The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by avhhs
Hi :jumphug:. I'm not feeling too bad now. Was a bit upset earlier though.

Awh good, glad you're feeling a bit better! :smile:
Original post by SeaJay
Really want a hamster (called MC Hamster, obviously) - jealousy! Would give me a good reason to get up in the morning.... Glad you're feeling better :smile:

What's up? :hugs:

:laugh: - I love it.

Maybe someone funnier than me can make a can't touch this - hamster pun?

Original post by angelbones
I reeeeeally want a couple of rats for the same reason. Not sure my housemates next year would be too happy about it though, and my landlord certainly wouldn't (although my friend is allowed to keep a turtle).
One day I'll have some :moon:

How is everyone today?

Pretty good given I failed to get anything done for a third day in a row.

How about you?
Original post by Alofleicester

Pretty good given I failed to get anything done for a third day in a row.

How about you?

There's alway tomorrow :hugs:

Not bad, ta. Wee bit stressed because my mum's coming down tomorrow, and I'm very tired, but otherwise quite good.
Reply 2763
Awh good, glad you're feeling a bit better! :smile:

Can't concentrate on anything though. Got loads of work :frown:

There's alway tomorrow :hugs:

Not bad, ta. Wee bit stressed because my mum's coming down tomorrow, and I'm very tired, but otherwise quite good.

That sounds good. Hopefully you will feel better :smile:
Reply 2764
Original post by Idle
I'm feeling OK tbh. It's not that I find it triggering as such I just find it hard to see how it helps anyone's mood, depressed or not. A lot of us have been hospitalised etc.. I just have gained the attitude that me going to a group of people with mental health problems and telling them how I want to kill myself or whatever else probably isn't really fair on them when there are trained professionals who I could say the same things to.

Hey, I can understand what you mean.... for what its worth Im glad you made this thread. It helped me when I was feeling really bad... It was just nice to know I wasnt alone... sometimes it just helps to know there are people out there that really do understand how you feel.

But you gotta do what you gotta do m8.
Original post by ViceVersa
Will reply to your PM in a min, but hope you're better today dear :hugs:

Thank you :hugs: How are you doing today? Reply in your own time, I don't mind when, just as long as you're ok :smile:
Original post by FuzzySheep
Thank you :hugs: How are you doing today? Reply in your own time, I don't mind when, just as long as you're ok :smile:

I'm much better today thank you :smile: and thanks, I've just been really busy. I might not even reply until tomorrow sorry! How are you today? :hugs:
Reply 2767
Original post by ParadoxSocks
They're such a good reason to make sure I take care of myself and amuse me for hours when they're boinging around their cage. I get a little upset sometimes when I fall behind with keeping them clean but my girlfriend is pretty good at picking that up when I'm not feeling great.

:smile: I might have to ask my landlord/housemates if they won't mind. Hmm.... Really miss having pets about the place. Spent ages holding my friend's leopard gecko last night. Lovely, but not quite as fuzzy as a hamster... Glad your gf helps you out with them.

I reeeeeally want a couple of rats for the same reason. Not sure my housemates next year would be too happy about it though, and my landlord certainly wouldn't (although my friend is allowed to keep a turtle).
One day I'll have some :moon:

How is everyone today?

I used to look after bald rats at my local pets corner. They were the ugliest things, but so cute and amusing. They all escaped one day - catching them all was a bit tricky!

V tired today :frown: Didn't sleep at all last night.

Original post by Alofleicester

:bigsmile: dammit - can't think of one!

Didn't get much done today either. :frown: Hopefully will sleep tonight then productivity/productiveness(?) can happen tomorrows.

:hugs: for everyone.
Original post by ViceVersa
I'm much better today thank you :smile: and thanks, I've just been really busy. I might not even reply until tomorrow sorry! How are you today? :hugs:

Very happy to hear it :smile: That's no problem at all, take your time! Keeping busy sounds good though. Eh, not so good. Spent most of the day in bed really, not much energy or motivation to do much else, which isn't good seeing how much work I still have to do for next week. Argh. Will see how it goes :smile: Thank you for asking :hugs:
Original post by FuzzySheep
Very happy to hear it :smile: That's no problem at all, take your time! Keeping busy sounds good though. Eh, not so good. Spent most of the day in bed really, not much energy or motivation to do much else, which isn't good seeing how much work I still have to do for next week. Argh. Will see how it goes :smile: Thank you for asking :hugs:

Thanks :redface: Yeah that's what I'm trying to do. Really tired and lethargic lately though. Generally wan :frown: Not good, and pattern's still messed up. I know how you feel :hugs: I have a lot of work as well :frown: Hope it goes well! and no worries :hugs:
Hey guys, I found this site amazingly useful: http://www.healthtalkonline.org/mental_health/

It's a series of videos and stories by real people with a host of mental health problems. A lot of it I could relate to and it was really awesome to know I wasn't alone and other people have gone through the same things (and come out the other side!). I'd really recommend just browsing a couple of videos if you have a spare 10 mins :smile:
Reply 2771
Not having a brilliant day (/week/month/year).

Still haven't managed to get to a lecture, screening or seminar all semester, despite first attempting to get 'back in the swing of things' over 2 weeks ago.

Beginning to think that I shouldn't really be studying for a degree. I could intercalate, but I'll only end up having similar problems next year, or in years 2 or 3, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get the funding to intercalate again. Besides, I don't want to be 26 or 27 by the time I finally finish this degree.

Not really sure what to do now. I want to drop out, but I don't want to lose the support of the university and the doctors here, and I can't go back home. Going back for the holidays is bad enough.
Won't be able to hold down a job, and wouldn't be able to get one in the current climate anyway.

Completely out of options, as far as I can see.

