The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5120
Original post by bullettheory
:hugs: Facebook is evil! It always makes me feel worse too!

:hugs:
Reply 5121
Original post by SeaJay

I know it's really easy to look at other people and think that they are having awesome lives, (I do it too and facebook can be a git.) If you look at my profile you would think I was ay ok at the moment... People only publish the positive things - chances are pretty high that they have bad times too.

Anyway :hugs: I know I haven't said hi for a while, but I have been reading your posts and am really glad to see that you've had some 'good' days :smile:

I'm ok today. Motivation pretty low and I got 3 hours of broken up sleep. Gonna go and play with/feed hamster then get a pizza for me then do some work. yes.

Also.. serious tmi...

Spoiler

Hi :jumphug:. Yeah most of my week was good, apart from something on Wednesday that got me upset (my friend accused me of being racist to her and also used some very dirty language) but everything is fine now :smile:.
And you would think the same thing if you saw my Facebook profile (which makes me look extremely boring :tongue:).

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by chadders91
Right .... hi all! I have been following the society for a while now (in a completely none stalker way) but have been far too self conscious to actually join or write anything at all. But I am trying to get over all that. I have been suffering with severe anxiety and depression for a fair few years now, however it’s got really quite bad again more recently and being in my final year at university it is currently affecting my dissertation and everything quite badly. Meant to currently be on medication but ran out and don’t really want to go back to the Drs because I always feel like a right idiot. Also the Drs know my parents and I haven’t told them about any of it yet. So yes I just wanted to say hi because from what I have seen this forum seems a really nice and supportive place for everyone and I could really do with something like that.

Welcome! :hugs:

I'm meant to be doing my dissertation next year and I'm terrified (as no doubt you will be comforted to hear :tongue:). For ideas on how your uni can help you re depression you might want to have a look at what I've said to Aemiliana below.

Original post by Aemiliana
I've already taken 2.5 weeks off due to this and then the side effects of the meds. And another week from being just generally ill and that's just this semester! If I didn't have this long essay to panic about, I'd be okay - I could catch up over Easter and all would be fine. But that won't work...

I'd actually be quite interested to know sort of what they do, because I'm going into this blind. The only thing that I do know is that my tutors have yet to send me nasty emails about rarely turning up.

Serendipitously enough, I just happen to have written a post to someone else on pretty much exactly the same topic. Here follows the post:

Spoiler

You might also want to check out the rest of the thread here, and see if it gives you any other ideas.

Original post by SeaJay
I'm ok today. Motivation pretty low and I got 3 hours of broken up sleep. Gonna go and play with/feed hamster then get a pizza for me then do some work. yes.

Also.. serious tmi...

Spoiler

Hamster! :h:

Spoiler

Original post by SeaJay
:hugs: Hey :smile: What's up? Wanna chat about anything? (you would be helping me procrastinate.... :colondollar:)

My Nanas pretty ill atm, I feel so far from home and useless :frown: It's st Patricks day and my uni town is massively into it (we have a lot of Irish people here as we're so close to Dublin by ferry) and I'm sat in on my todd doing nothing... Everyone is going out. I'm not going to lectures so what is the point of me being here for an extra week when I could be at home with my Nana and family and not stuck in this ****ty little town? :sad:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kiss_me_now9
My Nanas pretty ill atm, I feel so far from home and useless :frown: It's st Patricks day and my uni town is massively into it (we have a lot of Irish people here as we're so close to Dublin by ferry) and I'm sat in on my todd doing nothing... Everyone is going out. I'm not going to lectures so what is the point of me being here for an extra week when I could be at home with my Nana and family and not stuck in this ****ty little town? :sad:

Spoiler

:hugs: Hope you manage to go home. I didnt even realise it was Paddys day. Have you noticed that if you don't drink for ages getting drunk isn't as fun anymore and it just makes you more angry :frown:

I hate how I'm so full of hate and have so much bile over so many things. I'm thinking of leaving this forum. I can't take all the moronic crap people think any more.
Original post by Botticello
:hugs: Hope you manage to go home. I didnt even realise it was Paddys day. Have you noticed that if you don't drink for ages getting drunk isn't as fun anymore and it just makes you more angry :frown:

I hate how I'm so full of hate and have so much bile over so many things. I'm thinking of leaving this forum. I can't take all the moronic crap people think any more.

