]So, appointment with Dr Adams went well[/sarcasm].
    Spoiler:
    Show

Some of the best highlights:
    - I am not depressed, or at least only very slightly similar to people who are depressed.
    - My problem is low self-worth.
    - I will feel completely better if I go to sleep at 10pm, get up at 7am, and have 3 meals a day. He especially liked saying I should have porridge for breakfast.
    --- Despite me telling him in the past I have kept reasonable sleep patterns and eating patterns, and things have still got worse. Apparently, that happens, and it is my fault by not keeping the sleep patterns that it keeps happening. (Circular logic much?)
    - This may mean I have to give up talking to any of you in real time, but thats ok, as I can make new friends.
    - Things are just going to get harder as I get older.
    - He says to people who take heroin that they have to make the effort themselves, just as I do. They have a decision, either give it up, or die. (Mirrors my decision, yes - either I eat and sleep properly, somehow magicing the will power to do so, or I kill myself. Considering I told him I was feeling more and more suicidal at the start of our chat, I wonder which option I will take?)
    - No point taking medication, he doesn't have any ideas for any other ones to try. (Seems we have more knowledge of anti-depressants than him, and even when I suggested things he shrugged it off)
    - Going to have a letter sent to a clinical psychologist, to give me some advice, not to be seen as a patient, although they might want to take me on. They don't like drugs though.
    - He did suggest going way above the maximum treatment dose, apparently that sometimes worked for people with treatment-resistant depression at a clinic he went to, 1 person got better at way over the maximum treatment dose, and 10 got poisoned. It might hit the mood-centred part of the brain. As maybe mine is 'resistant'. Or just 'wobbly'. Unlike people with normal depression who have broken mood-centred brains?

I almost broke down in tears in front of him, but managed not to. I really don't want to see him again now, but there are no other psych's I can see!
    ****ing hell Rob.

:Jumphugs:

No ****ing way are we not talking in real time, 'Dr' Adams can shove that idea firmly where the sun doesn't shine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yea, but its a long winded story....the short version is that I started suffering from anxiety/panic attacks last easter. Have been able to keep most things in check.... but when it came to going on a uni trip to brussels I freaked out and couldnt face up to going... I really wanted to but couldnt... now all my class mates are all happy and chatty about the fun they had.

I guess I just feel left out... sounds stupid i know.
    • 74 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Spoiler:
    Show

If I'd already been diagnosed I'd probably be a bit easier going to see my GP, but with it just being a possibility, I feel like I'd be wasting the GP's time if everything's fine.
    Thanks for the advice, and the offer of PM'ing if I need it :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You're not wasting the GP's time - you're more likely too if you get too bad as opposed to going earlier and preventing that from happening. Even if you didn't have depression, it will only be good news to your GP and not a time waste. I'm sure he/she will be more likely to be happy over you going earlier to see if you might, than not going at all and struggling on your own. :hugs:

No worries

Hi! :hello:
    Is there something that's making you feel anxious, or is it just a general feeling?

(Original post by Lizia)
    The first two nights on my tablets I didn't sleep at all, but felt perfectly awake all day. Now I'm sleeping twelve hours straight without any problems and feeling sleepy all day. I don't understand &gt;&lt;
    Must be a pain, hopefully it'll settle down in time.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yea, but its a long winded story....the short version is that I started suffering from anxiety/panic attacks last easter. Have been able to keep most things in check.... but when it came to going on a uni trip to brussels I freaked out and couldnt face up to going... I really wanted to but couldnt... now all my class mates are all happy and chatty about the fun they had.

Hmm, I know that feeling, I've missed out on so many things I wanted to do because of anxiety. Have you thought about seeing a doctor and maybe try to get referred to counseling? They might be able to help you discover the reasons behind your anxiety and panic attacks.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laut_biru)
    x

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

|
    |
    |
    V

:jumphug:
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too be fair I don't see why everyone is hating on this Dr Adams for? Just because a doctor tells you things you don't believe to be true or want to hear doesn't mean they are wrong or should be insulted in this thread. I can't say but maybe it is that you have low self-worth and not depression, they can have very similar symptoms and frankly is anyone else in this thread actually qualified to judge? Maybe he doesn't feel drugs are appropriate for you or that you have tried the one's he thinks would suit you. if you do have low self-worth then what is wrong with an appointment with a clinical psychologist?

Met this thread ****s me off sometimes, I am in a bad mood, yes.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:

:console:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I went out of the house just now but needed to return home immediately because of the bad weather.I was cursing and asking myself why the hell these things are happening to me. What wrong did I do? Why? I just wanted to buy food. Is that so bad?

I have no idea really. I just don't know why I get irritated so easily =(
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I know that feeling, I've missed out on so many things I wanted to do because of anxiety. Have you thought about seeing a doctor and maybe try to get referred to counseling? They might be able to help you discover the reasons behind your anxiety and panic attacks.
    Yea I have seen the doctor and had the councilor. It comes back to repressed problems from early school days. Because it has been repressed it has to come out... its just it happens at the worst times.
Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.