(This could be quite triggering: )

Spoiler

Original post by Noodlzzz
Hey guys, I found this site amazingly useful: http://www.healthtalkonline.org/mental_health/

It's a series of videos and stories by real people with a host of mental health problems. A lot of it I could relate to and it was really awesome to know I wasn't alone and other people have gone through the same things (and come out the other side!). I'd really recommend just browsing a couple of videos if you have a spare 10 mins :smile:

Interesting website, I enjoyed watching some of the videos. :smile:

I managed to get maybe 3 hours sleep last night, better than I've done in a while but still absolute ****. Also had some weird waking dream thing when I lay in bed earlier today, it was like I was dreaming but I knew I was still awake, possibly caused by sleep deprivation...who knows? :holmes: Was going to spend another weekend alone but some awesome friends are on their way down to visit me, awesome awesome awesome, words cannot express how thankful I am that I'm not spending another weekend alone. 2 and a half weeks until I see a psychiatrist, I can do this, it's not that long it's possible.
Original post by Nut.
Not having a brilliant day (/week/month/year).

Still haven't managed to get to a lecture, screening or seminar all semester, despite first attempting to get 'back in the swing of things' over 2 weeks ago.

Beginning to think that I shouldn't really be studying for a degree. I could intercalate, but I'll only end up having similar problems next year, or in years 2 or 3, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get the funding to intercalate again. Besides, I don't want to be 26 or 27 by the time I finally finish this degree.

Not really sure what to do now. I want to drop out, but I don't want to lose the support of the university and the doctors here, and I can't go back home. Going back for the holidays is bad enough.
Won't be able to hold down a job, and wouldn't be able to get one in the current climate anyway.

Completely out of options, as far as I can see.

(This could be quite triggering: )

Spoiler

You thought about going on benefits? You could stay in your uni town, live in a house and go on benefits until you manage to get well enough to go back to uni or find a job? That way you get the support of your current doctor, you don't have to go home, you don't have the stress of uni and you have money to live. If you're in that bad a state you should qualify to get some benefits to keep you alive. Although, no work, no uni, no family....might send you crazy from boredom.
Really depressed today. Came home at lunch, got drunk, threw up, passed out. And now I feel sick, dizzy and have a headache as well as feeling depressed. I didn't think this through. I just want to curl up in a little ball but I have work to do due in tonight :frown:
Reply 2775
Original post by Sabertooth
You thought about going on benefits? You could stay in your uni town, live in a house and go on benefits until you manage to get well enough to go back to uni or find a job? That way you get the support of your current doctor, you don't have to go home, you don't have the stress of uni and you have money to live. If you're in that bad a state you should qualify to get some benefits to keep you alive. Although, no work, no uni, no family....might send you crazy from boredom.

It was brought up as an option by the Mental Health Coordinator here as a possible option but she said it takes weeks/months for it to come through, and I'm not sure I'd want to stay in Norwich if there's nothing, not even uni, to tie me to it.

I could try and do it back in my home town, but I'm not sure if my parents would understand why I don't want to live at home and I don't want to hurt them with them living within 5 miles of me.

I've just been looking up the entry requirements of all the decent uni's close to my home town, but they're all in London and I don't know how I'd cope with big city living. Brunel want BBB for History, but all the others want AAA*-AAA and mostly a 4th AS level, so if I dropped out and reapplied for a uni closer to home I'd have to resit one of my English exams, because I'm 5 marks off an A (currently have A*AB in History, Politics and English), and I might have to take a 4th AS level.

I also wouldn't be able to start the course until 2013, and mostly I'm not sure about government funding. I thought they only funded one degree, so if I drop out, I don't think they'd fund another, even if I was just on the first course for a year.
Dunno, I'd have to research that.

I'm not sure if this is something that I really want to do, or if I'm just doing my age old trick of running away, and 2013 seems far enough into the future to be without pressure, but that when it comes around I'll feel exactly the same as I do now. :s-smilie:

So yeah, I'm kinda mixed up at the moment. Guess I should talk to someone at uni about it on Monday.

In an ideal world, I don't think I even want a degree. I want my own place (and I want it small, I'm not one of those people that thinks "BIG HOUSE :teeth:"), I want a dog and some budgies, I want to love someone and be loved in return. That's pretty much it.

Trouble is, I'm not sure if this is me talking when I'm depressed, or if this is what I really want. I become a completely different person when I'm ill. But I have to accept that I've been ill since November, and I am depressed for a significant period of time each year usually, so my 'depressed opinions' do need a certain amount of gravitas in any decision I make.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud here. The decision would be easier if I had made friends here at uni, or if I had any good friends back home, but I've drifted from 75% of my old friends, and they're all at uni anyway.

It's all very well for me to think "yeah, I could handle living with my mum and dad again for 6-18 months" when I'm up here and away from there. Actually being there is a whole different thing.

Gah. Stupid indecisiveness.
(edited 12 years ago)
i'm meant to be doing my mood diary but let's face it i'm ****ing not.

i feel like crap today i'll be honest. i can see my optimism and drive slipping away, well what little i had for that tiny period of time. there's things i logically like doing in my head but i just don't have the motivation to do them anymore. struggling to see the point of doing anything and everything looks like effort. i'm so sad, i really want to do things but i'm not :s-smilie: also i hate my face
still ill and now stuck at home for at least another week :frown: definitely gonna have to redo my 2nd year or something now at Uni too.

really hate my life right now. :cry:
Reply 2778
Original post by SciFiBoy
still ill and now stuck at home for at least another week :frown: definitely gonna have to redo my 2nd year or something now at Uni too.

really hate my life right now. :cry:

:console: Hope you get better soon! :smile:.
Original post by avhhs
:console: Hope you get better soon! :smile:.

thanks, gonna be at least a week my doctor says though :frown:

Latest