I'll be home this time next week (that's if various things don't happen in the mean time, which point I'll go home earlier - tbh I could go home Monday and just tell cheerleading to stick it, for all the tea in China I would but I have a commitment to the team and I won't abuse that unless I absolutely have to) but it just seems so far away :frown: I'm trying to get on with uni work and be productive but it's doubly hard when I'm thinking about being home so much.

Might be worth taking a break from TSR for a while if you feel like that? :hugs:
Reply 5126
I'm really ****ing ill :mad: :sad:.

Slept right through from 4am until about 15 minutes ago and I'm still exhausted, everything aches, I can't swallow or breathe through my nose and my brain feels like it's pulsing and swollen. Haven't been this ill since about year 9.

I never get physically ill, what the hell is wrong with me?!

Mentally I seem ok. Pissed off at myself for being ill, which isn't exactly in line with my therapist recommending I try being nice to me, but what the heck.
I thought the entire idea of nerves being all "ow I hurt" was to let the brain know that something was wrong. My brain definitely knows there is something wrong now, thank you, so can you all please stop sending signals!
Original post by SciFiBoy
makes no difference for me taking it in the evenings, though I can't say I have noticed any effects from taking it full stop :erm: idk, I would imagine so long as you take regularly it shouldn't matter too much what time of day, unless they make you sleepy or something anyway! hope you are well :smile:

Original post by rmhumphries
I took Escitalopram at night (8pm) and I didn't get any negative effects from doing so. Best thing to do is check with your doctor, and be aware it might make some side effects more noticeable, but otherwise should be ok.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Original post by SeaJay
Hi :smile: Welcome!

Sorry you're going through a crappy time :frown: Can you just get a repeat prescription form at your docs? That way you don't have to talk to anyone and they will review your medication then you can just pick up the prescription. Might be better than the withdrawal symptoms/a relapse.

Thanks for the response! I have no idea if I can just get a repeat prescription because they said they wanted me to go back in again as I was only recently moved on to citalopram from other stuff. But I am not sure would I just have to phone up the surgery about that?
I think part of the issue now is that I stopped taking my meds about 3 months ago now so I have already relapsed pretty badly which is totally my own fault which doesn't help :/

Original post by superwolf
Welcome! :hugs:

I'm meant to be doing my dissertation next year and I'm terrified (as no doubt you will be comforted to hear :tongue:). For ideas on how your uni can help you re depression you might want to have a look at what I've said to Aemiliana below.

Yer the dissertation has been really hard work, doing psychology so it's a research project too which has been difficult (and involved alot of being social with random people which I am rubbish at) I finish in a couple of months though so it's all good, not planning on getting in contact with the university about it. I am dyslexic too so had to get in contact with the DSO for all that, but I haven't been back to them since. Hate getting help from people because I don't think I need it (in comparison to others I mean, I clearly do need help) but really I just mess things up for myself :frown: Thanks though :smile:
I'll be home this time next week (that's if various things don't happen in the mean time, which point I'll go home earlier - tbh I could go home Monday and just tell cheerleading to stick it, for all the tea in China I would but I have a commitment to the team and I won't abuse that unless I absolutely have to) but it just seems so far away :frown: I'm trying to get on with uni work and be productive but it's doubly hard when I'm thinking about being home so much.

Might be worth taking a break from TSR for a while if you feel like that? :hugs:

I'm looking forward to home too, I enjoy uni but it's just that time of the term when you're sick of it. I probably will give it a rest soon. I despair of my generation sometimes, it makes me want to cry with frustration.
Original post by Nut.

Slept right through from 4am until about 15 minutes ago and I'm still exhausted, everything aches, I can't swallow or breathe through my nose and my brain feels like it's pulsing and swollen. Haven't been this ill since about year 9.

Mentally I seem ok. Pissed off at myself for being ill, which isn't exactly in line with my therapist recommending I try being nice to me, but what the heck.
I thought the entire idea of nerves being all "ow I hurt" was to let the brain know that something was wrong. My brain definitely knows there is something wrong now, thank you, so can you all please stop sending signals!

