The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Idle
Hey just going to bring this point up in here, if people disagree fair enough, I won't be really posting in here because of it so.

I remember when I first started posting in this society, as a place that cheered me up and everyone tried to have a laugh together while discussing their problems. In the past 6 months (I have been part of this and now realise it's wrong) more and more talk of people wanting to kill themselves, self harming etc.. It is almost as if some people (including me before) were/are using this thread in place of professional help when I don't think that should be the purpose of the thread, we all have our own problems and I can't see how a thread that can't go a few pages without such things being brought up is healthy for anyone with depression, or anyone in general actually.

I do see your point, and agree with most of it. That being said, it can be helpful at times to have people to talk to about certain things that understand how you're feeling and won't judge you.

PS: Very much missed you all when TSR was down yesterday :hugs:
Reply 2741

Spoiler

Does anyone here have psychotic depression? Is it possible to overcome this and live without medication or is it something which has to always be controlled with meds?
Original post by angelbones
I do see your point, and agree with most of it. That being said, it can be helpful at times to have people to talk to about certain things that understand how you're feeling and won't judge you.

I know - i couldnt get on yesterday and i was like eh this is wierd, i make no sense - me no likey no TSR :smile:
Reply 2744

Same. Missed everyone too :jumphug:.
Reply 2745
Had some weird anxiety attack earlier about going to work tonight, I was talking to my boyfriend about how i didn't want to go and i just got really upset for no reason :/ I enjoy my job, but for some reason the thought of having to go outside and go somewhere was really distressing to me, I've calmed down now but all i want to do is ring in sick :/
Reply 2746
Original post by Idle
Hey just going to bring this point up in here, if people disagree fair enough, I won't be really posting in here because of it so.

I remember when I first started posting in this society, as a place that cheered me up and everyone tried to have a laugh together while discussing their problems. In the past 6 months (I have been part of this and now realise it's wrong) more and more talk of people wanting to kill themselves, self harming etc.. It is almost as if some people (including me before) were/are using this thread in place of professional help when I don't think that should be the purpose of the thread, we all have our own problems and I can't see how a thread that can't go a few pages without such things being brought up is healthy for anyone with depression, or anyone in general actually.

It'll probably go back to more like what it was before at some point. These past few days/weeks/months just seem to have been particularly rough for a lot of us (quite a few of us have been hospitalised etc.).

If you find it triggering then I agree that maybe it's best that you don't read through the thread atm, but don't feel that you have to leave it permanently. Maybe check back in a few weeks when you're hopefully feeing a bit better? We'll miss you around here :hugs:.
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone here have psychotic depression? Is it possible to overcome this and live without medication or is it something which has to always be controlled with meds?

Yes I have it, and no it doesn't have to mean a lifetime of medication. I don't take any regular medication at the moment, I still get a number of symptoms but I'm mostly learning to just live with them and cope. For me medication is worse than just putting up with feeling depressed and experiencing peculiar thoughts, ideas of reference, and hearing things because I hate the side effects of antipsychotics such as slowed thinking, difficulties concentrating, hypotension, weight gain, etc. Sometimes it's a lot of work and I wont lie to you my motivation still suffers a lot, but I'm getting by and I'm not as ill as I used to be.

With conscious effort you can overcome many things, I still get a lot of weird ideas coming into my head but I am better able to filter them out and just plod on with things. Also many sufferers with psychotic depression will experience long periods between episodes where they are able to function on a completely normal level that includes employment, relationships, etc so it's not all doom and gloom.

I also have it but I'm on meds. If you can find a treatment regime that works well for you, with minimal side effects the medication isn't so bad. Sure it sucks, but, for me at least, it's better than the alternative. However, I heard psychotic depression doesn't generally last forever, so it's perfectly possible to take drugs during an episode then to stop them and find it's gone away completely. I'm not sure of recovery figures exactly but for some people it's certainly not a life long condition. Fire2burn is also right that there's often long periods in between episodes where you should be able to function fine.

Spoiler

Thanks, apparently someone is going to get in contact with me about, so will just see what happens I suppose.

Spoiler

How have you been? Safe to say I didn't know what to do last night without TSR. :mmm:
My gerbils and hamster are hoooome. Missed a week of uni which was a little awful but feeling much better for it.

Just glad that I have things that I have to take care of back :biggrin:
Reply 2751

Spoiler

Reply 2752
Original post by ParadoxSocks
My gerbils and hamster are hoooome. Missed a week of uni which was a little awful but feeling much better for it.

Just glad that I have things that I have to take care of back :biggrin:

Really want a hamster (called MC Hamster, obviously) - jealousy! Would give me a good reason to get up in the morning.... Glad you're feeling better :smile:

Original post by avhhs

Spoiler

What's up? :hugs:
Reply 2753
Original post by Nut.
It'll probably go back to more like what it was before at some point. These past few days/weeks/months just seem to have been particularly rough for a lot of us (quite a few of us have been hospitalised etc.).

If you find it triggering then I agree that maybe it's best that you don't read through the thread atm, but don't feel that you have to leave it permanently. Maybe check back in a few weeks when you're hopefully feeing a bit better? We'll miss you around here :hugs:.

I'm feeling OK tbh. It's not that I find it triggering as such I just find it hard to see how it helps anyone's mood, depressed or not. A lot of us have been hospitalised etc.. I just have gained the attitude that me going to a group of people with mental health problems and telling them how I want to kill myself or whatever else probably isn't really fair on them when there are trained professionals who I could say the same things to.
Reply 2754
Original post by SeaJay
What's up? :hugs:

Hi :hugs:

Spoiler

Reply 2755
Original post by avhhs
Hi :hugs:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 2756
Original post by SeaJay

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by SeaJay
Really want a hamster (called MC Hamster, obviously) - jealousy! Would give me a good reason to get up in the morning.... Glad you're feeling better :smile:

They're such a good reason to make sure I take care of myself and amuse me for hours when they're boinging around their cage. I get a little upset sometimes when I fall behind with keeping them clean but my girlfriend is pretty good at picking that up when I'm not feeling great.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
They're such a good reason to make sure I take care of myself and amuse me for hours when they're boinging around their cage. I get a little upset sometimes when I fall behind with keeping them clean but my girlfriend is pretty good at picking that up when I'm not feeling great.

I reeeeeally want a couple of rats for the same reason. Not sure my housemates next year would be too happy about it though, and my landlord certainly wouldn't (although my friend is allowed to keep a turtle).
One day I'll have some :moon:

How is everyone today?
Reply 2759
I reeeeeally want a couple of rats for the same reason. Not sure my housemates next year would be too happy about it though, and my landlord certainly wouldn't (although my friend is allowed to keep a turtle).
One day I'll have some :moon:

How is everyone today?

Hi :jumphug:. I'm not feeling too bad now. Was a bit upset earlier though.

Latest