That sounds awful, I hope you make a speedy recovery, if it gets worse take a trip to your GP :hugs:
I feel like there's a weight in my chest dragging me down, I don't want to be sad anymore, I feel so heavy and it's always a struggle to get back up again :cry:
Just went to see the Devil Inside with a few friends and it was terrible. Turned down the offer of going out for drinks :frown:

Hope everybody's okay.
Original post by FuzzySheep
I feel like there's a weight in my chest dragging me down, I don't want to be sad anymore, I feel so heavy and it's always a struggle to get back up again :cry:

I understand what you mean, I get the heaviness in my chest too. Hope you ok x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5134

Spoiler

:hugs: I'm so sorry to hear your Nana's not well. Is there any way you could go home early? Nana's are pretty special - I miss both of mine very much.

Don't worry about Paddy's day. I'm not feeling it this year either. I should really be going out because my housemate's Irish, but she's going out with her deaf club so that kinda lets me off the hook for now.

I know what you mean about not wanting to eat, although for me it's generally a case of 'I'm not hungry, so why bother'. Can you make sure you take vitamin pills and such on days when you don't eat much? I do know that when I don't eat anything I feel far worse though.

Original post by Nut.

:hugs: I hope you get better soon chick. Being any kind of ill sucks

Original post by chadders91
Thanks for the response! I have no idea if I can just get a repeat prescription because they said they wanted me to go back in again as I was only recently moved on to citalopram from other stuff. But I am not sure would I just have to phone up the surgery about that?
I think part of the issue now is that I stopped taking my meds about 3 months ago now so I have already relapsed pretty badly which is totally my own fault which doesn't help :/

Probably not if it was a while ago, but there's no harm in just ringing up the surgery and checking. Was the citalopram helping you? If so, could you get someone to go with you to the docs so you can start taking it again? Hope you start feeling better soon :hugs:
Reply 5135
Original post by SeaJay

:hugs: I hope you get better soon chick. Being any kind of ill sucks

Original post by FuzzySheep
That sounds awful, I hope you make a speedy recovery, if it gets worse take a trip to your GP :hugs:

Thanks guys.
Waiting for flatmates to either go out or go to bed so I can heat up some beans or something :ninja:.
Reply 5136
I'm so bored and sick and tired of everything. Why can't my life be fun? Why can't there be anyone who I can go out with? :cry:
Original post by SeaJay
:hugs: I'm so sorry to hear your Nana's not well. Is there any way you could go home early? Nana's are pretty special - I miss both of mine very much.

Don't worry about Paddy's day. I'm not feeling it this year either. I should really be going out because my housemate's Irish, but she's going out with her deaf club so that kinda lets me off the hook for now.

I know what you mean about not wanting to eat, although for me it's generally a case of 'I'm not hungry, so why bother'. Can you make sure you take vitamin pills and such on days when you don't eat much? I do know that when I don't eat anything I feel far worse though.

I could technically go home tomorrow after training; I mean, I might have to go home early if my great aunts funeral is next Friday anyway (not looking likely) and for family emergencies, it is fine to go home and miss training. But there doesn't seem to be much point and seeing my Nana in a state would just upset me more :frown: Plus I live in Bucks and she lives in Cambridge so it's a bit of a way, especially as my Dad is at work in Yorkshire so we can't really get down there.

Spoiler

Original post by SeaJay
Probably not if it was a while ago, but there's no harm in just ringing up the surgery and checking. Was the citalopram helping you? If so, could you get someone to go with you to the docs so you can start taking it again? Hope you start feeling better soon :hugs:

Ok then well I will try to phone up and talk to them, its difficult trying to get back home from university anyway! It didn't help my anxiety at all, but it made me a lot calmer and stuff so was helpful for the depression I suppose! Only one person knows about my issues and stuff anyway and they are at university not back home, so got to go by myself, but guess I will have to give it a go! People seem to notice when I am not on it! But thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by superwolf

Serendipitously enough, I just happen to have written a post to someone else on pretty much exactly the same topic. Here follows the post:

Spoiler

You might also want to check out the rest of the thread here, and see if it gives you any other ideas.

Thanks. I'm not really sure how DSA would be any help or even given to someone with depression though :erm:

---

Feel like a bag of ****. Really don't want to do anything, I just want to lie in bed in the dark and cry.

Latest